Studio Headphones + Audio Interface Dilemma

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

I am looking to buy studio headphones and an audio interface for my iMac.
My budget is around $400.

After a long research, here are my favorite studio headphones:

1. AKG K 701
2. Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro
3. Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

and audio interfaces:

1. Akai Professional EIE Pro 24-bit
2. TASCAM US-2x2
3. Steinberg UR22

What do you suggest me to get? What is the best bang for the buck? Or, do you have even better suggestions?

Thank you in advance. I would really appreciate to her your suggestions/opinions. :)

Hi. I would add the audiotechnica ath m50x to the hedphones list. It's very good for multiple tasks, specially for composing and listening to music are superb, for mixing I am not so sure, but I'm not sure about any headphone for mixing :-). It's not expensive and is very easy to drive, wich is important with some interfaces. I think you can not get better in that price range.

About the interface, from your list I would choose the UR22 without a doubt. If another brand, Focusrite are very nice, good price/quality ratio too.

AKG K701 - highly recommended.

I use the AKGs everyday and prefer them to my Sennheiser HD650. The Bayers DT770 Pro, which I also like, would make for a great second choice to give you a different sound (which is more hyped - more pronounced bass and treble - but in a nice way).

But then, you should try your best to find a shop that has these headphones, and audition them with a selection of tracks that you know well.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I second the recommendation for the ATH M50, but from your list, I'd go with the K701.

The audio interface, the UR22 is really great for the price. The only competitor in that price segment is the Scarlett 2i2, which is excellent also, but lacks the MIDI I/O (this may not matter at all to you, though). From your list, I'd definitely get the UR22.

Thank you all for your valuable replies!

I forgot to mention that I am planning to use them for producing, and if possible mixing and mastering, since I am not able to use studio monitors (but I plan to finish tracks in the real studio tho).

Audiotechnica ATH-M50x was on my list due to price and quality ratio, but I was concerned that they are not acoustically open headphone like for instance DT 990 PRO or K701. I have read, even on this forum, that open headphones are better for mixing, mastering, and sound accuracy.

In regards to audio interfaces, again, Steinberg UR22 was one of my favorites due to price quality ratio; but I feel in love with Akai Professional EIE Pro 24-bit, especially when I found it for $180. I am planning to use this audio interface even when I get the studio monitors, because I have heard that iMac's integrated soundcards are bad, but I still have a dilemma what should I buy with both headphones and audio interface.

I am open for any other suggestions other than what is on the list. :)

Keep in mind that TASCAM technical support is nearly non-existent. If they release a product that is buggy, like the US-800, they simply stop support of the product and leave users hanging. Scarlett series is pretty great, very nice pre-amps for the money. With phones, make sure that you get closed back design if you plan to use them to monitor while recording anything audio to avoid bleed from the phones to the mic.

Thank you for TASCAM input. I will definitely remove them from my list! :)
I was also considering Scarlett 2i2, but I forgot to put it on this list.

I do not plan to record anything, and that's why I believe it's better to buy open headphones.

Also, I plan to use the audio interface for the studio monitors later in the future.

So my question is if these audio interfaces, mentioned above, will both be useful as a headphone amp (for DT990 - to drive them accurately and use the full potential) and to use the studio monitors, such as KRK RP6 Rokit Powered Studio Monitor?

The Scarlett mix control software will allow different 'mixes' to be sent to different outputs. My Scarlett 18i8 has a main monitor out and two different assignable headphone outs, in addition to SPDIF I/O. I can make different mixes in the mix control applet for each of them. At first it's intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, very nice to have on-hand. For the 2i2, I'm not sure how many different independent assignable outs there might be.

rockstar_not, thank you for your help!

I have finally decided to get Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO and Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6.

I believe that Komplete 6 suits me the best because I produce electronic music, and DT990 because of their frequency response, flat response, they are open, and most importantly - the price - brand new for $169. If anyone is interested, you can PM me and I will tell you where I bought it.

Also, I was told that if Komplete Audio 6 is not capable to drive properly my DT990 (250 ohm), that I should buy an 48V adapter.
Your thoughts on that guys?

venture wrote:
Also, I was told that if Komplete Audio 6 is not capable to drive properly my DT990 (250 ohm), that I should buy an 48V adapter.
Your thoughts on that guys?
What?

There is no such thing. I think either one of three things is happening:

1. You misunderstood whatever the person told you that you thought you heard '48V adapter' or
2. Whomever sold you the equipment has no clue what they are talking about
3. They are dishonest and trying to find out how much they can take advantage of you.

Deleted

scouting for headphones myself... this can be helpful for a relative comparison... (I'm leaning towards the ATH m40x model)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jegG3u46-v

3ee wrote:scouting for headphones myself... this can be helpful for a relative comparison... (I'm leaning towards the ATH m40x model)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jegG3u46-v
Don't do iiiit! Buy the ATH M50's over the 40's.

As a few people have mentioned, the ATH -M50's are awesome. I use them for literally everything. My mate owns a set of K701's and says theyre pretty quiet and don't have a lot of bottom end as you do with the M50's.

^ well, depending on what you want the m50x model could be helpful or not.

If you want reference headphones for mixing, people all over the internet say they are bassy thus not that balanced and they point to the more balanced m40x model instead (again, for mixing/mastering)

But anyway, it doesn't matter for me anymore since I already ordered AKG K-612 Pro instead. :D

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”