Is listening to another song while making yours fine ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm learning to make mainly afro-pop beats plus every other kind of beat I can manage to make.

(Not always, but) Sometimes I hear beats from big producers in my area and I want to make beats like that, not exactly, but similar. It kind of make me feel less creative.

My question is, is it fine/ok to listen to a song in a particular genre while making a beat in that genre ? Probably using similar drum lines, and then put my own piano, synth etc.

Thanks for your response.

Hello.
Yes, it's fine. Actually it's a very good way to focus your ears and mind on the requirements for a particular genre.

Whether you want to work like that is ultimately a subjective and creative decision.
Just try to also make your own music original enough to reflect some elements of your personality.

Even the best musicians started off by studying and taking inspiration from their favourite songs.
And professional music producers will often A-B against other tunes in a similar vein.

Cheers.

Everybody in EDM does this, obviously... ;)

Doug1978 wrote:Hello.
Yes, it's fine. Actually it's a very good way to focus your ears and mind on the requirements for a particular genre.

Whether you want to work like that is ultimately a subjective and creative decision.
Just try to also make your own music original enough to reflect some elements of your personality.

Even the best musicians started off by studying and taking inspiration from their favourite songs.
And professional music producers will often A-B against other tunes in a similar vein.

Cheers.
This is a time honored tradition. Copying vibe and feel, and even note-for-note beats is probably way more common than realized.

Thanks for your responses, at least I won't feel so un-creative. I make my drum lines at times, but with afro-beats and its heavy percussions i think i need this.

No, follow the rules. Do it this way or we'll force you to change. :arrow: :arrow:
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

It's cheating and you should feel ashamed ...

;) just kidding

RunBeerRun
I'm on mobile, and the reply thing is not working.

I do most of my afro-beat stuff on my own.(Reason, v-little or no afro-pop/beat loops online)
i'm not familiar with some other genres. That's where the drum line thing comes in.

Never listen to other songs! You have to create an absolutely unique, never-heard beat!

(But how can you know if it's unique if you don't know all the other songs? :P)

Some people on here are being rather naughty (and will get a well-deserved spanking if they're not careful).

Doug1978 wrote:Some people on here are being rather naughty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2_-eQ26tY

Doug1978 wrote:Some people on here are being rather naughty (and will get a well-deserved spanking if they're not careful).
ooooooo........me like, me like.....hit me again, harder, harder..... :hihi:

nighteye - do what you think is right. You can take inspiration from others works, and many do. I get inspired when I listen to another persons songs.

Or, if you already have something working in your head you can go with that.

Music is about expressing yourself.

Above all, have fun with it. Don't try to over analyze cause then you get paralyzed.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanx. everyone for your input.

I think listening to it while I am making music would be far too distracting. Before would be good, particularly if I felt that something would inspire me.

I'd be far too likely to just integrate what I am doing with what I am hearing, which would be jamming or plagiarism.

I think I understand your meaning robojam; however, I'm not sure it really is plagiarism unless it is intentional to represent another person's work as your own.

With the limitation of notes in a key and scale and the limited number of keys/scales, I think it inevitable the possibility of same notes appearing in one work to another. Even to go as far as saying the similarity in progression. It doesn't take much to satisfy the rule of copy right.

Over the years I have heard many songs that sound similar. Was it the intent of the respective authors to plagiarize? I truly do not think so; although some other thoughts come to mind; copy-cat, lack of creativeness, this sort of thing. Sometimes it was the intent of the author to sound similar in effort to honor the original artist. How many times has Elvis Presley been re-done?

Let's also consider re-mix of an original. It can sound like the original, or not, retain the beat, or not, and becomes a completely new song once finished. Look how popular Weird Al became. (Probably not the best example of creativeness I admit :hihi:)

Like you, I too would find it distracting to listen at the same time. But I have to say there have been a lot of artists that have inspired my creativity based on what I have heard.

I think if a person can take inspiration from another and become creative as a result then the artist has done their work. Isn't that why they are really performing? To be able to open the mind of the other as well as (not just) entertaining them?

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”