Help with a new portable midi keyboard please!!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!
Since I'm moving out for work and I cannot take my 61 keys keyboard with me I'd like to buy a new one smaller..
I saw a couple of model and I ended up with these ones: (in order of preference)
Alesis V25
M audio Oxygen 25 mk4
Akai mpk mini mk2
Nektar Impact lx25
M audio axiom air mini 32

I'd need 32 keys but 25 are good, also pitch bend and pads are useful. I really like the new alesis v25, but what do you recommend?
Last edited by TwoWays on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

did u saw new ni komplete kontrol? just axing.. its expensive but perfect:) i got s49 and iam satisfied without current non-compatibility with maschine.. but that u propably don't need.... wishing good choice!
trust analog.... (owner of digital)

Beautiful! but really expensive..

I love my CME XKey.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

QuNexus :D 25 non-standard keys, very portable and robust, and it even has polyphonic aftertouch. The lit keys also serve as pads.

However, unless you really have big space problems, I would not recommend anything below 49 keys, which basically cover the core of a full keyboard and make playing with two hands possible. I used to have a 32-key Roland, but although I am not happy it broke, I am also a bit happy because this gave me a reason to buy a bigger one again. 32 keys sucked.

I ordered a Roland A-49 and I would already have it by now if the shop had not sent it to my old, i.e. wrong address :x
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't really like "fake" keys..

The Alesis looks like it has semi weighted keys? Don't know about the others, but the Oxygen for example has only synth action keys, so it depends on your preference. Although you probably won't play it like a piano anyway, so i don't know if it matters much. Actually the Alesis looks pretty cool, although it has only 4 knobs contrary to the other kb's, which all seem to have 8. Not sure why they always have to have pads also, i'd prefer some sliders, or more knobs. If you need pads you could always get something like the Korg Nanopad for example.

Do you like mini keys? is an important question as for many they are unplayable.If you dont know I strongly suggest to try them at a store.

If you like them I would pick the arturia minilab because of the number of encoders and pads, and it has mod wheel and pitch bend.

If you dont like mini keys I would go maybe for the behringer umx or uma25 as they are one of the smallest.

I dont think the action matters a lot in a 25 keys kb.

But I suggest you to chexk the dimmensions because even if they look small some of them are quite bulky.
dedication to flying

I don't think alesis has semi-weighted keys, it looks very cool, but it's not released yet I think. and I'll need one very soon.. I'd prefer "full" keys, but mini keys are good too

I like my Korg microkey 37 a lot, the keys are much bigger than average size mini keys. I'd prefer 37 minikeys to 25 fullsize, but that of course depends on what you are playing.
Always look on the bright side of life

Out of those I would get the Akai mini, I'm planning get one to use with my laptop.

Some of them will come with Ignite for free - the Akai and Oxygen ones I think - that would tend to swing it for me as it's a great sonic sketchpad with some superb sounds...
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

d-s-m wrote:Out of those I would get the Akai mini, I'm planning get one to use with my laptop.
worth checking out if they improved the velocity sensitivity with the mk2 version, as they used to be really crap

to the o.p, i think you might hate going from 61 to 25 :shrug: i went from 61 to 37 and, although i think the korg microkontrol (same mini keys and keybed as microkeys) is a great 'board, i do miss the extra keys

i'm guessing from the one's you have shortlisted, that you are looking for pads, knobs etc, so that kinda rules out the korg 'boards. it's a shame that 37 mini keys (or even 49) never became a more popular option

The microkontrol looks very good, but doesn't seem to be "portable" :) also the microkey 37 is too long for a backpack I think.. I'm actually stuck between waiting for the alesis one or just take the oxygen or mpk mini..
Axiom air mini? I'm not reading good stuff about it..
Nektar is too big!! just checked dimensions of each one

Why hasn't anyone come up with a modular design, yet? One could simply buy one or more additional octaves, remove the right end piece, plug in one or more additional octaves, plug in the end piece again and there you go, from 25 to 88 keys within a minute :D

This way one could also use the keyboard much longer as one could replace an octave module when a key is broken.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”