Looking for software to start with, help

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody. I'm new into creating music with a computer, I'm comming from hardware, mpcs and hardsynths, and I would like some of your help. But I'm feeling a bit tired about it, you know, cables, saving patches... and I started to sell it. However I will keep some synths to use with my computer, like my supernova.

I'm mainly making EDM, house and techno music. There are too many daws and plugins to start with, so I'm basically overhelmed with all these demos / freeware. I think the best way to start is with freeware, then purchasing two or three quality plugins. However it seems there isn't any freeware DAW for them, is it?

Basically what I need is something to sequence and record a couple of hardware synths, and some freeware plugins. Once I get the idea I will start purchasing what I need.

What can you recommend me? Thank you

Go pick up a copy of Computer Music. You'll get a free DAW and a bunch of great magware plugins.
:borg:

Reaper's evaluation period is 60 days and it remains uncrippled after that time, too (but costs so little that buying it won't cause any hardship). So if not spending money upfront is a goal, and I envy you for the realization that this is a good idea, Reaper is a great choice. LMMS is a free, open-source DAW that has been shaping up nicely, so this is another option.

In the end, though, the right choice of DAW depends entirely on you, your preferences, and what workflow works best for you. No one can really tell you what is best for you. That's where testing the trial versions comes in.

Hi!

Podium Free is a really nice free daw:
http://zynewave.com/podium-free

I'll give you some professional advice.

For free stuff- Google-Music Radar [top ten best free compressors] [top ten best free vst for music]
Although I have found their free synths aren't that good. You can search and download for hours and not get anything usefull (at all)!

For free synths I recommend the newer and modified version of KXX-FREE. It is similar to the Korg Legacy collection there at Korg.com. It takes some time to find. try new version of Kxx-Free in Google or searching around here at KVR for the newer version as well. It will say it is the newer version I believe.

Also I highly, highly recommend Triangle by Cakewalk.com. It is free as well. To me it is about the last stop for a free synth because nothing else compares. Like I said you can shop around at VSTs4FREE DL'ing and testing and having a hard time installing and un-installing and such and still just find invaluable things not even worth your time, but here is Triangle; although not "professional", like I said it is amongst the best for freeware.

For a free compressor I've found the best to be the MKii Compressor. It is blue and looks quality. It sounds really good actually but squashes it a lot with saturation and tons of it.

A free version of Ableton Live Lite DAW comes in many M-audio products or atleast a couple. To name some would be, the Fast Track audio interface, and the Oxygen Midi keyboard. The Sonivox synths that also come with the Oxygen midi keyboard I never could install when I bought them by the way Oh well they are crap. here's the link to the M-audio Oxyegen. MAke sure when buying from a retailer you get all that stuff that should come with it. Perhaps M-audio can advocate for you. Call'em up, they're cool, like grit.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/oxygen-iv-49

The cool thing also that I think you would benefit from is Ableton Live Sampler. Sampler comes in Ableton Live Suite or can be purchased alone for use in Ableton only. With Sampler you can drop in an audio sample, such as your very own synth, and play it back on a midi keyboard. So for instance you can take a sample and turn that sample into a software synth in the Sampler. You can do it with any sound you have from an audio lane.

Analog which comes in Suite as well is to me most likely hard to work with. Although for someone like you from hardware it might seem appealing in it's layout; it is very difficult to get awesome results. But afterall there are some nicely made presets for Analog that you can purchase. If you do not want to get your hands dirty with creation, that is.

Here is a link to where I think you should go to hear quality synths and see what they can do.

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/p ... ay-485809/

It would be a nice way for anyone to go to here presets of the quality vst soft synths. For instance go listen to the sound pack (presets) they have available to purchase and in that same instance you will be hearing the synths for what thye are really made of/above and beyond stock presets...by far!

For my house I will use mostly Sylenth1. Although it is the typical synth used in the past for it I find it>still is good. Haha.

My other favorites and synths I use are Rapture and Zeta+2 by Cakewalk. Although Rapture is made by Roland! Surprise! I also take to the liking of Dimension pro for hip-hop and definitely orchestra. Also there is a synth made by them as well called, Triangle. Triangle is free and is amidst the best free top synths for sure. Although not even known at all.

Link:

http://www.pluginboutique.com/search?ut ... ac&x=0&y=0

Typically Cakewalk synths go on sale on weekend deals at PluginBoutique.com so keep your eye peeled using E-mail subscrpitions. That the way I found Rapture and Dimension Pro for a measily 19 US dollars each, and Zeta+2 for less than 34 US dollars! Subrscribe, not just to KVR but to Pluginboutique.com. Perhaps you can also follow individual products there!

One final and necasary thing is Waves.com. Always throwing specials every month (and weekend). Always high quality and top notch in the industry.

Most not for EDM but for rock is Waves.com, but what is absolulely seemingly necessary are their Limiters. If I got just one pack from Waves.com it would be the L3-16 pack. Other than that I would certainly choose the CLA-3A and maybe CLA-2A for that radio sound and shine (CLA-3A). Other than that for you I would steer clear! haha. The stuff gets very analog and not "clean" like Ableton Live (which actually sits very analogy in a final mix using just itself and it's own effects rather.

Finally the Synthmater2 would be the kind of synth that would impossible for a child to work with... Altough it is gently sounding and classy!

My synths are these: Rapture, Zeta+2, Sylenth1, Dimension Pro and Synthmaster. I also use Mic Mod EFX for incredible and seemingly perfect microphone changing abilities. It really "does" work well. 49 bucks at musiciansfriend.

I also Like my Tc Impact Twin although it is fireiwire. Mine came with Ableton Live 8 Suite in the Lite version. There is still one store that carries that I believe and it sells for the lesser expensive price of around 200 US dollars for the audio interface itself. The onboard SSL-like compressor, d-esser, and EQ are, well, outstanding and perfect.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/tc-electron ... l#features

Mine did come with 8 Suite Lite when I purached mine several years ago. Since then things may have changed, and have for the most part but that store appears to have the remnaince of it.

Other synths to consider are: UH-E Zebra2, Spire, Massive, Kontakt. But I don't care for them.

The ones I haven't mentioned are: Arturia which sound very creamy. Arturia usually goes on sale for 150 US dollars for all of them only once or twice a year.

You can check out synths here at KVR in the product search, as well as subrscribe to news, individual products, and companies. I must mention you won't get the weekend deals this way at Pluginboutique.com!

I hope you take your time and gather up some great software. It certainly has come along way!

I think you may like the Korg Legacy collection. I believe you will like it because it has an analog perspective. I may be wrong but I get the impression it has a quick attack as well. They also sound great and analog to me. There used to be a sale where if you buy their keyboard then you get the Legacy Collection with it. The keyboard looks showy and plasticcy and lacks features. I IXNAY Korg though for dirty ads. haha.
Last edited by MadAnthony81 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:02 am, edited 11 times in total.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

This stuff here at this link looks sic too! Although I have never tried it.

I'm not into freeware but here is my best shot.

When it looks this good. Hey???????? Giv'er a shot.

http://www.pluginboutique.com/manufacturers/86-Saltline

jesus
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Mivo wrote:Reaper's evaluation period is 60 days and it remains uncrippled after that time, too (but costs so little that buying it won't cause any hardship). So if not spending money upfront is a goal, and I envy you for the realization that this is a good idea, Reaper is a great choice. LMMS is a free, open-source DAW that has been shaping up nicely, so this is another option.
Yes, it's an early goal. I only want to spend money on software that deserves it, and to do it first I must get used to software and ask for help when I want to purchase, people in this forum have tons of useful information :)

The idea is replicate my hardware studio (which is almost sold) in my computer.

So, I started with: LMMS (my Ableton Live lite is too old, I think it's v4 from an old MIDI controller). Synths: Triangle, Synth1, Elek7ro. Effects: Ambience, TDR Feedback Compressor II, Marvel GEQ, Retro Delay. Others: Blue arp.

What I'm missing is a sampler. I don't need something too complicated, just a simple one. There is one sampler called Zampler, but I don't know how to get it. It is freeware, right?

jiglesias86 wrote:What I'm missing is a sampler. I don't need something too complicated, just a simple one.
I think the best choice is this one: http://www.tx16wx.com/ Well-supported, the UI has different sizes, and there is a forum for it here on KVR.

You might find this thread useful, too. For free effects, I like the bundle offered by Melda Productions, here.

If you have a Facebook account (or a dodgy stalker account), you can get Zampler (and other stuff) by 'liking' Beat Magazin: https://www.facebook.com/beat.magazin/

This one by xoxos is also a nice simple sampler: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p5903901

You should look at his other stuff as well, some are cheap, most are free: http://www.xoxos.net

A good resource for everything free is Bedroom producer's blog: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/

KVR also has a searchable plugin database, which you can find from the top menu here, under Products, here's direct link: http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php

As for sequencers, most likely you're eventually going to have to pay for something. Look into what kind of host you might enjoy most, I'd categorise them something like this; the classic record&mix variety (Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, the list goes on), the live sequencing oriented ones (Ableton Live, FLStudio, Bitwig), the modulars (Tracktion, Mulab, EnergyXT, Audiomulch, Bidule) and the instrument racks (VSTHost, Cantabile, Forte). Reaper is insanely deep (perhaps to the point of being intimidating) and fairly cheap, and FL Studio has lifetime free updates, so plenty of bang-for-buck there. Tracktion is also fairly cheap and under active development, but the way it works might not be intuitive (or on the exact opposite, if you like it, it might as well be the most intuitive thing ever).

I mainly use EnergyXT and Studio One, the common theme they have is that they're quite lean, they stay out of the way so to speak, but they have depth to them as well. EnergyXT can be an awful headache though, or it seems to be for a lot of people (it gets updates quite randomly and it's bit of old tech at this point) -- Mulab is probably better by now (and quite cheap as well and they offer a free version too).

If you are replicating your bygone hardware studio, how did you record and sequence with that one?

ras.s wrote:As for sequencers, most likely you're eventually going to have to pay for something.
LMMS has been shaping up nicely. The pre-1.0 versions were rather "meh", but I recently looked at it again and felt that it's getting pretty good. It might become a genuinely free alternative to the commercial sequencers. Development also seems speedy compared to the past.

Vember Audio Shortcircuit is one of the better free samplers out there. It can actually sample too, if needed, just like a hardware sampler.
If you're used to Live (owning Live4) you can upgrade to v9 for not that much. JRRshop is selling the upgrade to Live 9 (standard) for about $125 this week (20% off).

@Mivo; That's good to hear, I haven't tried it for a long time, might as well give it a spin. From the _free_ software realm, I've always enjoyed QTractor, but it's only available on Linux (which is an adventure of its own, but if one is willing to take the plunge, they might as well enjoy it).

It would be really nice if there was a really high quality free sequencer out there, but I think something as big of a project a host/sequencer must be, it really shows the benefit of someone working on it for the money. (That is, a enthusiast or a group of enthusiasts are just as able to make good quality software, but the development is bound to be slower than when someone gets paid for the job.)

That said, just downloaded LMMS and installed it, now out for checking how it works today.

edit: well, it's better, but let's just say I've got a good choice of hosts myself already, so I'm not in the position of needing to look into it too seriously, .. But certainly good option for a step sequencer/pattern editor kind of thing.

Another one that popped into my head as a free option is this cut-down version of Samplitude: http://pro.magix.com/en/samplitude/midi ... h.730.html When you've installed it, you'll need to register it. Samplitude has its own approach as well and -- if you like it, you'll like it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAGIX_Samplitude

Hey!

If you are into EDM and techno I would recommend FL Studio!! It is a great piece of software for electronic music production, it is incredibly underrated and it is super interactive. It has amazing capabilities and there is little of what you can not do.

Now, FL Studio only runs on PC. If you got a Mac you can try Reason, Logic, or Cubase. These are great pieces of software as well.

The main thing here is that when you pick a DAW you learn it to use it well because this is like cars. It's not about the car, it is about the driver. It is not important what piece of software you use, it is HOW you use it.

If you can definitely try FL Studio! Many of the big names in the scene such as Madeon, Porter Robinson, Deadmau5, Avicii and others have used or currently use it as their main DAW.
Check out my soundcloud!
https://soundcloud.com/vidalemusic

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”