DAW for EDM

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

joeinternet327 wrote:@dakkra - Reason 6.5+ does support third party plugins in their own format.
I suppose RE's do count as plugins but it would still be better if they had VST support.

It's just my biased opinion though. I'm biased towards VST as Reason users are biased to RE.

Like i said no, DAW is really greater than the other, and really just depends on the user.

Dakkra

P.S I meant no offense by saying the things I've said about Reason. For about a year I was seriously debating purchasing it but I needed my VST support :/
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

The previous posters have given you some really good options. There is a plethora of DAW's on the market today, and as at least one other states, you should use the one that suits your work flow.

With that one single concept in mind, you should demo as many as you can to find that work flow.

Nough said ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

My pick would be Logic, but as if you are on a PC I would say Ableton Live.
Dúnedain

I use Ableton Live, Sonar X3, Cubase, and FL Studios occasionally. My favorite (of the ones I've used) is definitely Ableton Live.

Thanks everyone.. I really want to stay with something mainstream for support reasons also. Been burned a few times trying to be the guy that gets the "boutique" thing.

I've got a demo of FL, so next I'll give Ableton a try, seems to be the next logical choice, though FL seems to offer the most of the price for a hobby guy.

FL Studio is perfect for what you want.

I second that, some synth's there worth the price alone.

Live is the best one it's also favoured by DJs who make a lot of EDM or re mix it. No DAW has the best instruments or effects I use the best ones from companies that only concentrate on those.

Live has a drag and drop interface making getting to work fast and easy.

I tried to convince myself to:
- FL Studio (didn't like the workflow, especially floating windows, but it's really capable)
- Ableton Live (didn't like lack of some features in automation)
- Studio One (I didn't see any advantage over Reaper)
- Bitwig 1.0 (didn't like lack of multi-in out vst support)
I stuck with Reaper for years then, really liking flexibility, tons of useful simple tools/scripts, great routing capabilities.
But I didn't like workflow in Reaper, and some floating windows too.

And then when Bitwig 1.1 appeared - that was it! It has multi in/out support and it gives great workflow and one-screen interface.
And it's going to be better soon (grouping in 1.2). It's my favourite DAW.

For some Live vs. Bitwig reference you can check this:
http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/h ... ls-472458/

Another vote for bitwig. Great workflow, and very easy to use. I'd also mention Studio One for ease of use, but bitwig is much better for edm. Also, these guys are releasing updates at an unbelievable pace, and their support is the best of any daw that I've seen.

My buddy is using ableton live for EDM and it's working pretty great for him.

It's one of the best for EDM and hip hop, great MIDI , easy to automate things up :)

I do nothing but electronic music, and here is what I use.

I have FL Studio Producer for my VST's and I Rewire Reason 8 into in essence using it as a VST itself. Since I have still a large collection of older hardware samplers, synths, and effects boxes, I do final mixes and mastering in Studio One Pro 2 which works well for me with that setup, a couple of MIDI units, and a PreSonus Firebox.

FL Studio has some great synths, supports all my 32 & 64 bit VST's, and is a great sequencer. I have used Reason for a long time, and I just love it. I love the analog like feel to the racks, cabling, and the creation of combonators. I switched from ProTools to Studio One and have never looked back. It is rock solid, offers a great bang for the buck, and has a vibrant support community.

Fl Studio entry is about $100.00. Pick up a copy of Reason Adapted or Essentials for $50.00 on eBay and see if you like it. It is cheaper to upgrade if you do. And PreSonus does a sale on the 5th of May where you can get the Artist edition for $49.99 so that is coming up.

For about $200.00 you can have a great entry setup for the type of music you are wanting to get back into making. Between sales and upgrades, I think I spent around $450.00 for all three of these DAW's. I spend the rest of my cash on VST's, samples, and outboard equipment. :wink:

dakkra wrote: Studio one: Bit difficult to use but gets the job done
Sorry, I don't concur... If it's good enough for the Virus crew, etc.

I use Studio one for EDM and my band stuff. It does it all and is easy to get to grips with.

Bitwig is great! I had used, Logic and Ableton in the past. I now prefer the other two, but any of the major DAWS will do you.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Ableton + FL Studio

From my experience best EDM DAWs:
Bitwig 1.x - solid next-generation DAW, very promising, updates regularly. Simply the best. And not expensive.
Ableton Live 9 Studio if you can afford it and you're on Mac. Though currently updates from Ableton rolling really slow, a lot of issues stay unaddressed and DAW not evolving at all. The funny thing - I can do more things using my Push in Bitwig then in Live.

FL Studio and Reaper are great and reasonably priced but they are not best if you looking to perform live. You may experience glitches and crashes with some VST plugins though.

With current discount deals on Bitwig it's a clear winner in my humble opinion.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”