Should one subscribe to Sound on Sound magazine?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't read SOS in years, but I remember their "classic tracks" section was always a great read, and I think they didn't do the "Sound like a pro!" - "Get that professional sound!" - "10 tips from top producers inside!" front pages.

Btw, I can list those tips here:
1. Be creative
2. Know your gear
3. Know your software
4. Search the net for tutorials
5. Listen to professional recordings
6. Use your ears
7. You don't need the most expensive gear/software
8. Use EQ
9. Use compression
10. Use a limiter
(True for 96% of all music mags.)
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

The free information you can find online is more than enough.

But if you feel like that these guys deserve your money (which I believe they do)
then go for it.

But first, try to practice on their online articles, I am sure you won't need to go premium.
Unless you want to support them, which is good!

I read their stuff online (the free stuff) and it kicks the butt of every other music publication I've read. I never subscribe to anything though. I used to buy occasional CM & FM issues from the local book stores but SOS was never there that I recall. But SOS's stuff is far superior and I've learned a LOT from their free online content. Their writers seem way more professional, experienced, and their articles way greater in depth.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Why not buy it now and then?

Also, it is a lot of fun to pick an old issue from the shelf and read it again. Just entertaining to read the Logic 5 review, or about the novation synth, or Apple's os x version 1 :)
Dúnedain

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”