For Beginners/Intermediate: REALLY learning the Language of Music

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey! I love to help beginners, so this is a topic near and dear to my heart. I'll tell you how to avoid all common beginner traps and provide you with a path to musical liberation. Sounds good? Read on...

There are two big problems that plague beginners. The first is the "EDM" crowd who likes to jump into everything without having any music background, and who just doodle around with some notes and then spend all their time trying to learn techy aspects like mixing. That's a pretty big waste of time, since it's the same as polishing a turd, since your "music" will be nothing but boring, repeated, simple notes. Almost 100% of those people never get anywhere. If you want to get somewhere in music, you'll have to learn the language of music - and you will inevitably have to learn it at some point, so why not do it at the beginning so that you can enjoy a smoother ride to the top? Ask yourself this: Do you want to be a mixer, or do you want to be a musician? If you want to produce the music, you shouldn't worry about mixing until much later. It's fine to do some mixing for fun, but learning the language of music should be your primary aspiration. Everything else can wait until later. You need a solid foundation to build a house on!

The second greatest problem for beginners is that people always complicate things. They think music is a black art that only "gifted" people can learn. It's not. Gifted people learn faster, but anyone can learn it. Remember: There are plenty of village idiots that still somehow managed to learn the piano. Intelligent people tend to overthink things and overestimate the amount of work required. I'll break it down for you and show why there is no reason to feel intimidated, and why there's actually much less work than you might think, and how it's actually really fun if you learn it the right way!

Music is just a language like any other, and the instruments are your typewriter. You are typing on a computer keyboard right now. If you are like most people, you are able to rapidly type without even looking. You've learned where to push to get the desired letters to appear. And the grammar of the language is how you know what letters belong together to form words. It's exactly the same with music: Learn where the letters are so that you can "type" rapidly (muscle memory), and learn which letters go together (music theory / chords / scales). It's not much more advanced than that. And sure, there's a lot of music theory out there, but unless you are aiming to make classical music and be the next Mozart, most people only need 5-10% of it all.

So yeah, the most important skill to learn is to find a good typewriter (instrument) and to learn how to use it. The most important instrument for digital production is absolutely the keyboard/piano, since every other sound can be played from that.

Some people suggest getting a private teacher. However, a private teacher is a very hit-and-miss prospect. In a huge city it might be possible to get someone truly knowledgeable, but my experience in Sweden in a medium-sized city was that the teachers are often too inefficient and inexperienced to teach at a good pace and with a good method. I've tried two tutors way in the past and paid $35-50 per hour lesson and both were so inexperienced that they barely had any idea how to teach, and I quit after a few lessons.

Sure, if you can find a great teacher, that is by far the best path (since you get live tutoring). But for most people, the best option will be to learn the piano via a MIDI keyboard and software. The software will teach you sight-reading and timing and will detect any errors you make with absolute, digital accuracy, which surpasses even the greatest teacher. Good software also includes video tutorials to teach you proper posture, fingering (finger positions) and so on.

Update with a nice tip from rod_zero: It's possible to get some benefits of live tutoring even with a "bad teacher," by first doing a little personal training via software to learn the absolute basics, and then going to a teacher and telling them that you "want help with making sure you're using the correct posture and fingering so that you can then practice on your own." This means that you'll come prepared (you'll have enough basics that the teacher doesn't have to start with stuff like "this note is called C"), and you'll be able to get the most out of their posture training. Since you're only asking about posture and fingering, it doesn't matter if the teacher doesn't have a good teaching method overall, since you're only asking for help in a small area. Posture and fingering is one of the most basic yet most important areas of all, since it affects how smoothly and quickly you can move across the keyboard, as well as preventing injuries. It's covered by various training software and DVD courses, but nothing beats live interaction to make sure you've understood everything correctly!

Update with another good tip from rod_zero: There's a short ~16 minute video by the pianist Barbara Lister-Sink, called "Freeing the Caged Bird," and it deals with proper posture and injury-avoidance. She experienced injuries herself which almost forced her to quit playing, and produced the video as a result. It is available for free on her YouTube channel: Part 1, Part 2.

Now, onto the software section...

The way I learned was through Voyetra Teach Me Piano Deluxe. It was a long time ago now so it's long-discontinued and only runs on 32-bit windows XP or lower, but it's absolutely fantastic. I looked for better alternatives and couldn't find anything, so I've recommended this "old" program to several friends, who simply made a dual-boot partition with an older Windows version to be able to run it. You can still find it on various online marketplaces and "other" places (since it's no longer officially for sale, I don't think downloading is a bad choice in this case; for instance, there is only 1 used copy available on Amazon at the moment, so it's hard to get any other way). Voyetra has a really charming video teacher named Hugh Berberich, and it takes you on a structured road all the way from baby-beginner's one-finger playing to full Mozart (chords and songs with both hands). It rates your timing and musical performance in all lessons and rewards replay to get a top score.

Another option is to go the DVD route. There's a course called "Learn & Master Piano with Will Barrow" (or as I like to read it: Wheelbarrow), which is absolute top quality. It's very expensive, though.

Along with having a tutorial program or DVD series, it's also important to have fun and not just do lessons! One of the biggest problems people have is that they go straight into deeper and deeper lessons and soon they lose the fun aspect of it all and give up. While writing this thread, I had a look into modern "music game" methods and one that really caught my eye was "Synesthesiagame" (Google it). It lets you load songs and play the notes like a shoot-em-up, at any pace you want, and it could be good for someone wanting to have some fun and not just do lessons.

Lastly, I also recommend doing some light, fun music production. Use the skills while you're acquiring them, and play melodies into your music sequencer, play around a bit with sounds and mixing, etc. This helps further break up the monotony and helps you stick with it!

So that's the core way to begin: A solid private tutor, training software or DVD course for the music theory/mechanical aspects of using your new "typewriter." A music game of some kind to let you learn while playing a game. And finally, some light production to have even more fun while learning. It all combines into a trio of awesome, and you can keep jumping between all 3 areas (theory, game and production) whenever you get a bit bored of one. Taking frequent breaks and briefly switching areas lets you avoid "information overload" and lets you have a practical use for the skills you are learning!

Either way, after you're done going through some sort of training series/program and know how to play the instrument, you should now work on your ear skill. It's good to know how to type with your musical typewriter, but it's even more important to know how to LISTEN to the language of music and to transcribe it. Because that's the skill that allows you to "listen" to your inner music and play exactly what you are hearing in your mind. For iOS there's "Better Ears" (simple but good on the go), and for Mac/Windows there is EarMaster Pro. The latter is the real deal and is the world's greatest ear-training method. You'll listen to intervals, chords, rhythms and so on, and your task is to identify them.

That's about it... My final piece of advice is to always remember to take a break if you feel like things are becoming a chore. If you allow negative emotions to become associated with music, you will ruin it for yourself. It's better to have a small break and come back refreshed.

And never rush or push yourself. Get into music for the right reasons: For relaxation and personal fulfillment and love of music. So try to make music relaxing, and you might find that it can even replace other forms of entertainment for you. For instance, it's more positive to doodle at the piano for an hour than to spend an hour in World of Warcraft or in front of the TV - and when you're making musical progress, you'll discover that it's also way more fun than any other activities! ;)

That's all for now! Good luck, and above all, have fun!

Feel free to contribute your own experiences and tips to add to this thread.
Last edited by JohnnyA on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Love. :tu:

If learning to play keys/piano properly is part of the goal I would still advice strongly to get a teacher even if he doesn't techaes composition.

The problem is that while learning piano by yourself you can create bad habits that can cause injury or simply being unable to develop proper technique.

A teacher that corrects posture and fingering is important specially in the beginning.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:The problem is that while learning piano by yourself you can create bad habits that can cause injury or simply being unable to develop proper technique. A teacher that corrects posture and fingering is important specially in the beginning.
Thanks for adding such a fantastic idea! Various software tutorials and DVD series all talk about posture and fingering, which means you shouldn't really be making mistakes. But there's still a small risk that you might gloss over it or not "get it" completely.

Therefore it would actually be a very good idea to visit a teacher at least a few times to get some of the basics of posture and fingering right.

Best of all: Since you're only going to a teacher for the basics of posture and fingering, you don't need to find the best teacher in town, and you can tell the teacher that your goal is to learn posture and fingering so that you can train on your own. This will maximize your benefit of visiting a teacher.

I will update the original post to add this novel idea into the mix!

Call to arms: If anyone knows of a good, modern replacement for Voyetra Teach Me Piano, please reply to the thread so that I can look into it and amend the first post. The goal is to have a one-stop-shop for beginners and intermediates looking to progress, and it's unfortunate that the best software on the market is so old. I've had a long look around and most software seems extremely basic compared to Voyetra. There has to be something newer out there which contains video tutorials and a good, structured lesson progression? Or maybe the market for training software is so small that nobody's bothering to do it right?

Is there an alternative to "Learn & Master Piano with Will Barrow" that is not on DVD, but downloadable or online? I don't even have an DVD player at home or on any computer anymore :)

There is a video on proper posture and technique called "Freeing the cage bird", my teacher showed me parts of it and it' very good for getting the fundamentals right.
dedication to flying

It's also worth noting that composing something and playing an instrument do not have to go hand in hand. The experience is perhaps quicker and more enjoyable if you get to know how to play an instrument but it is NOT a requirement.

However, if you want to learn to compose things your best bet is to actively listen to music, mimic, and learn. Trial and error. Also make sure you listen to a BROAD selection of different genres, daily (and I don't mean sub-genres withing a niche.. listen to jazz, rock, classical, hiphop, trance, pop-music, filmscores etc). It will all be processed by your mind. Ideas, chord progressions, rhythms and basic musical "flow" will all slowly but surely become obvious. There is no such thing as "being original". The sooner you drop the thought of being a "special snowflake" among the millions, the sooner you learn to make better music. This doesn't mean actively copying people on purpose to get-rich-quick but it does mean taking a hit to your pride and practicing composing. Over and over again.

(I was composing a lot of not-entirely-horrible songs way before I got my piano diploma and way before I got decent at playing guitar).

The only solid rule to this all is: It takes time. We are talking YEARS here. Do not give up in the first few. Keep going at it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

rod_zero wrote:There is a video on proper posture and technique called "Freeing the cage bird", my teacher showed me parts of it and it' very good for getting the fundamentals right.
Excellent tip. I was able to find the video on her YouTube channel and have linked it in the post. Thanks for providing yet another good alternative for people! :tu:
urlwolf wrote:Is there an alternative to "Learn & Master Piano with Will Barrow" that is not on DVD, but downloadable or online? I don't even have an DVD player at home or on any computer anymore :)
Perhaps buy a cheap USB-based DVD player? It seems USB cd/dvd-drives can be had for as cheap as $15-30.

Anyway, I had a look around by searching for "learn master piano will barrow download" and it seems they don't offer it for download. All I got was pirate sites, ugh. And of course this nice little testimonial someone had left, which made me smile:
I originally downloaded it. I don't like getting scammed into buying horrible products. I give everything a test run.
But I want to say, at around lesson 5-6, I went ahead and bought the set off of the site.
from what I've learned and the ease of how everything was laid out, I knew that it was definitely worth it, and for the price it was a steal. Free is always nice, but give support where it is deserved and hopefully we'll all continue getting great products.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”