Choosing studio monitor size for my situation

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I missed out on some Yamaha HS80Ms today and now I've been forced to reconsider my options. The pair I missed out on was $330, and that is just about how much money I have to spend on monitors. There aren't any more decent pairs of HS80Ms left on eBay, and the most similar thing at that price are the Yamaha HS7s.

Would getting a pair of HS7's do well for me? Or am I much better off waiting for another pair of HS80Ms to go up, if that happens at all in the near future? Either way I'm not in the market for a sub yet, which I imagine would affect my options. Also, I work in an entirely untreated medium-sized bedroom, which should also affect my options. Any help would be appreciated.

Tenshin wrote:I missed out on some Yamaha HS80Ms today and now I've been forced to reconsider my options. The pair I missed out on was $330, and that is just about how much money I have to spend on monitors. There aren't any more decent pairs of HS80Ms left on eBay, and the most similar thing at that price are the Yamaha HS7s.

Would getting a pair of HS7's do well for me? Or am I much better off waiting for another pair of HS80Ms to go up, if that happens at all in the near future? Either way I'm not in the market for a sub yet, which I imagine would affect my options. Also, I work in an entirely untreated medium-sized bedroom, which should also affect my options. Any help would be appreciated.
Dude, my honest opinion would be to get whichever Yamaha monitors you can afford right now. One of my sets of monitors are the HS5's and those are amazing! I love what they are, even with the compact size. If you want the 7's and you can get the 7's then get them. I guarantee, you will be happy with any of them. Don't wait around for something as uncertain as a pair of affordable HS80M's to come around. Also you really don't want speakers that someone could have used to complete shit, then put them up for sale. The world is filled with losers who do stuff like that. Don't let that happen to you.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Not saying the seller is guilty but Orbit-50 is right about being careful.

Personally I wouldn't buy used electronics over the internet. I would make every effort to be able to view and hear something like electronics.

I have purchased new items over the interent and have been pleased. But I have bought from reputable dealers in every case.

New items come with warranties that are valuable. Especially valuable for electonics items.

Go visit a dealer if you can. You may pay a bit more but it is worth it in the long run IMHO.

As for the Yamahas - I don't think you will go wrong with which ever model you decide. Just know and understand their capabilities.

Actually, this principal applies to any of the brands - know what they are, understand what you are paying for, use them to their capabilites and you should be good.

Good luck :tu:

Cheers,
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

The smallest monitors you can find will likely suffice in your situation. I've had two sets of 5" monitors (KRK, JBL) and they give PLENTY of volume..

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”