Which DAW is best for Live Performance & Electronic music Production?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I just signed up to KVR, although I'm a current reader for a few years now :).
I'm sorry for my english skills, I'm from France and not used to write a lot in english :).

I want to move forward in my musical project but face a pretty regular dilemma I think : the DAW choice.
To sum it up, I tried 3 software : FL Studio for a little more than a year, Ableton Live Lite and demo (Suite version) for 6 months, and recently tried the Bitwig demo.
My musical project would be to focus on production for some time and then try to go live. That's the reason why I only tried DAWs with live performance capabilities, so that I wouldn't have to switch later. Genre speaking, I would live to produce melodic techno/deep house tracks.

So, now that I presented the context to you, here are my questions :

1 / From your experience(s), which DAW is the best for live performing in the three that I listed? Maybe there is another one that I haven't thought about?

2 / Bitwig demo, unlike FL Studio and Ableton Live, only shows a restrictive demo version. What is the added value of the purchased "full" version? Are the sample packs good?

3 / About FL Studio : is it possible to create full live sets just with FL Studio native stuffs? Performance mode seems goodto play one track live, but a whole set? I'm afraid that this won't be possible in FL, but maybe I'm wrong so I need your feedback on this :).

Thanks in advance for your feedback :).

I would say the best for Live performance is Ableton Live, because it has better controller support right now. Bitwig script developing is being done by users.
dedication to flying

Maybe it would help if you describe a little more in detail what you mean by 'performing live'.

Mix pre-made tracks (i.e. 'DJ-ing') or build patterns / tracks from scratch...

By performing live I mean that I would like to be able to trigger clips/patterns live (using hardware like Launchpad/APC40/Push) so that I could rearrange entirely my songs :).

Well, Ableton Live is the way to go. It was designed for such purpose (playing live).

D N A wrote:Well, Ableton Live is the way to go. It was designed for such purpose (playing live).
This.

As to electronic music production, everything goes - just demo it and see what suits your taste.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”