Please suggest a DAW for my system

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, I'm just getting started with music production. I was thinking of downloading a demo version of one of the popular software's. But I thought I should get some advice from the members over here.

System Details:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Enough Free Space

I'm sure that I'll pass the minimum requirements for some DAW's but I'd like to know if I'll be able to make any real music using an adequate number of instruments and other other resources.

Thanks!

Depends really what you will use and how you will go about it, but freezing is your friend and getting less hungry plugins.

If you are interested shoot me PM, I could compile you list of low CPU plugins, recently I put myself into an challenge, transformed 1ghz, 1gb RAM machine with some OS tweaks and careful selection of plugins into doable music system, nothing fancy, bu it's snappy and with little freezing it can go long way.

Reaper is the king DAW of low spec machines :tu:

What kind of music are you interested in doing?

Also, can't hurt :wink:

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... windows-7/
http://www.tim-carter.com/index.php?t=O ... 2&ItemId=9

Passing Bye wrote:Depends really what you will use and how you will go about it, but freezing is your friend and getting less hungry plugins.

If you are interested shoot me PM, I could compile you list of low CPU plugins, recently I put myself into an challenge, transformed 1ghz, 1gb RAM machine with some OS tweaks and careful selection of plugins into doable music system, nothing fancy, bu it's snappy and with little freezing it can go long way.

Reaper is the king DAW of low spec machines :tu:

What kind of music are you interested in doing?

Also, can't hurt :wink:
Hey man. By use, do you mean everything from hardware, software, plugins, and all that, or just between the different DAW's? And what do you mean by freezing?

The only hardware I have is a Sound Card, and a Mic, for recording some guitar. I play the guitar. But as for the kind of music, I'd say no genres in specific. I listen to pretty much everything in the electronic, and non electronic spheres so I guess I really just want to experiment and see what comes out.

I'd appreciate some plugin advice though, so I'm going to shoot you a PM. And I'm also going to try out Reaper, it looks interesting and I like the name :hihi:.

Thanks for sharing those links.

dongoffe wrote: Hey man. By use, do you mean everything from hardware, software, plugins, and all that, or just between the different DAW's?
Mostly I was thinking about software plugins, virtual instruments and effects, but also different DAW's easily, some of them are little heavy by default too.
And what do you mean by freezing?
Sorry about that, in nutshell you would transform one channel with plugins and media into accessible rendered audio file which than free up all the resources he was taking and you can come back to previous state any time you wish, hope this make any sense

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb11/a ... h-0211.htm
The only hardware I have is a Sound Card, and a Mic, for recording some guitar. I play the guitar.
That's great, I can sense you will get along perfectly with Reaper for your needs :tu:
But as for the kind of music, I'd say no genres in specific. I listen to pretty much everything in the electronic, and non electronic spheres so I guess I really just want to experiment and see what comes out.
Of course, wanted to see are you maybe interested in this newer high tech electronic dance stuff, because most popular software is on a resource hungry side, so yeah, I think you are good for now with recording and experimentation.
I'd appreciate some plugin advice though, so I'm going to shoot you a PM. And I'm also going to try out Reaper, it looks interesting and I like the name :hihi:.
Don't mention, I have a sense Reaper and some nice free plugins will be it :tu:
Thanks for sharing those links.
My pleasure, gonna check PM now :wink:

Passing Bye wrote:Sorry about that, in nutshell you would transform one channel with plugins and media into accessible rendered audio file which than free up all the resources he was taking and you can come back to previous state any time you wish, hope this make any sense
Okay, the sounds pretty neat. That way you avoid having too many plugins and stuff open at the same time?
Passing Bye wrote:Of course, wanted to see are you maybe interested in this newer high tech electronic dance stuff, because most popular software is on a resource hungry side, so yeah, I think you are good for now with recording and experimentation.
I actually do enjoy this electronic dance music, but didn't think I have the set up to be able to do anything more than just mess about, you know?

Really appreciate all your help!

dongoffe wrote:Okay, the sounds pretty neat. That way you avoid having too many plugins and stuff open at the same time?
Exactly, just focus on the track you are working on and than put it on a side/freeze and do other, so freeze/unfreeze on the go, it's not perfect, but it's something :tu:
I actually do enjoy this electronic dance music, but didn't think I have the set up to be able to do anything more than just mess about, you know?
We can score something there too, I'm into it too, we can pull it off, mostly people want to use same tools and sound just like some other well known act's and that seeks some particular stuff, if you are more flexible in that department, we can score something nice :phones:
Really appreciate all your help!
Glad I can help :clown:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”