DAW - A Fresh Start

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:
chk071 wrote:Yeah, Apple products have a big second hand value.
And a first hand even HIGHER value.
As has been noted by a few actual Apple owners (and concurrent Apple and Windows owners like myself--my most powerful PC at the moment is a Windows desktop), the resale value is so high that it more than makes up for the price difference upfront. And that's not counting the additional price savings if there are problems that occur--Apple warranty coverage is extremely generous and reliability remains the best in the industry (although Asus is quite reliable as well).

This has been the case with every Mac I've owned and subsequently sold ever since making the switch a decade ago. Meanwhile my Windows PCs don't retain enough value to be worth selling.
Last edited by Libertine Lush on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deleted
Last edited by Libertine Lush on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deleted

Libertine Lush wrote:
fmr wrote:
And a first hand even HIGHER value.
As has been noted by a few actual Apple owners (and concurrent Apple and Windows owners like myself--my most powerful PC at the moment is a Windows desktop), the resale value is so high that it more than makes up for the price difference upfront. And that's not counting the additional price savings if there are problems that occur--Apple warranty coverage is extremely generous and reliability remains the best in the industry (although Asus is quite reliable as well).
Apple warranty is 3 years at maximum (with an extra payment). By law customers already have two years coverage. Where is the generosity? And regarding the second hand value, as a concurrent Apple (for like 25 years) and Windows machines owner too, let's agree to disagree.

A small example, just to make people more informed about what is in discussion here: I have an iMac i7 21.5" middle 2011, with a 2 TB HD. Let's say I want to replace it with a new one that is at least of similar specs - tell me how much I will get for my unit second hand, and how much will I have to pay for a new unit of at least similar specs.

BTW - My unit just failed out of nothing, and I had to replace the logic board (CPU included). The price of the repair would get me a new Windows machine. It was the first time I had a problem like this on a Mac in around 25 years of experience, that's true, but then, I never had nothing similar with my PCs either.
Libertine Lush wrote: This has been the case with every Mac I've owned and subsequently sold ever since making the switch a decade ago. Meanwhile my Windows PCs don't retain enough value to be worth selling.
Lucky you. As I said, I can speak differently from my own experience. Which means that the statement may be true for you, but it's not true for me. Therefore, no one minimally advised should make a buying decision based on THAT statement.

Anyway, IMO Macs are overpriced and underpowered, generally speaking. Too bad for me, because I like Macs, and I cannot imagine passing without them, but the situation gets worse every new generation. Currently it's almost unbearable - to get a professionaly speced machine, you will need to go to the top end of the line, and throw in a huge pile of money.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I personally don't think I would base my decision for a computer on it's resale value, I usually use mine till they break down. ;-)

Most of the time we decide on a platform because it either provides something we absolutely need which isn't available on other platforms ( for instance: we absolutely need to use Logic ), or because we work with people that all use the same platform and using the same makes our life much easier - or simply because we like it.

Many people had bad experiences with one or the other platform in the past and from then on swear on the other, but those stories can usually go in all directions, as I personally experienced.

At this point in time you can do pretty much everything you can do on one platform on the others as well.
So the things one has to check are:
- actually existing Budget in the here and now. (my current self-built PC cost 1/3 of the same specs in the form of a MacPro)
- does the needed/wanted hardware exist for the platform. (I need at least a 17" laptop, Nvidia graphics and want my many harddrives inside my desktop case...)
- availability of the wanted software applications, plugins etc. on the target platform (I mostly use cross-platform software these days).
- availability of drivers and support for existing or planned hardware. (can create additional cost otherwise)
- existing knowledge about the selected platform. (can be quite important IMO)
- if it is of importance: compatibility with your peers or bandmates etc. (doesn't matter for me but does for others)
- personal taste. (I am incompatible with Apple, happen to like Windows, watch Linux with interest...)

The personal knowledge aspect is quite important IMO. I know a lot about Windows and can fix pretty much everything that should come up, my Windows 8.1 system runs very smooth. A friend of mine knows Linux inside out and runs his audio apps with ease. Another friend is totally fluent on his Mac and swears on it...

Many of the other reasons one hears on the web sound more like Stockholm-syndrome to me to be honest. ;-)

Good luck with the decision! :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

fmr wrote:
And first hand have an even HIGHER value (and pray that you don't need to repair them AFTER the guarantee is expired). For the difference in price you have to pay to replace the unit you are selling second hand (assuming you CAN replace the unit with one of similar specs - in my case I can't, I would need to jump to a much higher priced unit), you can very much trash your old PC, and buy a new one (and still get a good amount saved).

With the added detail that you don't even need to trash your PC entirely, since you usually can take advantage of several components. Basically, what you need to replace is the MoBo, the CPU and eventually the RAM.

As I said: a myth.
You didn't proved myth claim in first place, now just talk random proving nothing again, give it a rest :tu:

I gave up Cubase as it was just too many windows and menus for me, I dip in and out, its a bit overwhelming.

I switched to Studio One (3), I find it much more intuitive than Cubase and like the one window layout, however, I use that mainly when I am linear and tracking guitars/vocals...If I was mainly in to electronic music I would probably go BitWig for reasons already mentioned...

Really easy to use, has all the advantages of Live (clip based DAW) but also a good linear and audio editor for completing tracks. Amazing modulation possibilities, sometimes it feels more like an instrument than a DAW- I remember thinking that the first time I used Live, that it was more like a big grove box sampler, but BitWig take it to the next level....and its very reasonably priced.

I still have Live (9 suit) but just cant use it now I am used to in clip editing, feels quite basic after BitWig- they have some catching up to do....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Levon83 wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for advice on what DAW would be suitable for my needs.
It may help others to give you suggestions if they know what kind of music you're in. Do you produce "pop" music, or are you more in electronical stuff...or experimental...or whatever? I just ask because i was in a similar situation some time ago. I have used several "DAWs" over the years (FL Studio, Ableton Live, Reaper, Reason, Studio One, Podium, Bitwig...even Music 2000 years ago :hihi:). Now i use Renoise, which is a very different way to work...but for me the workflow is awesome. There are plenty "DAWs" and other solutions out there to produce music. It would be at least good if you tell us what you are looking for or to describe which workflow would fit you most. :)

Mac vs PC discussion: don't want to add fuel to the fire, but PC peripherials are so dead now, the PC market is shrinking because peripherials last for a lot longer than they used to, most people don't buy graphic cards, soundcards and network cards because it's all in the motherboard now, operating systems eat up less resources and everything runs smoothly even on cheap computers so nobody upgrades.

The situation is in fact so ridiculous that my friend who bought a PC with 16gb of ram 5 years ago sold those ram sticks 6 months ago for DOUBLE of what he paid for it :D So here you go with poor PC resale value :)

In fact, the PC market has the opposite problem - new technology doesn't become cheaper fast enough so when facing an upgrade, you have to pay considerably more than you should to get a more powerful hardware. And nobody upgrades to have the same specs as few years ago.

A word of advice though: always sell before expiration date and buy new one. You'll save a ridiculous amount of money this way :)

As for software, I'd get into Cubase if I were you. It looks like an old lady's vagina, I know, but it's probably the most powerful tool for making music (for composing in midi by a mile at least) and most other daws have very similar workflow anyway so you could spend the next year looking for what suits you and ultimately end up discouraged and disappointed whereas you have an ace in the hole right now ;)

Tonberry wrote: As for software, I'd get into Cubase if I were you. It looks like an old lady's vagina, I know, but it's probably the most powerful tool for making music (for composing in midi by a mile at least) and most other daws have very similar workflow anyway so you could spend the next year looking for what suits you and ultimately end up discouraged and disappointed whereas you have an ace in the hole right now ;)
Yep... it will be less than impressive going from Cubase to an alternative unless you are actually interested in certain workflow aspects like Live or Bitwig's session/clip launcher type view among other features...

My advice: Demo Bitwig and see if you like that style of making music. Otherwise just stick with Cubase.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”