Can't access voices above 128 on PC GS Synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am a Midi dunce but a good programmer and have created FreqGen software to output frequencies on 16 channels for killing pathogens. Can someone explain how to access the instruments above 128 on the GS Synth? I have played with numbers in the bank switching commands but can't get anything other than the first 128 sounds. Ultimately I intend to use MidiVirtualSynth and switch banks but that Synth is just being developed for bank switching.
I found a list of the instruments that are above 128 and lost it but I remember that a sine wave was on note number 152 and it is this that I want to use but I can't address it.

So you're not actually generating the audio in your software?

Surely that would be the best route?

FWIW, the standard General MIDI soundset only supports 128 instruments; there are variants from manufacturers which have more.

Roland GS was one variant, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GS. I dont see a sine wave on the list of original GS extra sounds, its probably implementation dependent. Generating the soundwaves yourself would make more sense. In fact you could write them to an audio file and not worry about playing them back (ie by using a regular audiofile player).

However; you say you're writing software to emit frequencies 'kill pathogens' ; what sort of frequencies are you talking about? A quick google shows proper research that eg that some pathogens can be disrupted with a 60Ghz (sic) signal, a science-sparse site that claims that disrupting cancer cells supposedly require a 20MHz signal and other weirdness, and some definite some junk science references to disrupting viruses with frequencies mostly in the 300-400Khz range.

For comparison, the upper frequency of most onboard soundcards, and Im assuming you're using onboard because you're talking about MIDI-GS, is 20Khz or so.
The upper frequency of the highest-end audio cards (ie with a sample rate of 192Khz) sold to professionals is under 100Khz.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

This is the extended list of instruments I found above 128 for the standard PC midi synth with sine wave on 5th line.
'Detuned EP 1','Detuned EP 2','Coupled Harps','Church Bell','Detuned Org 1',
'Detuned Org 2','Church Org 2','Accordion It.','Ukulele','12-str Guitar',
'Mandolin','Hawaiian Guitar','Chorus Guitar','Funk Guitar','Feedback Guitar',
'Guit Feedback','Synth Bass 3','Synth Bass 4','Orchestra','Synth Strings 3',
'Brass 2','Synth Brass 3','Synth Brass 4','Sine Wave','Castanets',
'Cncrt Bass Drm','Mellow Tom 2','808 Drums','Guit Cut Noise','String Slap',
'Flute Key Click','Rain','Thunder','Wind','Stream','Bubble','Dog',
'Horse Gallop','Telephone 2','Door Creaking','Door Close','Scratch',
'Windchime','Car Engine','Car Stop','Car Pass','Car Crash','Siren','Train',
'Jetplane','Starship','Burst Noise','Laughing','Screaming','Punch',
'Heart Beat','Footsteps','Machine Gun','Lasergun','Explosion');
Yes I would have used direct sound generation but the midi way was so easy only taking me three days elapsed time to go from zero to a working software. I didn't know there was a limit of just over 13 KHz due to the 128 note limit and that might have swayed me to the direct audio route.
Anyway can you explain how to get to the instruments over 128. Even if I ignore the standard midi and use MidiVirtualSynth when you look at the sound font files like FluidR3 it has 194 instruments. So how do I access them especially given that the stable version of MidiVirtualSynth doesn't handle bank switching? I can post my software if it helps and this site allows posting of a 4M zip file.

Ruptor wrote:This is the extended list of instruments I found above 128 for the standard PC midi synth with sine wave on 5th line.
'Detuned EP 1','Detuned EP 2','Coupled Harps','Church Bell','Detuned Org 1',
'Detuned Org 2','Church Org 2','Accordion It.','Ukulele','12-str Guitar',
'Mandolin','Hawaiian Guitar','Chorus Guitar','Funk Guitar','Feedback Guitar',
'Guit Feedback','Synth Bass 3','Synth Bass 4','Orchestra','Synth Strings 3',
'Brass 2','Synth Brass 3','Synth Brass 4','Sine Wave','Castanets',
'Cncrt Bass Drm','Mellow Tom 2','808 Drums','Guit Cut Noise','String Slap',
'Flute Key Click','Rain','Thunder','Wind','Stream','Bubble','Dog',
'Horse Gallop','Telephone 2','Door Creaking','Door Close','Scratch',
'Windchime','Car Engine','Car Stop','Car Pass','Car Crash','Siren','Train',
'Jetplane','Starship','Burst Noise','Laughing','Screaming','Punch',
'Heart Beat','Footsteps','Machine Gun','Lasergun','Explosion');
Yes I would have used direct sound generation but the midi way was so easy only taking me three days elapsed time to go from zero to a working software.
You're wanting to generate sine waves. Im sure writing an application which writes sine values to a file should be a lot faster than 3 days for a good programmer.

I didn't know there was a limit of just over 13 KHz due to the 128 note limit and that might have swayed me to the direct audio route.
Where did you get this '13Khz' from?
Anyway can you explain how to get to the instruments over 128.
Nope. As per my link earlier, there'll be a way of doing it in the appropriate documentation for the synth.
Even if I ignore the standard midi and use MidiVirtualSynth when you look at the sound font files like FluidR3 it has 194 instruments. So how do I access them especially given that the stable version of MidiVirtualSynth doesn't handle bank switching? I can post my software if it helps and this site allows posting of a 4M zip file.
I cant find any reference to a 'MidiVirtualSynth' (although there is a VirtualMIDISynth I can find) but if there's a soundfont you have with a sinewave in it, why cant you edit that soundfont and create a new one with just the sinewave in it, and use that soundfont.

https://musescore.org/node/13734

I'll ask again, though; what sort of frequencies are you talking about?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
whyterabbyt wrote:You're wanting to generate sine waves. Im sure writing an application which writes sine values to a file should be a lot faster than 3 days for a good programmer.
And others.
whyterabbyt wrote:Where did you get this '13Khz' from?
As per my previous statement midi top midi note plus bend.
whyterabbyt wrote: why cant you edit that soundfont and create a new one with just the sinewave in it, and use that soundfont.
https://musescore.org/node/13734 (https://musescore.org/node/13734)
That is a useful link. Yes that looks like the best route and will allow me to put my own custom waves in the file. I have Polyphone but don't know how to use it yet.
whyterabbyt wrote:I'll ask again, though; what sort of frequencies are you talking about?
Not sure what you asking. The premise of frequency therapy is that any physical structure has resonance that can be used to break it hence pathogens can be destroyed using vibration. 880 Hz is a standard keyboard tone on A8 that happens to hit many bugs so you can try it for yourself just run it for 15 minutes and adjust the volume for best effect

Ruptor wrote:
You're wanting to generate sine waves. Im sure writing an application which writes sine values to a file should be a lot faster than 3 days for a good programmer.

And others.
Yes, including other waveforms.
Not sure what you asking. The premise of frequency therapy is that any physical structure has resonance that can be used to break it hence pathogens can be destroyed using vibration.
Yes, and as Ive already said, for pathogens, research would indicate that these frequencies are in the MHz range at the very least, more likely the GHz range. The only references to frequencies in even Khz ranges or the audio spectrum for such use come from pseudoscience, eg Rife frequency generators.
880 Hz is a standard keyboard tone on A8 that happens to hit many bugs so you can try it for yourself just run it for 15 minutes and adjust the volume for best effect
And what's your suggested method for determining how many pathogens are killed by playing an 880Hz tone, out of interest.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Check this machine out that uses audio frequencies less than 1000 Hz.
http://medsonixnaples.com/ (http://medsonixnaples.com/)
I have been researching this for 7 years as a Chartered Engineer and designed all types of electrical machines based on plasmas, magnetic coils, pads and now sound that all kill pathogens. If you ignore the quackery on the net you can find the real research like this
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140207026 (http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140207026)
Obviously a microscope to watch the bugs croak but if you have bugs and kill them you will notice the effect. A common symptom of Borrelia (Lyme USA) after bashing it using 433 Hz is flue like symptoms a day later with aching joints.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”