Help for newbie

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone! I apologize in advance for my bad English :(
I have six months to try to start to learn music producing and what comes out. I have little idea about equalization and compression, about understand how to operate the synthesizer. Now decided to come to grips while there is still time to University.
Here are my questions :
1. Lightweight DAW (it exists ?)
2. Budget setup for the first time (laptop, headphones, can be external sound card)
3. Several articles on working with sound, preferably in simple language (my main language of the other) thanks in Advance and hugs! :love: :wink:

Hello :wink:

1. MuLab or Reaper
2. Sennheiser HD 201 and affordable second hand Macbook (comes with good on-board soundcard)
3. http://tutsplus.com/
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:affordable second hand Macbook
Macbook 2011/2012 will be good?

danch wrote:
If you have funds, some 2008-2010 would do it, you can sell it for the same price again in a half year :wink:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

thank u!

Sure, my sincere advice is don't spend too much if you aren't sure, this setup will give you plenty for 6 months, if you decide you are up to it, than invest more into desktop machine solution, room treatment, monitor speakers and etc. :wink:

danch wrote:
That's fine for a beginner. I know veterans who use even older systems. Whether it's powerful enough for you will depend much on how many tracks you intend to record and how many VSTs you use. It's more CPU intensive to record a VST than an hardware/external instrument.

You may also consider Apple's preowned selection for a used Macbook. I believe they inspect them before selling, so it takes out a lot of the risk. This is a link to the US store. There may be one for your country too.

http://www.apple.com/us_smb_338040/shop ... ldeals/mac

As for a budget setup, what types of gear do you wish to use, so we can be more specific in our recommendations. Hardware/software synth, drum machine, keyboard size, audio interface, etc.

Also, since you mentioned synthesizers, you may find this helpful: http://beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/

There are plenty of intro articles to sound synthesis, but I found that one to be one of the most accessible and thorough.

Libertine Lush wrote:
danch wrote:
Hardware/software synth, drum machine, keyboard size, audio interface, etc.
I think for first time i will use only software stuff

danch wrote:
Libertine Lush wrote:
danch wrote:
Hardware/software synth, drum machine, keyboard size, audio interface, etc.
I think for first time i will use only software stuff
There's 2 standouts for me in that realm: Native Instrument's Komplete Kontrol and Ableton Push. They're like Apple in that their products are vertically integrated--they create the hardware and software, so the integration allows for a better experience, as their controllers are tailor-made for their software instruments. Ableton Push comes with an entry level version of their popular DAW. The Komplete Kontrol controllers come packaged with several of their popular synths and effects.

The NI Kontrol series isn't exactly the cheapest option. Most beginners could easily do with a more price friendly 25 key controller. Loads of options to choose from in that department.
In terms of synths we're more than spoiled. The freebie stuff out there is plenty and some of it rivals or even betters commercials synths. Charlatan, Podolski, Synth1, Oatmeal, RMXL, Superwave P8, Zebralette.....the list is endless.

Starting out has never been cheaper. :)

K-Bee wrote:Starting out has never been cheaper. :)
Was thinking about that the other day, spot on, pretty great times for starting out :idea:

Yes- it's easy to fall into the trap of buying loads of VSTs and spending $100's.

As you say:
'I have little idea about equalization and compression, about understand how to operate the synthesizer. Now decided to come to grips while there is still time to University.
Here are my questions :
1. Lightweight DAW (it exists ?)
2. Budget setup for the first time (laptop, headphones, can be external sound card)'

I'd say if you have any Windows 7 or 8 PC laptop it will run a lightweight DAW and synths without needing an external soundcard at all. If you record live play then you may need one to combat latency, but if you are just starting out, you don't need an external soundcard at all..

If you are talking a real 'budget' set up then Reaper is free, or Cakewalk Sonar has a pay monthly option that means you can try it for as little as $4.99 a month (you can stop any time you want and and if you 'rent' it for 12 months you get to keep it).

Get Sennheiser 201 budget headphones (about $30 or so) and a simple 25 key USB powered midi controller keyboard (Korg or Akai - about $40) and the only other bit of kit you'll need is, if you want to record vocals, a USB mic. Budget ones start at about $50.

I'd say the key VSTs you need (whether bundled with your DAW/keyboard or not) are:
Decent Acoustic Drum package (Sonar Artist has the very competent Session Drummer 3 bundled, and the mid-range Sonar ($9.99 a month) has the bang up to date and fantastic Addictive Drums 2).
Good Piano Sound (True Piano is free and Addictive Keys has a very nice free demo of their Grand)
A modern subtractive synth (if you want a budget swiss army penknife with shedloads of decent presets Synthmaster is worth a look and you can often pick it up for about $50)
Possibly something to make guitar noises (my Korg microkey came bundled with AAS Strum Session - or you could use loops many of which can be found for free or picked up in songset type libraries like at http://impactsoundworks.com/products/gu ... -volume-1/ for $25)

And that's about it to start. Oh unless you'd like a decent primer on computer music composition by Michael Hewitt.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1598 ... ge_o03_s00
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

I dunno... I personally wouldn't buy a second hand laptop. You get more bang for your buck buying a PC.

You have more of a choice too, unfortunately there are quite a few windows only Vsts (it's very few the other way round).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Yeah, I'd say stick with the pc you have now.

Re DAW ...Mixcraft. Not to heavy not to pricey plenty of plugins that sound good.

Re Tutorials.... See Daw
Most Daws have boat loads of tutorials on youtube. Learning how to do this or add that or clean up the other thing make more sense when you can find it in your daw.

Re soundcard. Honestly if you are an amatuer this is much to do about nothing.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”