How good are these Samson Resolv A6 monitors?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I found a good deal on a used pair of these monitors. They won't be used for music making, but for general listening, but the reason I ask here is because people here are more familiar with monitors as opposed to hi-fi speakers or computer speakers.

The SOS review says their mids are "obviously coloured", which is OK for my use, but how detailed are they compared to other monitors in their price range?

Thanks.

I really like my Samson Rubicon 5a but I don't have the exact model you're talking about. I've heard them in showrooms and they sound pretty good. They are quite a few years old probably by now.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Thanks. I've posted this in like 8 forums and then recalled this community and knew I'd get my answer here, if anywhere. :)
So, yes, they're from 2009 I think. Would you say they're also enjoyable to listen to, or are they too accurate to enjoy?

Thanks again.

I listen to music and movies on my all the time. Sounds great. I do have a sub woofer also though.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

the rubicon are a totally different beast :shrug:

maybe have a listen to the jbl lsr 305....after exhaustive research, which included the resolv, these seemed to come out on top

Can't afford the jbl, they're $520 here. The used A6 are just $210.

yonyz wrote:Can't afford the jbl, they're $520 here. The used A6 are just $210.

ooooh :o

So should I get the A6?
Other alternative in my budget is the microlab SOLO6C, which can be bought new for $160.

the only way to tell is to hear them, though a quick search shows that the microlabs might not be revealing enough for mixing purposes (more hifi)

given the prices you quoted, make sure the samson's are priced as a pair (monitors are often sold as singles)

with your budget, it might be worth going for the samson's. if you can get a listen, then do so.

The Samson are a pair, yes. They're not for mixing purposes, though. I don't make music, I just wanted good stereo speakers and read that budget monitors are better than most "computer speakers". I'll be able to listen to the Samson today or tomorrow (waiting for a call from the guy who sells them), but I won't be able to listen to the Microlab speakers, because no store will let me.
Last edited by yonyz on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

yonyz wrote:The Samson are a pair, yes. They're not fox mixing purposed, though. I don't make music, I just wanted good stereo speakers and read that budget monitors are better than most "computer speakers". I'll be able to listen to the Samson today or tomorrow (waiting for a call from the guy who sells them), but I won't be able to listen to the Microlab speakers, because no store will let me.
yeah, i forgot you wanted more hifi speakers (strange that you have accrued so many posts here without being a music maker)

if you are really only looking for speakers for enjoyment, i might start the search over again, and concentrate on speakers that are not designed for a studio environment. the aim of the studio monitor is to be as un-flattering to the music as possible, so this can often be at odds with a good listening experience

That's what I was thinking when I first started looking into new speakers. However, it seems that the M-Audio BX5 and other monitors, sycg as the JBL LSR305, are rather popular as multimedia speakers. Speakers that are considered "hifi" are out of my budget, so I arrived at the conclusion that I should look into either computer speakers or budget monitors, which both aren't too accurate or analytic.

I found a used pair of BX5a for $250, and I might be able to negotiate a price similar to that of the used Resolv A6. Any idea which is preferable? One amateur review I read favored the A6, but the BX5 series is much more popular, and not just for monitoring purposes.

yonyz wrote:That's what I was thinking when I first started looking into new speakers. However, it seems that the M-Audio BX5 and other monitors, sycg as the JBL LSR305, are rather popular as multimedia speakers. Speakers that are considered "hifi" are out of my budget, so I arrived at the conclusion that I should look into either computer speakers or budget monitors, which both aren't too accurate or analytic.

I found a used pair of BX5a for $250, and I might be able to negotiate a price similar to that of the used Resolv A6. Any idea which is preferable? One amateur review I read favored the A6, but the BX5 series is much more popular, and not just for monitoring purposes.
i have the m-audio av-40mkii's, and they are great for what they are. bass rolls off way early, but then i didn't get them to shake the room. i'd imagine the bx's are quite a lot better. i'd want to check them against the samson's though, as i have a suspicion they are better

when i say hi-fi, i guess i mean more like pairing up a set of passive speakers with an amplifier. less portable, but i bet you could stretch your budget much further with a used amp and some cool little bookshelf passives :shrug:

as for the bx5's being more popular ?? i think it's because m-audio are synonymous with studio gear, and have a price that suits most

also, don't know what the 2nd-hand market is like where you are, but i used to really enjoy my alesis m1 mk2 actives for pretty much everything

I wouldn't use monitors for general listening ... imho you'd be much better off investing in a hifi system.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”