Effects units to add warmth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm working with mostly analog hardware synths, but nonetheless that looks great. Thank you.

do_androids_dream wrote:I concur on Voxengo Tube Amp and IVGI. Both good for adding a bit of sizzle to synths or electronic drums.
I recently tried out IVGI for the first time, it's great. Tried Sonimus Satson before, but what it does to the sound is very subtle, while IVGI can get pretty heavy, but that's fine for me. So big +1 for IVGI.

Libertine Lush wrote:I'm curious to know if effects units, besides ones made specifically for adding warmth, can be used specifically to add warmth to the sound of a synthesizer.

If so, which types of effects units (chorus, delay, reverb, etc) would be used, what specifications should I look for and which models if there are standouts you think suitable for this?

Thanks for any help.
Don't know about warmth but http://www.klanghelm.com/SDRR.php or http://www.g-sonique.com/twisthead.html can make your synth sound HOT :violin:

I like NLS a lot too. Sometimes I use Waves Kramer Tape that somehow opens the sound.

If you use VST, check free plugins from VarietyOfSound, such as BootEQ, TesslaSE, and some others.

Also I learned a trick from a presentation by Andrew Scheps which is putting Waves PuigChild on the stereo buss without any compression dialed in -- just to run the source through the transformer emulation.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

I also recommend that you compare how the various plugins affect harmonics. Try them on a simple 2-3 osc chord and listen / see if they add just odd or even harmonics or also add intermediate frequencies (noise). I did that with some of the above plugins, and differences were easy to hear.

PS. You can also add Toneboosters ReelBus & Voxengo VariSaturator (£10-15 now in Marketplace) to your warmify list.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

seems that fab filter saturn does that kind of stuff

Yeah there are certainly plugins that respond better to complex material as opposed to simpler. Cobalt Saphira is a good example of this.

It's not Su much a plugin that will make much difference on a per instrument level, but stick it on a submix or the master and it can work wonders adding edge and air.

It's certainly a plugin that is more on the subtle side however and not exactly what I would turn to in order to "warm" up a signal.

My choices were stated earlier.

What, no mention of "Vintage Warmer" by PSP? There was a time when you couldn't read an article in a Future Publishing audio-related magazine without seeing a reference to it. Gone out of fashion?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I find that simply boosting the bass with a good EQ curve really adds to VST synth sound and makes them more convincing.

For example, on a some old analog hardwares, with the low pass filter almost all the way and resonance up you could get some really deep bass sounds. But on most VSTi plugins, the overal volume goes down as the resonance goes up so it feels like the synth is losing bass.

The workaround for this is to add a comination low shelf boost and parametric boost somewhere around 90 Hz. The low shelf should be at a corner frequency of anywhere from about 400 to 1000 Hz. The effect of the combined EQs is a bass that slopes downward from lows to highs so that the bass is boosted and the low mids are included as well. By doing just tiny amounts of boosting at higher frequencies, it helps preserve the timbral structure of the sound and prevents it from sounding muffled.

Another aspect that affects percieved "warmth" and fullness is stereo width. Having stereo width on low mids 200 Hz - 600 Hz can really help fatten a sound up. The way to do this is to take advantage of synth unison/spread/detune parameters and add just enough that mono becomes stereo. If your synth doesn't have those functions, you can get a similar effect using a thick chorus effect at about 32 % wetness.

I'm not a fan of distortion. I believe it's usually not subtle enough to use. But if you do use distortion, put a stereo chorus or detune after the distortion to get kind of a stereo width happening.

And in general you can widen up mixes using a mid-side VST plugin such as MSED. Good luck.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Thank you, NystagmusE, for all of that. Copy/pasted into my notes. I'll be trying out your wonderful tips.

I like Slate Digital VMR and Soundtoys 5 for adding a vintage sound and at the same time some effects.

Boost low-mids with EQ, Saturate with a very soft curve distortion (so soft that it almost feels like compression), and then afterwards cut the area you boosted beforehand. Instead of an insert I like to drive it a bit more with its own mixer track and then mix it into the dry signal - better way to saturate a wider dynamic range without flattening the signal.

I really like Voxengo Tube Amp, CamelPhatFree, Ferox, FerricTDS and ThrillseekerVBL for these tasks.

Sonnox Inflator
PSP Vntage Warmer
Sonnox Dynamics (warmth parameter)
Sonimus Burnley (nice warm coloration)

thats what i use usually

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”