SSD Opinions and Reccomendations

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, took me all day to set up my hybrid with all its programs, etc. I still have some incidental set up left, but I gave my programs a whirl and there is a significant improvement in regard to the loading times...very obvious (not to mention the waaaaaay quicker boot up). I do think I'll limit this computer to my mixing alone, no other programs besides Internet Explorer and Cubase. Not sure that will help keep it running fast...I bet it will.

So, thanks very much for all the terrific answers! I'm glad I read them all, that way I didn't expect too much, and was therefore delightedly surprised to discover such an improvement.

Much gratitude and happiest wishes to all!
Ha ha suck it!

I went ahead and bought the Samsung T1 Portable 250GB USB 3.0 External SSD, I imagine this is going to come in verrrrry handy :tu:
Ha ha suck it!

If you are using larger sample libraries for Kontakt or EWQL Play (especially Diamond or Platinum stuff) I strongly recommend either a 1TB SSD (I have the Samsung 850 EVO which is incredibly fast) or run two 500gb drives in a RAID (to make up a 1TB drive).

Loading times on these libraries went from minutes to seconds on my system. And I was coming from a hybrid style setup with a large SSD cache. It did little to help... it is great for caching your DAW and programs but really makes little difference with these sample libraries.

I still have a 25gb SSD setup as a cache drive but really do not notice it much.

thejonsolo wrote:If you are using larger sample libraries for Kontakt or EWQL Play (especially Diamond or Platinum stuff) I strongly recommend either a 1TB SSD (I have the Samsung 850 EVO which is incredibly fast) or run two 500gb drives in a RAID (to make up a 1TB drive).

Loading times on these libraries went from minutes to seconds on my system. And I was coming from a hybrid style setup with a large SSD cache. It did little to help... it is great for caching your DAW and programs but really makes little difference with these sample libraries.

I still have a 25gb SSD setup as a cache drive but really do not notice it much.
Thanks, I bought two 500gb Samsung external drives.
Ha ha suck it!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”