Recording hardware/interfaces/mixers

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey ya'll. I'm new here, sorry if do anything wrong or novice. But I was wondering if someone could explain to me inputs and outputs on hardware. Such as wat does 2 in and 4 out mean and how that keeps expanding to different numbers such as more input s and outputs? Much appreciated. I tried looking online but couldn't find anything.

Usually "2 in / 4 out" means you have one single stereo channel coming in and two of those going out.
One stereo channel consists of a separate left & right channel, which you could use for discrete mono channels.

On most mixers you have to be really careful how to read the amount of inputs / outputs. What channels are mono or stereo, what can be plugged in on specific channels?

Some interfaces have ADAT I/O which carries 8 digital channels on a single wire. I've seen an interface with 8 analog inputs advertise it has 18 input channels: 8 analog, 8 on ADAT and an extra 2 channels through SP/DIF (again digital.)

Whenever in doubt I have a proper look at a high-res photo of the connectors and/or read the users manual. The manual should make clear what a device really is capable of.

Does that help?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

But your mileage my vary... some interface manufacturers count the headphone jack as two of the outs.

Like BertKoor said, you have to really look at the panels on the interface and read the manual to see what you'll really get from the unit.

nice, thanks for the reply guys. i understand more now. i'm guessing multiple outs could go to other hardware units and also speakers? thanks again

If you intend to DJ you need 4 outputs ... 2 for the main output (stereo) and 2 for a cue mix (headphones) to hear tracks before you drop them into the mix. Multiple outs can also be used to run tracks into a hardware mixer.

thank you, it makes sense now. much appreciated everyone.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”