here is your budget...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's definitely worth spending a big chunk of the budget on good monitors and headphones, since they can serve you well for decades.

Start small and keep some of your budget for when you have a clearer idea of what you need / want to do.

No outboard necessary (except interface/monitors, of course).

Make sure you get an audio interface from a company that make good drivers and update them.

It's a good idea to get an audio interface with some more ins and outs than you think you need right now. In the future you may want to connect more than one pair of speakers at a time and be able to switch between them, and audio inputs can be useful even if you don't plan to do much recording. Inputting musical ideas (melodies, rhythms) with your voice is often the quickest and easiest way ... if you have a mic ready and connected.

A point that I don't think anyone's mentioned is ergonomics. Spend part of your budget on getting stands, furniture etc that give you a functional and healthy layout - everything within easy reach and without clutter. The right cables with the right length. This is also something that you may need to work out as you develop.

Room treatment doesn't necessarily involve a lot of work or money, and placement of monitors etc can have a lot of impact on your ability to get the desired sound. Check out the magazine Sound on Sound's "Studio SOS" article series for ideas on this and other things. (Free web access to older issues.)

stillshaded wrote:haha.. most everybody said the same thing. I think this is the first time that's ever happened.
Maybe many people made the same mistakes (me included)?

skipscada wrote:A point that I don't think anyone's mentioned is ergonomics. Spend part of your budget on getting stands, furniture etc that give you a functional and healthy layout - everything within easy reach and without clutter. The right cables with the right length. This is also something that you may need to work out as you develop.
Good point. Get a comfy chair ... :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”