Pros and Cons of ROLAND duo capture EX vs new STEINBERG UR22 mk2

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I have a question about audio interface choice, so I would be very gratefull for help :)

After narrowing down my options what to buy, I decided that it will be either Roland duo capture EX or NEW Steinberg UR22 mk2. I am sure both are great like many others.

Is there anyone here who tried these two units to share his opinion - pros and cons of both.

I saw that Roland has an option for stereo direct monitoring (which I might need when recording with 2 condenser microphones in future? - one for guitar and one for vocal), but NEW version of Steinberg is very recent product, so it might have some other technology advantages ? Any experience or opinion would be very welcome.

Thank you very much for help as I strugle how to decide, Best regards, AA

P.S. + the shop where I am buying, gives me option for having 5 years waranty with Roland if I pay a bit more and in case of Steinberg it is one year.

The MK2 finally levels the playing field in terms of features between the two.

Between the Duo Capture EX and the UR22 MK2 I'd take the steinberg because:
- Independent headphone volume control. (The roland only has a single knob for headphone/main out volume)
- Higher maximum sample rates (gives you more long-term flexibility)
- POSSIBLY slightly better performance. I have a Duo Capture EX and used to have the original UR22 and the steinberg had a small edge on the Roland in low-latency performance, but both devices were good, reliable performers, I imagine the same will be true for the MK2 but that's just an assumption.

(both devices support direct monitoring by the way... on the steinberg it's implemented via the MIX knob)

Thanks a lot for your opinion which is very helpfull. I was also more into Steinberg here, but 5 year waranty option with Roland put me into big thinking, as I plan to keep and use device at least 5-10 years. But I am still limited very much with my budget. Anyway...

I think, I will wait a bit to research more what I realy need? and add Steinberg UR242, Roland UA55 Quad capture and Focusrite 2i4 into the game. Most important to me is hi fidelity sound quality and musicality of sound, so mic. preamp is most important and 2nd is ability to be able to add some subtle but nice and natural sounding effects like deep cathedral reverb, a bit of delay, echo, tiny bit of chorus and compresion.

I actualy need something exclusively for recording and direct stereo monitoring with 2 condenser microphones which will be used for vocals, woodwinds and mybe classical guitar (current Rode M2 and Neumann KMS104 which I will get next year hopefully). So I don't care so much about being friendly with pluging in guitar, but only good mikes.

So what can actualy sound the best with condensers - does Focusrite realy has best sounding preamps?
UltimateOutsider wrote:(both devices support direct monitoring by the way... on the steinberg it's implemented via the MIX knob)
Mybe I wasn't clear enought - what I read few times was, that UR22 doesn't have stereo output ability, so you get mono sound, unless you use the DAW, but then latency will come in...

...and this link is similar but also different problem https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 57&t=84276

Best wishes, Thanks, AA

musicadivine wrote:So what can actualy sound the best with condensers - does Focusrite realy has best sounding preamps?
As far as sound goes... only you can answer that one. I've got two playlists for you, side-by-side recordings of all interfaces mentioned (2i2, Duo Capture, UR22) and several more. *

This one's line level (loud signal with input gain turned all the way down on the interfaces):
https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider ... line-level

And this one's at mic level (attenuated signal with interface pres cranked up):
https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider ... ti2-preamp

Each sample can be downloaded as the original uncompressed WAV if you don't trust SoundCloud.

* In these specific playlists, a Virus TI2 (with balanced TRS analog outs) was the sound source. For the line-level recordings it's a direct connection. For the preamp recordings, the Virus went through a stereo pair of DIs that attenuated each channel by 40db before hitting the interface. The recordings thus represent ADC, not DAC. Some day I'll do a grand DAC/ADC shoot-out, but just don't have the time ATM.

I own the Steinberg UR22, UR28m and MR816x, and not only are they stellar in sound and performance, I have never had any issues. I can't say the same of the three previous interfaces I owned, from Presonus and Focusrite.

You might consider extending your budget another $50 and getting the UR242, which has 4-ins, built-in DSP-FX for monitoring (though you get them as VSTs as well), and AC power (in addition to USB2) which can come in handy if you're powering, say, a couple of phantom mics.

sorry

UltimateOutsider wrote:
musicadivine wrote:So what can actualy sound the best with condensers - does Focusrite realy has best sounding preamps?
As far as sound goes... only you can answer that one. I've got two playlists for you, side-by-side recordings of all interfaces mentioned (2i2, Duo Capture, UR22) and several more. *

This one's line level (loud signal with input gain turned all the way down on the interfaces):
https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider ... line-level

And this one's at mic level (attenuated signal with interface pres cranked up):
https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider ... ti2-preamp

Each sample can be downloaded as the original uncompressed WAV if you don't trust SoundCloud.

* In these specific playlists, a Virus TI2 (with balanced TRS analog outs) was the sound source. For the line-level recordings it's a direct connection. For the preamp recordings, the Virus went through a stereo pair of DIs that attenuated each channel by 40db before hitting the interface. The recordings thus represent ADC, not DAC. Some day I'll do a grand DAC/ADC shoot-out, but just don't have the time ATM.
Sorry, but you must be kidding right ?
this is how you test and audio equipment for hi-fi sound ? you gotta be kidding
you need acoustic with less noises , no distortions, then one's ear can tell the difference if possible, and still not always sure

musicadivine wrote:After narrowing down my options what to buy, I decided that it will be either Roland duo capture EX or NEW Steinberg UR22 mk2.
Definitely UR22. To my ears sounds better and is more stable. I had difficulties with duo capture since it wanted to shut itself from time to time for some reason. With UR22 I've never had any issues.
flugel45 wrote:You might consider extending your budget another $50 and getting the UR242, which has 4-ins, built-in DSP-FX for monitoring (though you get them as VSTs as well), and AC power (in addition to USB2) which can come in handy if you're powering, say, a couple of phantom mics.
+1

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”