Yamaha HS7 or Adam A7X or...?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ben H wrote:I don't have the Sceptre 8's, but I have the S6's and love them.
Thanks! I'll need to decide between the S6 and S8 monitors.
Blue Phase Music

Dammit!

This is going to need to wait for quite a bit longer, though now I know I'm on the right track.

Just had an emergency situation pop up, so my music purchases will need to wait for a while. :(
Blue Phase Music

Rearranging some finances and it looks like I may be able to afford either the Adam A7X or PreSonus Sceptre S8 monitors (but not the S6--don't worry, it makes sense).

Question for y'all: just because I CAN get 8 inch monitors, so that mean I SHOULD? I'm in a relatively small room, though I have IK Arc System 2 on the way for compensation.
Blue Phase Music

I take it that if you're relatively close to a wall, front porting is better than rear, correct?

I'm truly sorry for all of the questions and comparisons and waffling, everyone. I'm having a difficult time of this, and reading reviews isn't helping.

Like I said, I used to have HS50m monitors, and I liked them, but I purged. I'm trying to get everything I need back, but more carefully, this time.

Either way, I'm making a purchase tomorrow.
Blue Phase Music

Go for the HS 7, especially if your room is relatively small. They are more or less the official successors of the famous Yamaha NS-10M, and their sound is very neutral. You can't do anything wrong with them. Just my humble opinion...

That's kinda what I was thinking, but what about porting? The Yamahas port to the rear, while the other two port in front.
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:That's kinda what I was thinking, but what about porting? The Yamahas port to the rear, while the other two port in front.
There are several controllers at the rear of the HS7 to adapt them to various room positions. You can, for example, lower bass and treble in case the HS7 are positioned close to the wall. Those controllers are very effective. Although my HS7 are positioned at a pretty close distance to the wall behind, all I had to do was lower the bass controller one step.

To cut it short: I know there are recommendations in forums (and even in the manual) to not position the HS7 too close to a wall. My experience is that it's no problem at all if you keep a minimum distance of 1 ft. (30 cm).

I'm ordering today, but I'm going back and forth between the Yamaha HS7s and Adam A7Xs. Quite the price difference between them, but then again, quite the review difference on SoS, too:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec13/a ... 7-hs8s.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug10/a ... am-a7x.htm

Though, I'm not sure how much of that is honest review work, or biased opinion based on price and reputation alone.

I'm not trying to be stupid nor stubborn here. I'm honestly having a hard time in this. I'd like to purchase one set of monitors that will last me as long as possible, no matter if I stay here or move to another house with more space. Unlikely, but possible. Or, hell, I could move to our basement, if we ever get that cleared. Much more space down there.

The other thing is, I'm right against a wall. I don't really have the option for much space between wall and monitors, at least, in my current situation. I'd love to kick my husband out of our office (my "studio") and place myself smack-dab in the center of the room, but that just ain't happenin'. That's the main reason for wondering if the front-ported Adams might be better for my particular situation. I know there would be a lot of wasted range and dynamics with those monitors because of my space, but there may be other advantages.

That's why I'm so confused.

The Adams are almost three times as much, but are they three times the monitors?
Blue Phase Music

I've requested a price-match on the Yamahas and received it, and I'm waiting on a price-match on the Adams. The answer to that request will determine which ones I get.

This one is taking a little longer.

I'm also not getting the PreSonus Studio 192 for two reasons: One, after the other day, I cannot afford to get it right now, but after thinking about it, I already have all of the I/O I need in my Steinberg UR22, so why bother?
Blue Phase Music

Presonus lacks details on overall mix.
Adam A7 particularly add lots of enhancements to the mix, especially in hi/mid ranges
Yamaha HS series are tight and gives more flat sound, IMO better than their MSP series also cheaper.
Good luck

Blue Phase Music wrote: I'd like to purchase one set of monitors that will last me as long as possible, no matter if I stay here or move to another house with more space.
Which is exactly why I would recommend the HS7. They will give you neutral results in most "normally sized" rooms. So, unless you move into a castle or a very spacious basement, they should serve you well for the next few decades.

You might want to read the following with regard to rear-ported monitors:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio- ... -wall.html

... and the overall opinion of customers having purchased the HS7 (most people gave 5 stars):

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS7-100-Wa ... geNumber=1

Yamaha it is! :)

Thanks, everyone! :hug:
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:Yamaha it is! :)

Thanks, everyone! :hug:
Congratulations mate! Have a lovely time. Good luck :party:

Thanks! :tu:

It says they ship today, and it's free, two-day shipping, so they should be here Saturday. :hyper:
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:I take it that if you're relatively close to a wall, front porting is better than rear, correct?
Absolutely. It makes a world of difference.

You don't get that boomy, muddy, bass build up that rear porting speakers create, which is easier to prevent by buying the right speakers from the beginning, rather than trying to "compensate" for it once the damage has already been done

You also get a greater level of clarity with the sound directed towards you, which is also why phones with front facing speakers are all the rage with music enthusiasts, rather than phones which have their speakers on the back.
phreaque wrote:Presonus lacks details on overall mix.
Huh? Why are you spouting such rubbish?
I have had my Sceptre 6s for 2 1/2 years now and they definitely DON'T "lack details."

On the contrary, one of the things that I LOVE about them so much is the fact that EVEN at low volumes they still retail the same level of detail as consistency as when they are turned fully up.

I also monitor/listen on them all day every day and they are not fatiguing like a lot of speakers can be.

@Blue Phase Music
Don't just go by online reviews. You really need to try and listen to them for yourself somewhere. If you can't, make sure you buy from somewhere that has a good returns policy in case you don't like them. ;)
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”