Plugins (help deciding what to get)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What plugins do you guys recommend?

I'm just getting started bought fl12 today was thinking about starting out with spire but unsure if you can design bass lines with it but I like the synth sounds. Heard sylenth, nexus and massive are kind over used. But imagine there are a lot of presets, sound banks and tutorials on sound design.

What are the positives and negatives of each one? Know of omnisphere 2, gladiator, kawai, dune 2, serum, purity etc. Can automate different parameters in fruity loops etc. What are producers of 2016 mostly likely to use? How do you guys afford plugins they are so expensive haha. Thanks

Now that's a loaded question!

Most of us won't be able to answer such a general question for you, only you will be able to.

If you narrow it down a little, I'm sure some people will be happy to provide you with suggestions or hints. Such as, what genre do you plan on working in?
Blue Phase Music

It's a very vast topic... Maybe this will help: http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the ... day-621799

As you wrote - the most popular ones have many resources (presets, tutorials) but are overused. On the other side if you want to sound like someone or do a very distinct genre (dubstep and the likes) it's easier using synths that everybody is using. What kind of music do you want to do?

Interested in hip hop instrumentals which aren't to generic you hear a lot of beats with the same sound, trap etc. Want something fresh and new sounding maybe dance synths but slowed down to 90bpm with 808s, hats etc and a decent bassline and pianos.

For the most part, we don't buy a lot of VST's over a short period of time. Doing that is usually highly counter-productive. Most of us buy very few VST's at a time, and do our best to work with those few tools. That way, we don't break the bank, and we actually get a chance to get to know our tools. This is particularly important if you're new: LIMIT YOUR TOOLS, or you will not learn to use them well.

One decent synth will be absolutely sufficient when you're starting out. You will still be capable of putting together hits, because a track's quality depends very little on the gear used, and depends 90% on the manner of your craftsmanship and artistry.

In fact, there's added benefits: Tons of artists have found that their creativity can thrive when you enforce constraints. It can help impart creative focus. Some artists have found that their creativity suffers when they feel over-burdened with options and ambiguity. It's also easier to learn the technique and technicalities when you limit all the variables flying around, too.

So with all that said, I'll suggest that you disregard the complaint that some VST's are 'over-used.'
For one, a synthesizer is so versatile in sound that the complaint hardly even makes sense. Admittedly you can rely heavily on presets over and over, and people may recognize the preset, but this is not always a bad thing. Consider the piano: it always sounds the same, but we don't particularly care. It sounds good, it does the job, and indeed the familiarity of it's usage can pull the listener in, and helps the author better craft how it's used. A closer analogy might be the guitar - It always sounds basically the same, but varies depending on some settings that the guitarist tweaks. But for the most part, we don't complain about guitars that much.

Second of all, if a VST is highly used, isn't there probably a good reason for it? When you're starting out, frankly you need all the help you can get. Making modern, computer-based music is a huge, complicated subject. If you have a common instrument, then you have the benefit of tons of community and support, and likely a reliable product. You've probably also got a lot of expansion options, like a ton of preset packs. Etc.

Alright I'll cool it with the lecturing. I suggest getting a very commonly used subtractive synthesizer. You can't go wrong with Massive, Sylenth, or Synth1(free). Maybe pick up a preset pack that caters to your desired stylistic direction. There's frankly a ton of great, highly used synths, so pick one you'r enthusiastic about, and commit. Though I'd nudge you toward one of the more stereotypical/basic types(the prior mentioned three are all common subtractive synthesizers), so that you can better learn the ins-and-outs of synthesis. I'd also nudge you toward a less expensive option, since price does not = quality. Once you're comfortable with one of those, you'll be capable with many others.

Similarly, pick one sampling/drum-management VST, and commit to it. Flexing your sampler will take you far, in terms of novelty and creativity, so the sooner you learn and master one good sampler, the better.

Further instrument VST's are a bit more niche, and frankly probably unnecessary, so best avoid them unless you have something specific in mind.

As for FX VST's, native plug-ins can go a very, very long ways. Same story as above.

In a perfect world, the money and time you save by buying very few VSTs will allow you to buy what you KNOW you need later on down the line, once you've got a foot hold. A foot hold you've reached faster, since you weren't inundated with unnecessary software and complication.

Also, you mention your interest in hip hop, trap. One of the hallmarks of the style is simplicity, and it's DIY nature. Traditionally, it's pioneers hardly knew anything about music technology, theory, didn't have much gear, didn't have the 'right' gear. They took what they had, and MADE IT WORK. Hip hop would not have sounded the same if they had all the right gear, and to an extent, it's still true today.

Good luck.

First if you wanna learn synthesis get Syntorial http://www.syntorial.com/ it's an interactive course. It's excellent.

After doing you will be able to demo synths properly and find the one that suits your needs.
dedication to flying

Don't forget to explore FL Studio synths. I don't now the version you use but if it's Signature bundle you also have Harmless, Sytrus and Groove Machine Synth (all of them except the first are included in Producer edition). All of them are not bad. They are FLi (not VSTi) but it means that you cannot use them in other hosts (Reaper, Cubase etc.).
Also in FLStudio there are such synths as 3xOsc, DX10, MiniSynth. Very basic but usable.

And don't buy many synths (and plugins), it has no sense. Pick one or two you really like and learn them.

Thanks for the replies I guess that makes sense limiting yourself to one so it's not counter productive and making a more informed choice about what you would like to use later down the track. Will look into probably buying one of these 3 sylenth1, nexus and spire but start with synth1 since it's free. Also will look into that synthesis tutorial.

Are the different parameters of plugins automatable how do you go about doing this. I have FL 12, and do have different instances of a plugin running at the same time. Is it quite demanding on the ram and cpu. I have a cheap hp laptop atm and a bit concerned about this. Cheers

buying lots of vst won't make you a better artist or your music will not sound incredibly better... stick to a few and unleash your creativity. use samples also

I'm a newbie and I'm maybe in the wrong forum. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a solo jazz musician. I've always been my own roadie, so I have to minimize the loading/unloading, especially as I get older. My dream has always been to have the few instrument sounds I need for gigging in the smallest package. Every module or keyboard I have is lacking in two or more of the sounds I want.

So I've bought a Receptor rev C with version 1.7. I would like to upgrade the RAM and install a SSD to quicken booting and loading of instruments. But I'm not sure I need extra horsepower considering the limited sound set I'm seeking. I play left hand bass on a split keyboard and would like to have Acoustic Bass, Electric Bass and Fretless Bass. My right hand instruments are Acoustic Piano (anything out there better than or close to Ivory?), Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Vibraphone and a few fixed B3 sounds.

1) I'd like opinions on how to acquire my sounds and spend the least money, but I don't mind paying as long as I am not also purchasing dozens or hundreds of other instruments in which I have no interest.
2) Do I have enough horsepower to quickly change among these instruments on gigs with only 2g of RAM and a rather slow 400g IDE HD?

Any and all help accepted.

--Joe

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”