Where to start?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone.

I suppose this question probably is asked a lot around here, but I couldn't find any threads covering my question, so I'll ask here.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to making music in general. I haven't played an instrument or made any electronic music whatsoever, but I feel like getting into it. Thing is, I don't know where I should start. I tried googling for some directions, but most links just recommended software or hardware, which isn't what I'm looking for.

I want to know about how to actually make songs, not about what equipment to use. Like, what should I learn first? Making drum patterns, figure out synths, something else? I plan on focussing on ambient/liquid dnb/chillstep type songs, but basically everything about the software I see is a big mistery to me. I have FL Studio and Audiotool.com (probably gonna use the latter) available. Don't know jack about synths and their waveforms, what all the knobs and switches I can change do, how to get a proper drum pattern going and so on. Most tutorials I've seen don't explain this, it seems that I am required to know about all that before even getting into making music.

So yeah, basically I would be very very grateful for some directions as to how to use DAWs. Or, if I really missed out on something and am too dumb to get into creating own tracks, please let me know.

TL;DR: looking for tutorials about DAWs

Thanks in advance. So long, Phr3nic~

I think you will find solid advise int his topic: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=436087

TL:DR:
You can learn to use music software, a DAW and synths but if you don't know how to develop musical ideas you will be stuck, staring at a blank project not knowing what to do.

That is why I would recommend picking an instrument and learn to play it, it is hard to find but the best way would be to get a teacher that also can teach composition: guitar or piano are good options, percussion can also be a good starting point.

For learning software: read the manual some with built in lessons (ableton Live), watch some tutorials on sites like groove3, lynda.com, macprovideo, sonic academy... But be aware that without musical ideas it can be hard to get a lot done even if you learn to usethe software.

Other suggestion, not cheap, and a shortcut for having fun while starting at this:Ableton Push. This controller makes composing music easy, even feels like cheating. It has one important function: scale mode, where it only plays notes in a certain scale so almost anything you "write" sounds good. Fun way to learn, not the only, but if you want instant gratification it is an option. Personally I like it a lot but I also complement it taking lessonsñ.

If you really want to learn how to use synths: www.syntorial.com it's an interactive course that uses ear training to teach you how to program synths, it's great, try the demo it in fact will take you quite far with just a few lessons.

If you get a controller with pads as Push or Akai MPD line you can also try http://melodics.com/ a course-game for learning to play pad controllers, it is fun, has a demo.

Finally: making music is not easy, specially if you want to achieve a polished sound, have fun doing it and don't expect fgasyt results. It takes effort and lot of time.
dedication to flying

Pick an instrument and take up music lessons then slowly start writing your own music. A guitar if you're into rock, a keyboard/synth if your into electronic music

Regardless of genre, I'd recommend learning to play keyboard, it'll serve you well for getting songs into your computer.

Learn to read notation - musical score.

Musical scales, harmony, melody, form. Learn what they are and how to use them. Learn how they apply in the genre you're interested in. Learn how to read the score to songs you know and understand the scales, harmony, melody and form from that. Then try just listening to the songs and see if you understand them the same way.

Sketch. I mean on paper - just draw out form that you've recognised from songs you've listened to but not looked at the score for. See how much you can notate yourself. Then compare with a notated score for the song.

That's all good practice for skills you'll find useful in creating songs. It's also damn hard work and I found it impossible to keep up as I'm more interested in playing drums than writing songs...

Of course, creating novel content requires creativity - you can't learn to be creative, it's not a skill. You can learn the skills that make it easy to capture your creativity in permanent form, though.

I plan on focussing on ambient/liquid dnb/chillstep type songs, but basically everything about the software I see is a big mistery to me
Then you will heavily rely on sample manipulation. It may include samples and samplers themselves, timescretch, granular synthesis and spectral manipulation. Also, if not ambient, drum machines and syncopated rhytms.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

big ditto on getting a keyboard and learning to play...learning notation, chords, workflow, song structure, etc. Start by playing songs that you like to listen to. Then get a low-cost daw and try doing you own songs.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

Erm... if you are totally new to this and you want to make electronic music (DnB, etc.) Don't worry about theory or learning an instrument for the moment (even a keyboard). I can tell you now that there's a shitload of top guys who didn't have any theory or keyboard skills at the start.

Learning notation and theory is (imo), the most boring way you could learn to make electronic music. As you progress you'll pick up the stuff you need. Don't get me wrong learning a bit of theory will be very useful, but get experimenting and having fun is the best way to approach it (again imo).

No one can really tell you how to use a DAW in a thread tbh. Best thing is to check out some tutorials on youtube (as they are free). Or look at some tutes on Groove3's site. They have some really good beginner tutes.

DAW's are very personal to, so you'll get a bazillion different recommendations. If you have a mac then you should buy (or try) Logic. I say 'Logic' because it's 200 bucks and one of the better DAWs out there. It will have everything you'd need as well. Including killer synths and FX.

Personally, I like Studio One and Ableton. But that's me... If you're going to be making DnB, etc. Then you're really going to want to mangle samples as OP already said. Ableton has some of the best warping tools around and is very cool for getting your ideas down quick. It also has an easy learning curve (imo)...
Last edited by Robmobius on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

People here have tendency to do things the hard way :D

willdub1 wrote:Pick an instrument and take up music lessons then slowly start writing your own music. A guitar if you're into rock, a keyboard/synth if your into electronic music
Yes, you can start messing around now, just have fun with it.

Don"t expect to accomplish anything.

Get your feet wet and see how it feels, that's all.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

One way also is that in your DAW, open a song you like and what you'd like to do. Then listen how it's made, what sound is where etc etc. Put some markers where different parts of the song are. Then try to make that song by yourself. Like copying a pic by drawing.

Also "track from start to finish" -vids from youtube can be helpful. Generally stuff from SeamlessR and Sadowick are great.

Learning an instrument is a nice skill, but it's not necessary. Learning theory is a nice skill, but it's not necessary. Having the right tools is a nice luxury, but it's not necessary. Having a teacher is a nice luxury, but it's not necessary. Watching tons of youtube tutorials is a nice modern option, but it's not necessary.

You need one thing only: A DAW. You don't need anything else, at all. Literally nothing. You ~could~ buy a few more things to supplement it, things a sales rep highly recommends, but again they aren't necessary. The nice thing about this is that it imparts focus. You have only one program you need to learn, that's all. If you add to your list of things to learn, well, that makes it all the more mentally difficult to start.

You will need to Purchase a DAW. Do not pirate it; when you have no skin in the game, your commitment to making the most of it will be nil. You wont feel that critical tinge of guilt when it just sits there. If you pay for it, you will be invested, which greatly improves your chances of sticking with it in this early(and difficult) phase, and doing what it takes to learn the necessities, and making it work.

After you buy the DAW, read it's manual. Do not skip this step. It is the best way to get started as soon as possible. Nothing imparts more skill and knowledge faster than reading your tools' manuals. Anything else is beating around the bush, and is by comparison a waste of your time. Read The Manual.

Also, get your hands on a demo project for your DAW(if it doesn't already include one). Poking around an already-functional project is an incredibly useful tool. Much of the ambiguity you feel will clear right up just through examining a demo project. Or at least, it will give you a better idea of where to look for answers, and an idea of what is possible.

I don't believe much advice beyond this will be that helpful, as it will not be knowledge you can use right now. It's just disconnected facts and ideas that might merely impart more ambiguity. You don't need that. Keep things focused, and simple. Your endeavor will drive you branch and grow naturally over time, so avoid complications for now.

Buy a DAW, read it's manual, poke around in the DAW. Focus on that, and you will have plenty of momentum, and tons of potential. Good luck, and look forward to hearing back from you!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”