Few questions about PSP Audioware's Vintage Warmer

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm trying to get my head around Vintage Warmer but even after reading the manual, I still have some questions:

What's the difference between the single band and multiband?

On the back of the plugin, you can use different settings per band. Is that the only advantage of the multiband?

And what does the ceiling knob do?

I can find the explanation in the manual but I just don't understand it...

Thanks!!

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I have seen the videos and the creator admits that the ceiling knob doesn't make sense to him and he doesn't use it...

I will rewatch for the mutliband explanation but if anybody else could explain it like talking to a five year old, you have my attention!!

There are 2 ways to approach tools. Either A: Deeply understand them in a theoretical way or B: Fiddle with them until you get a practical, empirical understanding. Either way is just as valid if you get the results you want. In other words, don't sweat it if you never really get a full understanding of it - just use it. A mix engineer who has worked on lots of very well known 80's pop once told me that he still doesn't understand what all the terms on a compressor mean - but he sure knew how to use them to improve things ;)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

manducator wrote:I have seen the videos and the creator admits that the ceiling knob doesn't make sense to him and he doesn't use it...

I will rewatch for the mutliband explanation but if anybody else could explain it like talking to a five year old, you have my attention!!
As I understand it, in single-band mode the frequency knobs adjust EQ frequency points, while in multi they are the crossover split points. So in single, the level/freq knobs behave as an EQ, while in multi it's like a multi-band compressor where the level controls the amount of that band.

On individual tracks I almost always use single (or MicroWarmer) while multi is more for buses/master mix.

Ceiling affects maximum output level (before hitting the Output level, IIRC). I think with Brickwall engaged this will never exceed 0db on the meter, whereas levels can exceed that when it's disengaged. Ceiling/brickwall are important settings when VW is last effect in your "mastering" chain, less important if followed by another compressor/limiter.

IME you can get a really wide range of character just using Knee, Speed, and Mix - I usually start with these and then dial in Drive, Release, and EQ/multi-band levels/frequencies to taste.

do_androids_dream wrote:There are 2 ways to approach tools. Either A: Deeply understand them in a theoretical way or B: Fiddle with them until you get a practical, empirical understanding. Either way is just as valid if you get the results you want. In other words, don't sweat it if you never really get a full understanding of it - just use it. A mix engineer who has worked on lots of very well known 80's pop once told me that he still doesn't understand what all the terms on a compressor mean - but he sure knew how to use them to improve things ;)
I'm afraid I'm the A-type, I like to understand things.

But yeah, I'm using it and let my ears decide.

A mixing engineer that doesn't understand the terms on a compressor? So if his threshold is too high, he keeps fiddling with the attack, release and ration until he understands it doesn't do a thing to the sound, or something like that?

I only could get a grasp on compression by learning to understand the meaning of all knobs and terms.
Winstontaneous wrote:in single-band mode the frequency knobs adjust EQ frequency points, while in multi they are the crossover split points. So in single, the level/freq knobs behave as an EQ, while in multi it's like a multi-band compressor where the level controls the amount of that band.
That makes sense, thanks!!
Winstontaneous wrote:Ceiling affects maximum output level (before hitting the Output level, IIRC). I think with Brickwall engaged this will never exceed 0db on the meter, whereas levels can exceed that when it's disengaged. Ceiling/brickwall are important settings when VW is last effect in your "mastering" chain, less important if followed by another compressor/limiter.
Makes sense too but I need some experimentation to fully understand.

Thank you very much for your contribution, guys!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”