Looking for recommendations for home studio vocal mic and monitors in $400-500 range

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello my friends!

I'm posting this on as many music production forums as I can, in order to acquire as much feedback and opinions as I can.

So I have a Focusrite 2i4 as my soundcard/interface and a Toshiba Laptop running Win 10.

I have several DAW's, but Reaper is my main for both mixing and host for midi triggering of other sampling / synth programs.

I'd like to know what you guys would recommend for a good home studio vocal mic as well as a pair of studio monitors, and both in the $400 - $500 range.

(I might stretch a bit on either if it seems like it's worth it, but probably not too much. It just depends on how much of a significant difference in quality it's really going to make in order to make that stretch in cost)

I'd love to hear some recommendations, opinions, and feedback!

Thank you all and I will continue to check all replies even if I do not respond immediately due to the hours I work!

Other forums have been asking if I meant 400-500 total. I meant each, so 1000 total budget :)

I use a RODE NT1 for vocals and acoustic guitars ... I've been very impressed with the results so far. It's well within your price range (around $200) leaving more cash for monitors. I'm a Genelec fan (I have the 1029A & 1091A), but they may prove too expensive for your budget (worth every penny imho).

Awesome! Will look into these control! Thanks my friend :)

A pair of JBL LSR305s and a Mojave MA-201 fet should run you right about $1K.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

You didn't mention what type of vocals, but for male vocals, acoustic guitars, and mid-spectrum woodwinds (like Native American flute), I use a Blue Baby Bottle. I have the Rode NT1A mentioned by the other poster, and while it's a good "all-rounder" the Baby Bottle is head-and-shoulders above the Rode mic in terms of sound quality, especially on vocals. It's $400 retail, but you can find deals on eBay if you're patient. I paid just over $200 for mine with the original wooden box, shock mount, and logo-ed pop filter.

For speakers, have a listen to a pair of Yamaha HS series. I have a pair of HS7's and just love them. They are $600 a pair, but this combination would get you both the mic and the speakers for your $1000 budget, even at full retail.

Again, these speakers can be found on eBay for less than retail. I got my pair still in the sealed factory boxes for around $450 for the pair.

Good luck! :tu:

I have seen great results with the Rode NT1A and also the Shure SM57 combo. This will take care of all your mic needs. You can throw in an SM58 into the mix as well but with the NT1A and 57, you'll be able to record everything very well. That will set you back about $350 new or half that used.

For about $400 you can get HS series Yamaha monitors. I see I'm not the only one suggesting them. My top choice monitors are Genelec, Tannoy, and Yamaha. Honestly, you would have to demo each of them with a reference track to see which one works best with your ears; that is to say, your ears will tell you which one they like. I have read people get great results with an HS5m and HS8S combo. HS7's are really great but most people that own the sub swear they should have gotten it from the beginning. I totally agree. It's not to say that you can't get a good mix without it. It's just that you can hear and feel the things you normally cut out to avoid a bad mix. With a sub, you no longer guess and you can feel confident not cutting too much low end for fear of mud. For something like the aforementioned combo, you may need to get it used, which is not hard to find, in order to match your budget. With a range from 22Hz to 20KHz (monitor and sub combo), you should be able to have extremely professional sounding mixes even without a treated room. Just stock up on reference tracks.

For savings, get the speakers on Craiglist because you can demo them and there is less risk of delivery damage. eBay does offer buyer protection but the cost of sending the speakers back if there was a problem is rather expensive; hence the CL suggestion. For the microphone(s), I highly recommend eBay. You can always find great deals on used mics.

Good luck with your search.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Buying used is great, but watch out for microphones which are one of the categories I am more careful about, in the second-hand market.

For speakers you could try and see the Focal Alpha range, which is one of the best bangs for the buck. In that range you are not going to find much that is on that quality level.

For microphones, there are lots of dynamic mics that work great for vocals and you are never going to sell (RE20, 421 but even a 57!) but I am sensing you are looking for a condenser? Audiotechnica makes some good but not expensive ones, so do KEL and Oktava. You're going to use those even if you build a larger mic shelf in the future.
Markus
Studio manager by day..sound engineer by night!

Another vote for the Rode NT1a and the Yamaha HS monitors.

I found a new M-Audio Sputnik Vacuum Tube in that range.

Excellent sounding vocal microphone.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”