How can i progress fast in music production?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fastest way to progress, is to produce as much music as you can, as often as you can.

Exactly, the secret is to make faster and shorter songs.

But who said you have to be slow to learn stuff? If you are a fast learner, why go slow?

Like, look at Roy Batty. He had a two-year lifespan to try to extend it (his lifespan).
He had to learn, fast. He failed but he managed to track his creator. He is fictional, but still.

If Roy Batty was not fictional, he might have been able to extend his lifespan. And make humans extinct.
I mean HAL saying "Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?" is kind of believable.
And in reality maybe two years is way too much time for someone like Roy Batty.
Roy Batty was fast. Faster than Deckard. If Deckard was a replicant then why make him slower?

Why make replicants at all? In scrabble, a not-quite-truly-aware AI player named Quackle is already hundreds of times faster than any human.
Quackle has been beating world champions. Same with chess. Expletive, it's good that these chess and scrabble machines don't have desire yet.

If you are slow, you might become extinct. What was the topic again? Something about the fastest way?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

How can I progress fast in brain surgery? Medical school takes too long. I want to be a world class surgeon NOW! What tutorial videos should I watch? Which brand of scalpel should I buy? I've already been practicing on plush pokemon dolls with a plastic knife and an ice cream scooper for a couple of weeks and I'm frustrated that I'm not progressing faster.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Allan Morrow offers 1-2-1 tuition on trance through his AM studios brand, I did a full 2 days in his studio and the experience alone was awesome. I have taken away some great workflow from that 2 days and he was reasonably priced also. He also offers Skype tuition. His templates are by far the best trance ones I have seen also and are worth the price, I have had many from over the years to study from other places and they are all basic. Allan's ones are more detailed. I actually had done quite allot previous to going to Allan's like a degree in sound engineering and still took allot away from the 2 days. Allan is one of the producers I really respect in the trance scene he's a hardworking talented guy IMO
Although I'm not into making trance now I still keep in contact with him from time to time he's a good guy. Look him up on Facebook.

Stick to one or 2 synths either sylenth, spire, serum, Hive, zebra. Study presets and remake them.
Watch Ost & Meyer tutorials on YouTube they are great even if you are not making that style of trance.
Use only your daws effects for the first 3 years unless it's something like effectrix.
Study and learn from sample packs in fact only buy Dave Parkinson's one and Activas one as they are the two used heavily in that scene. Try and reuse the midis from the sample pack to remake the leads and baselines etc don't just use the samples and study the wavs you will progress quicker.
You won't get far unless you learn synthesis IMO in regards to layering unless you are happy making that low end label midi trance shit I like to call it.
Devote at least half an hour a day to learning an instrument don't underestimate this.
Prioritise days for stuff sound design one day, arrangement another etc.
Make an arrangement template for your DAW.
Have your sounds ready before you start the creative part of a track.
Buy computer music magazine it's great.
Study midis don't just drop them in.
Save channel strips to reimport in other sessions.
Watch stuff on you tube from producing other genres the techniques are totally relevant.
Think outside the box and bounce shit to audio
By the way point blanks course is really basic stuff and way over priced IMO.
There is no fast track in production I'm afraid

As said before practice practice practice

Or pay a ghost producer of all else fails there's loads of artists in the trance scene using them. A track will likely cost u as much as spire or sylenth lolz
Last edited by zeusweiler on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Press the button.

samskye wrote:I got into music production a few months ago. I have produced some progressive house newbie tracks. I have less time per day for music production for some more time, as i have to work too.

I am interested in producing trance music. I found some useful sources like trancemusicmastery.com , where can i find more sources like that ? I use FL Studio 12. How can I progress faster ?

Thanks for help.
Randomly selected aphorisms:
I started making music 50 (yes 50) years ago. And I'm still learning something new every week.

Don't be in such a hurry, you'll get there.

Like most people have said, practice often, at least every day, there is no other way.

Don't blinker yourself by selecting a specific genre. Every kind of music has something to offer, explore, and be original.

Learn to play an instrument - even a recorder will teach melody development.

Stick with one style you like. The more open minded you are, the more options you have, the less you get done.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Music biz is a dog-eat-dog world

To progress fast you need to step over the other guys to get ahead

You just need to gather all those little pieces that eventually falls into place for your preferred style/genre.
Some gets those pieces quickly by luck, talent, research, or someone that hands it to them.
Some gets them slowly by tedious hard work.
Or a combination of both.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Aloysius wrote:Stick with one style you like. The more open minded you are, the more options you have, the less you get done.
I disagree. You can't progress only if you stick to wjhat you already know. Or think you know.

Limiting yourself is good only once you have too many techniques at your disposal :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

LamsterMP wrote:Start with the basics and lern a music instrument first
+1

It might be also beneficial to spend some time learning how to learn. If you want to be fast, it makes sense to figure out what your learning style is and how to cater to it. The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin is a great book on that.

Basically you want to (a) Learn a new piece of the subject matter (b) Try it out yourself (c) Get feedback/critique on it (from yourself or others) and loop it back into (a). How fast you can do that over and over determines how fast you are progressing.

Also, check out which Twitch streamers there are who do music production, sit in their channels and ask them questions. I do this all the time and it has helped me a ton. Learn to ask good questions. Why did they do that specifically and what is their thought process behind it, etc.

It's also important to enjoy the learning process itself, otherwise you will stop when frustration shows up. It's going to happen. The only question is how long do you wait before you continue despite that pain. It's like running. If you stop when your muscles start to burn a bit, you will never build the capacity to run longer and longer.

Same goes for being certain that you can do it. Anything that lets you hesitate slows you down.

Well, basically what I've learn is:

. practise (a lot)
. Don't spend to much time on forums/internet :D (instead practise).
. Don't try to make a masterpiece every time you make a song.
. Be prepared to fail a lot, its part of the process. Just learn and move on.
. Try to work as fast as you can't. Don't become obsess with details.
. Learn you tools.
. Don't spend your time looking for the next big plug-in. Use what you have.
. Have fun
. practise

Good luck

harryupbabble wrote: If Deckard was a replicant then why make him slower?
That was the trade off for having a longer life span...

Err... sorry. I mean how did we get on to this again?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”