I think... I have everything I need?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure I do.
But I want to check and see if any of yall have any suggestions of anything else I might need.

Reaper
Line 6 HD500X
Roland Gaia
various guitars and basses
decent headphones

EZDrummer2
Korg Legacy Collection
Memory Moon ME80 (waiting on this one)
OPX-Pro II

I just picked up all the synths and Reaper this weekend. I still need to install all the synths and get them working with the DAW. Which I will be doing this week after I watch videos and read up on the DAW.

I quit all my bands (and quit drinking). I'm mainly a bass player. I'm a terrible guitar/keyboard player. I'm not even that good at bass. haha.
I messed with Fruity Loops in 2000 and Reason in 2006. I enjoyed tweaking knobs and sliders in Reason to make weird sounds with the sequencer. I love big lush pads and dark looming atmospheres. Vangelis, Carpenter, Robert Rich, Steve Roach, and Lustmord.

So as far as stuff I'll be trying to record. Death Metal, Psychedelic/Prog Rock, Ambient, DnB, Trance, Synthwave, and chiptune. I'll probably be sticking to synth based stuff for a while.

See anything missing? I will pick up a Chiptune VST and proper Piano sounds at some point. I feel like I need another synth. :roll:
But other than that besides learning/knowledge?
Thanks! :tu:

dozicusmaximus wrote:
I feel like I need another synth. :roll:
welcome to kvr

bluedad wrote:
dozicusmaximus wrote:
I feel like I need another synth. :roll:
welcome to kvr
Gotta catch them all...

I think not! Where are all your Effects, Samplers & Sample Libraries, Modulars, Mobile Apps, and what kind of Computer Setup do you have? You also seem to be missing an Eigenharp.....
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

"I think... I have everything I need?"

Famous last words.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

You might be right! :tu:

This song is about Gear Acquisition Syndrome:

https://youtu.be/gXq-14lV79s?t=20s
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

haha.
Well I guess I'm good for now.
In a month or two I'll have a better idea of whats going on.

Oh, and my computer is a year old Toshiba laptop. I5 with 8gb RAM. A healthy barely used laptop.

Get Dexed - free fm synth for more modern sounds.
Also you will probably need Kontakt some day, if you want hq realistic strings, brass, choir and so on.

anomandaris1 wrote:Get Dexed - free fm synth for more modern sounds.
Dexed is modelled after DX7 released in 1983 :roll:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
anomandaris1 wrote:Get Dexed - free fm synth for more modern sounds.
Dexed is modelled after DX7 released in 1983 :roll:
Yes, but you're forgetting 1983 is the future for most KVR members :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I was looking at grabbing Dexed. I mean it's free :)
The Wavestation and the M1 are the newest out of what I picked up.

I guess I could look into a VST that models something newer than that.

But wouldn't it come down to samples and sound design after that?
But I don't know what I'm talking about.
I guess if I knew more about oscillators and filters affecting certain paths and how they are routed into different areas and all that.

Any good books/videos recommended for learning synthesis? haha

dozicusmaximus wrote: I feel like I need another synth. :roll:
Try to think vice versa, works much better IMHO :D
I was same, gather all plugins that could be useful. It was all about trying to find plugins that deliver the kind of sound I want.. so work basically was about about switching presets, and trying different synths / effects.
At some point I did a hard cut to force myself into learning how this stuff actually works: "no more using presets!". I do use factory preset banks to learn how to program certain sounds, but next step is to set the synth to INIT and program it by myself.
With that approach the "need another synth" - syndrome inverts. Adding another synth means: learn to use/program that new synth first. Since this needs way more time than pushing "Install", or plugin a cable and selecting presets, you think twice about if you really need that new synth.
i.e. I'm down from 50+ VST plugins/synths, to: Virus TI, Cronox VST, couple of FabFilter plugins, LFOTool and my DAW (Ableton). Haven't found any type of sounds I need on my tracks, which I cannot synthesize with that setup (ok.. the Virus is not that good on pad sounds, but no moneh for a Nord Lead.. )

Just to give you some food for thought ... I prefer the "know about every small detail on your synth" vs "have 100 synths and know where to find the preset banks" :lol:
Last edited by PurpleSunray on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

dozicusmaximus wrote: Any good books/videos recommended for learning synthesis? haha
There about a billion + 1 videos on youtube, describing all kinds of synthesis techniques :P

Think Diva would served you better for most of your synth needs here instead of ME80, OPX and some of the Korg stuff, but still you can pickup something like Sunrizer (http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer) or JP6K (http://www.adamszabo.com/jp6k/) for more variety, especially on trance side of things.

But other than that, think you are pretty much covered. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thanks for the advice Purple.
For sure on learning the programs and not relying on presets. I'm pretty particular about sounds and will probably try too hard to be different anyway. haha

But... I said GOOD videos. :p
I have bookmarked a few.

Thanks Zex. I looked at the Diva. Everybody says it eats cpu and the videos showed it too. Plus I got the OBX and the Korg pack on sale. I spent a few dollars more. It might have been better to just go with one program that does a lot. But, I took the I can get all this stuff for cheap side of things. haha
I'll check out the Sunrizer and JP6K.

Overall I was just looking to get a few synths that represent all the decades with the technology that was available.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”