DAW for kids

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EldorBoye wrote:A fine piece of software concidering the price, but not at all what I was lokking for.
Yeah definitely, that was my findings too as reported in this thread long ago. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

You can try Tracktion. Tracktion 5 is free. But the workflow is not conventional. But it worked for me. And also as far as loops are concerned, you can checkout a website called looperman where people share royalty free loops (self made)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Grab Cubase.

It's great DAW with great workflow. I (a total beginner at the time) started with it and did not find any difficulties at all. The included instruments are nice, and layering loops is just as easy as drag n dropping. Also, if I'm not mistaken, cubase 9 included a lot more samples and loops (the installer is almost twice as big as cubase 8 ).

Paree wrote:You can try Tracktion. Tracktion 5 is free. But the workflow is not conventional. But it worked for me. And also as far as loops are concerned, you can checkout a website called looperman where people share royalty free loops (self made)
He needs easy to grasp DAW for a kid loaded with content, let's not recommend every DAW on the market.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Paree wrote:You can try Tracktion. Tracktion 5 is free. But the workflow is not conventional. But it worked for me. And also as far as loops are concerned, you can checkout a website called looperman where people share royalty free loops (self made)
He needs easy to grasp DAW for a kid loaded with content, let's not recommend every DAW on the market.
Actually, Looping in tracktion is easy as breeze.Just drag the loop as much as you want. And for an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER, Tracktion is pretty Intuitive.

Paree wrote:Actually, Looping in tracktion is easy as breeze.Just drag the loop as much as you want. And for an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER, Tracktion is pretty Intuitive.
He needs DAW LOADED with loop content, instruments and etc, intuitive, I needed to watch tutorial to start a project, knocked my head until I managed to add instrument&effects on a channel, note editor is by far the worst I used, guess there is more on the road, but intuitive, not really. :tu:

Zexila wrote:
Paree wrote:Actually, Looping in tracktion is easy as breeze.Just drag the loop as much as you want. And for an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER, Tracktion is pretty Intuitive.
He needs DAW LOADED with loop content, instruments and etc, intuitive, I needed to watch tutorial to start a project, knocked my head until I managed to add instrument&effects on a channel, note editor is by far the worst I used, guess there is more on the road, but intuitive, not really. :tu:
Okay. Agree. Intuitive is a matter of perspective.

I'm going to vote for either FL Studio or Reason. In my opinion, they're both great beginner DAWs because their interfaces make it very easy to visualize signal flow, which gives you a solid fundamental understanding of music software in general.

And, they're not toy DAWs, so they can keep up with him if he gets more advanced (especially FL Studio).

As far as bundled loops go, I don't think FL has many, and I'm not sure where Reason stands in 2017, but that can easily be remedied with the plethora of extra content available online: check out Splice.com, for example (forgive me if it was already mentioned).

shidostrife wrote:Grab Cubase.
Cubase 9 does have a pretty fat library of bundled content, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner DAW. It seems intuitive to us old-timers because we've become familiar with that "classic DAW" workflow, but I don't think it would be nearly as intuitive as something like FL for a ten-year-old.

It's great DAW with great workflow. I (a total beginner at the time) started with it and did not find any difficulties at all. The included instruments are nice, and layering loops is just as easy as drag n dropping. Also, if I'm not mistaken, cubase 9 included a lot more samples and loops (the installer is almost twice as big as cubase 8 ).
Really? I'm finding Cubase to have quite a steep learning curve. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Zexila wrote:
EldorBoye wrote:Did install Reaper on his PC, and found it didn't FIT the discripton at all.
+1 for Caustic. Easy to learn, plenty of YouTube tutorials. Only downside is it only does 4/4 time signature. There is even a usable Android version, free to try, $10 to load/save

dgmulf wrote:
Cubase 9 does have a pretty fat library of bundled content, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner DAW. It seems intuitive to us old-timers because we've become familiar with that "classic DAW" workflow, but I don't think it would be nearly as intuitive as something like FL for a ten-year-old.
zenophilix wrote: Really? I'm finding Cubase to have quite a steep learning curve. :hihi:
I think I'll quote myself again, with bold this time.

I also tried FL and Ableton Live, and I can't even get to start anything at that time, whilst with Cubase, I literally finished recording a song on day one. It does take time to make use of the more advanced features, but to start recording or layering loops, i think it's very easy to use.

Anw, it was a suggestion that I gave because I believe if a 16-yo with no experience and teacher could use it easily, maybe a 10-yo that have used his dad's DAW before, and have his dad by his side could also do.

Unfortunately, no demo for Cubase 9 yet.

do_androids_dream wrote:...'intuitive' is entirely down to each individual. I tried pretty much every daw back when I was deciding and Reaper was the only one that made sense to me without hitting the manual - cue shock horror lol :D
100% correct. I was sitting here racking my brain trying to figure out which one might work for a 10 year old, and I just can't think of which one, because of the fact that it boils down to preference of the individual. Your best bet is to let him demo different ones and observe which one he feels the comfortable with. Good luck! Report back if you find success.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

shidostrife wrote:I think I'll quote myself again, with bold this time.

And that was supposed to prove...?

zenophilix wrote:

You weren't even trying to understand my posts. I won't explain further to you.

shidostrife wrote:
zenophilix wrote:

You weren't even trying to understand my posts. I won't explain further to you.
I read your post. :dog:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”