Playing live/jamming on low budget

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey y'all
Just starting out and am wanting to record tracks (house, techno) through playing live and jamming.
Budget isn't big so what would be the best way in doing so?
Open to suggestions whether it be using cheap hardware or ableton with midi controllers or mixture of both.
What would be some good but simple Vst's?
I also want to sample vinyl.
I have some experience with ableton and have a drumming background. Not musically trained so have no real idea about chords or theory.

Suggest a setup :)

Thanks in advance

Bryan1990 wrote:Not musically trained so have no real idea about chords or theory.

Thanks in advance
Get a guitar or a keyboard and start learning. There's no way to jam songs without some knowledge about musical structure, chords, etc ... imho.

Thanks for the reply.
I still intend on learning chords theory etc once I have the setup I want.
More so want to know what the best setup would be for a beginner wanting to produce the way I do. On a budget of course.

Want to be able to just walk into the room without stuffing around and start making sounds. Without having to click on a mouse a million times

look into the Korg ESX. it's the most hands-on thing that exists. if it's not for you, then ableton live with a beatstep pro and a launchpad can provide a close enough experience.

Okay so this is what I'm thinking of doing.

Right now All I have is my MacBook with ableton, a small 2 input sound card and my monitors.
I'm most likely going to get a tr8 and a few synths (haven't decided yet) and then a couple of effects and a sampler, sp 404 most likely.
And then a midi controller/pad to keep me
Away from the laptop as much as possible.

I'll use ableton to sync everything together and record and because I only have a small sound card, get an outboard mixer for the synths, tr8 etc.

Now two questions, as I am a noob, would this be the best way to go about it?

And second, I want to have control of each drum track on the tr8, am I right in thinking that I'll have control over them on the machine itself without having to route each track to the mixer?

And suggestions and help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi there,
If you are planning to sample/produce your own loops or create loops live, you may want to take a look at this plugin (24eur):
http://www.4drx.com/plugins/looprecorder/

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Bryan1990 wrote:Not musically trained so have no real idea about chords or theory.

Thanks in advance
Get a guitar or a keyboard and start learning. There's no way to jam songs without some knowledge about musical structure, chords, etc ... imho.
Depends.

For techno jamming you don't need any of that.

Especially with Live you can jam for hours if you know how to handle Live.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”