Looking for a DAW, midi pattern friendly

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know of a daw where I can simply edit my midi patterns outside of the song and drag them into the time line as needed? An interface designed to organize my midi patterns outside of the song in some way to recall when needed. Maybe even edit a note and every instance of that same pattern in the song gets updated?

I like studio one but am finding this feature is a must have for the way my brain works. An example is I might have a melody span over 4 measures and repeat itself with slight variations. I would label each midi event (measure) A1 B1 C1 and D1. On the next pass through it might be A2 B1 C2 D1. So the I know with just the names how they relate. The letter is the position, number is a variation.

I want a daw where I can organize my midi events like that for later use and drag in what I want. Even edit A1 midi and all occurrence will be updated. I think fruity loops might do this but want to use piano roll for editing, not a step sequencer. I have only used studio one so far. Any suggestions?

EnergyXT works like this, but tbh I hesitate to recommend it because it's not the most stable DAW around.
iirc ACID works like this too.

FL Studio (fruity loops) has a piano roll these days, and a lot of people love the way it works. Not quite as intuitive as eXT for me, but it's still really easy to work quickly.

did you try S1's 'Scratchpad'?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I just tried out FL and patterns do what i am looking for. I just hope I can find a way to organize them (if ever needed) on the patterns page. The piano roll is very nice. It's easy to choose either step sequencer or piano roll. FL has come a long ways since I used it last.

I will look into those two daws. I've learned I wasted 3 weeks by picking a daw (S1) due to excitement of what it could offer without making sure it already offers what I need. I guess I am the type that needs patterns for organization.

S1 I thought scratch pad is temporary? I've messed around using layers and the pool. I have concluded S1 is not midi pattern friendly. It seems to favor converting to audio or recording audio to make real use of the pool. Layers are finicky as only the top one can be edited so you're constantly flipping layers up and back down to make edits. The midi event names end up all screwy. It is a great daw. I enjoyed it but lacks organization for midi patterns.

Edit: Well just saw that I can organize pattern order in a list which changes the order on the patterns screen.

s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

The scratch pad is nice. It takes care of the mess trying to make edits to lower layers. I can choose where my patterns go and how they are organized and they do get saved with the song. Unfortunate it is still not a pattern so editing a note of an event means manually replacing every event. Still the scratch pad goes a long ways to making S1 usable. Hmm.

Thankyou. I may not have to leave after all.

It's a shame Orion is not being developed anymore, because it's exactly what you want.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

Orion has the best GUI and setup. Really the only DAW I found inspiring.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

MuLab treats event sequences as objects and all references to the same sequence instance would get updated if you changed one. You do still have to get the sequence into the composition before you can edit it, but the (internal) browser then lets you easily add the sequence multiple times. Editing the sequence direct from the browser would be nice...

according to your needs i would recommend you to get FL or reaper only diff. is in reaper you can change the way any part function easily if you are not able to do something the reaper forum is active and the developer listens to every one and every request and updates are frequent and the screen is less clustered and if you are having any extra computer then you can off load the audio processing over that pc(re-slave) which i think is not possible in any other daw (FL,Live,Pro tools,Cubase no idea about s1)
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”