Recommend me some monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any monitors will be 'good' nowadays - such is the quality we have now reached at budget prices. The key with any monitoring is to be so used to the sound that you can make good decisions with them. And, room treatment - really -, is far more important than what monitors you have.

I'm still using the first monitors I bought - back in 2005 - Fostex PM1 MkII's - and I'm so used to them that I can make instant decisions about anything that passes my way.

You should be able to get a cracking pair of monitors for $400.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

So which cracking monitors would you recommend for $400? Truth is, my hearing is getting worse much faster than I care to acknowledge, and I kind of wonder if some really nice monitors would be lost on me at this point. I suppose I could look for a cheap used pair of HR824s to replace my old ones, but I'm not sure what else to consider.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Save your $$$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vIyNowgvg&sns=em

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH80

These look pretty good for a small set of monitors.
:borg:

^$1k a pair... :roll:

Interesting isn't it ? We tend to cheerfully recommend monitors to people as though they must have the same hearing as us or as if it makes no difference.

At my age, I think if I had a lot of money to spend on hearing music better then an improved hearing aid would probably do more than any monitors. And note I say "AN improved hearing aid" because I'm stone deaf in one ear so what's all this guff about stereo and needing a PAIR of monitors ? Is it any wonder one size doesn't fit all.

Steve

@slipstick

Nonsense.
Obviously everyone has to test monitor speakers for themselves.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

I was doing some research last week with the same price range. My search was for monitors that had both balanced and unbalanced inputs. I looked at your profile but it doesn't state where you live so I'm not sure if this is an option for you because my search was at the Musicians Friend & Sweetwater web sites. Both of those place don't add any extra costs to the price like taxes or shipping.

Mackie MR6mk3 - $149
Mackie MR8mk3 - $199

Behringer NEKKST K6 - $179
Behringer NEKKST K8 - $199
Behringer TRUTH B1031A 8" - $199

Sterling Audio MX8 8" - $179

slipstick wrote:Interesting isn't it ? We tend to cheerfully recommend monitors to people as though they must have the same hearing as us or as if it makes no difference.

At my age, I think if I had a lot of money to spend on hearing music better then an improved hearing aid would probably do more than any monitors. And note I say "AN improved hearing aid" because I'm stone deaf in one ear so what's all this guff about stereo and needing a PAIR of monitors ? Is it any wonder one size doesn't fit all.

Steve
I don't think that has anything to do with the choice of monitors. It's rather a choice to improve your health, and therefor, your life. Monitors aren't made for people with hearing issues, they're made for people with normal, average hearing. Same as TV's or displays, they just aren't made for people with vision impairments.

But my point is that almost no-one has "normal average hearing". We're all different. Granted I'm probably more different than many but e.g. many people over 50 can hear almost nothing above about 12-15KHz although some can. Quite a few people have reduced low frequency hearing. I know one person who claims not to be able to hear the lowest notes on a bass guitar.

That's why there are such a lot of different monitor speakers and no agreement about which are best. We basically choose on personal preference, not accuracy.

Steve

I think what weighs more is people's "preference". Some like more bass, some like it more neutral, some like cutting highs, some soft highs, some like it more hi-fi... i recently switched from M-Audio speakers to JBL's, and the new speakers are quite different, they have more bass (although a tiny tad less defined...), and by far not as cutting highs as the M-Audio ones. In general, i'd say they are more "hi-fi" sounding than the other ones, but, TBH, i like that. I could well understand if people don't though, and tend to prefer more sterile, clinical, and neutral speakers, because it surely makes identifying the different frequencies, and position in the stereo field easier.

e@rs wrote:^$1k a pair... :roll:

You get what you pay for when it comes to studio monitors.
:borg:

Ay. Just like with everything, i guess. :)

V0RT3X wrote:
e@rs wrote:^$1k a pair... :roll:

You get what you pay for when it comes to studio monitors.
Can't argue with that, but the OP asked for a $400 pair... :wink:

The only monitor that it have for under 400 dollars is JBL LSR305 which is great for such a price.

I am using M-Audio BX8. Totally underrated monitors. In the end of the day any monitors takes some getting used to. There are no shortcuts. Only a certain time of usage can make your ears used to the monitors. Once you "know" the sound of your monitors it will be easier to make good mixes.

I know some guy's who mix using cheap speakers and headphones, and still get good mixes.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”