I want to write music, but I can not!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nickamandote wrote:
murnau wrote:Life is so hard and unfair. Why all the people want to write music cannot? I don't get it. :cry:
I get it.
When you tell them they need to learn music theory (and this will take some time to master) they say it's crap and nobody needs that today - you can do it by ear :hyper:
Of course my reply was sarcastic meant. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
nickamandote wrote:
murnau wrote:Life is so hard and unfair. Why all the people want to write music cannot? I don't get it. :cry:
I get it.
When you tell them they need to learn music theory (and this will take some time to master) they say it's crap and nobody needs that today - you can do it by ear :hyper:
Of course my reply was sarcastic meant. :D
I know :tu:

EnemyFox wrote:Sorry guys, maybe I'm writing not there, but please read...
I've been trying to write music for about five years now, but I have a problem with this. I'm writing EDM. Experience is five years, and the tracks are crappy... Or rather not tracks, and sketches for 30 seconds. :(
Try to think in logical blocks. Every song has this blocks... intro, bridge, verse, outro... often there are different names like "climax" for the most important part etc.
Writing music and most important: interesting music, needs the understanding that a song is not composed as a whole big thing.
Often one interesting idea is repeated in other blocks, modified with a different chord progression or some additional/different sounds.

I don't get how you are bad at making music if you went to school for it and learned how to play the piano. Maybe you can't make a entire song but surely you can put a few chord progressions with a melody else you would not know how to play the piano. So stop visioning the end result. Add one element at a time and ask does what I just added sound good? If not load up you're saved file and try adding a new part again on top of what you already have. Don't try to make crap smell good. Let the song create itself over the course of a few weeks of trial and error.

A quote I like
"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field."

In the off chance you've got something you think is good, listening to it in a year, you realize it isn't as good as you thought. Because in a years (or however long) time you will be making stuff that is much better. I think the most important thing is to immerse yourself in music every day. It's like osmosis where eventually you're making stuff up in you're head while on the toilet.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”