Budget reverb - choice of 3!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.

Which of these reverbs?

Valhalla Vintage Verb
90%
Manny Marroquin Reverb
5%
D16 Toraverb
5%

Total votes: 62

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've pretty much "completed" my software studio now, with the exception of a "mixing" reverb (for a send). I've done some research, and I've narrowed it down to 3, as listed above. I had included PSP EasyVerb, but it's out of budget. MM Reverb is only there while it's on sale; I'm not paying full price for it.

Bit of background - I'm not into tweaking reverbs. When I had my hardware studio, I had a Lexicon MPX110, and loved it (can't use the plugin, don't have iLok dongle). I'll check algorithms, a few presets, but I'm not into tweaking reflections & predelays. I tend to use tiny amounts of reverb, on pretty much every channel (send amount varies to taste)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm into nice GUIs, when it comes to tweaking (hence the selections, and the lack of others like the base Waves ones). I get lost at the best of times with reverb!

I'd add RealTimeOnly's Reverbical at that price range, has the option to tweak in depth but presets are really nice too and you can morph between them if you fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... uv1IIAiZTs

I don' think it's a good idea to limit yourself to one specific reverb. Just like with synthesizers, it's good to have options (think horses for courses). For a clean reverb, i'd really get TB-Reverb (only 20 €), which is a part of the TB Track Essentials bundle: http://www.toneboosters.com/trackessentials/ I'd also keep my eye on the Sell & Buy forum here, to grab some more reverbs for a good price. It's best to do your homework before doing so, and try to figure out what type of reverb you need for your uses. I do best ATM with a combination of TB-Reverb, Eventide Blackhole and UltraReverb, and also many times the onboard reverb of Spire, which has a really nice pristine, clear, "High end" quality to it, which i rarely found on other reverbs.

Thanks for the replies!

Reverbical is out of budget for me, do they have sales?

I've seen TB Reverb before, but haven't read much about it. Doesn't seem a way to flick algorithms/presets on the GUI? Seems a it "scary" without it!

I'm heavily leaning against Manny Marroquin Reverb now, as it's a convolution reverb and too much for my CPU to take (during mixdown, I'm running plugs on every channel, and a wedge on the master channel). But I'm looking at TB Reverb as it's just SO cheap (there's one or two others in the bundle which may get a look in, namely the modulation & bit reducer). It may be a room reverb only, but that might be enough for a send.

How are the presets, as I don't fancy tweaking it all the time? I guess question for Toraverb too....

D16 sounds lovely at times and can also get into some other territory, but I had to go with VVV, simply because of the sound and *fits in the mix* and also because it's the only reverb I use, beside the one in my DAW at times.

If you have some cash later again you may also want to pick up this collection of presets for VVV, as you said you're not a tweaker:
http://www.synth-presets.com/Presets/Va ... intageVerb

chemicalfan wrote:I had included PSP EasyVerb, but it's out of budget
19€ here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=483477

VVV is undoubtedly the most versatile of that selection. That alone would make it my choice if I would only pick one. Plus it's just a very good reverb.

Ha ha, VVV simply gave no chance to the others... The most popular software reverb ever? Probably.

So I managed to find PSP EasyVerb for $29 on Don't Crack, so pulled the trigger....and regret it now, as I'm having a nightmare authorising it. Anyone know what PSP's support is like?

I read here recently that PSP are switching to iLok. Does your Easyverb still use their older C/R scheme? I think the move is due to constant issues with their protection scheme and OS X updates.
Image Image Image Image

I'm on PC (luckily...?), it's weird as I get 2 versions listed in my "user area" on their site - one with a serial number, and an iLok version. In the list, the iLok version says there's a problem and to contact support - downloading & installing the plugin anyway doesn't work (doesn't appear in Live or iLok Manager).

The serial number version will install, and I can add to Live, but only in demo mode - there is nowhere to enter the serial number at all (no dialog boxes, no settings menu, nothing at all).

I've raised a ticket, hoping for the best

Edit: I've just spotted a link for a "batch authorisation" program in the "small print", will have a go tonight!

chemicalfan wrote:...there is nowhere to enter the serial number at all (no dialog boxes, no settings menu, nothing at all).
Indeed, because the activation was done with a separate .reg file that you had to download and then manually run.

BTW, why on Earth you didn't get VVV (the poll winner with 89%)? :?

Toraverb is great but has its own flavor, and lends itself very nicely to experimental spaces. Its GUI however is really tiny and there's no way to ctrl+click/double-click to get the knobs to reset to zero, which can be quite annoying.

Valhalla VV is definitely a more "general use" lexicon-type reverb. If you're a preset guy mostly and want lots of "set and forget" options in one reverb, it would be VVV imo.

e@rs wrote:
chemicalfan wrote:...there is nowhere to enter the serial number at all (no dialog boxes, no settings menu, nothing at all).
Indeed, because the activation was done with a separate .reg file that you had to download and then manually run.

BTW, why on Earth you didn't get VVV (the poll winner with 89%)? :?
Money, although I have pretty big buyer's remorse. VVV has been described as "unsubtle" or "obvious" by many posts/reviews, and it put me against buying it a bit. I'm after a subtle, "gluey" reverb for use in mixing, not for channel effects (although I'm sure EasyVerb can do it, as it has some crazy big algorithms!)

I'm hoping once I get it working correctly, it'll serve my needs well!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”