Multisamples synths & softsynths, pros and cons?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I wonder what are the pros and cons of multisamples synth presets (like SFZ) vs softsynths (like Synth1 for example).

At first, I find multisamples are less tweakable and use lot more space. Maybe sound quality is better.

Apples and oranges.

Implementation has a lot more to do with it than the fundamental oscillator basis. With algorithmically generated oscillators, there is an opportunity to reduce anti-aliasing artifacts, but many developers don't fully reduce it due to the CPU tradeoff. With samplers there may be an interpolation issue, but all the good libraries are multisampled.

And there's a huge variety of softsynths which makes it even harder to compare. Wavetable synths are using single-cycle samples, spectral and granular synths like Iris, Alchemy, Form, Omnisphere, Falcon use sample-based oscillators. Treat sampling as the sound source opportunity it is.

And of course samples take up more space than mathematically generated audio. But such algorithms have yet to create completely convincing (or at least to the level samples can) acoustic instrument sounds. Some approaches such as physical modelling come close, and I expect the gap to be closed some day. But as for now, if you want certain sounds, you need a multi-gigabyte sample-based instrument, there's no way around it.

If you don't need or care for it, then feel free to go fully softsynth. But you'd be passing up a treasure trove of sound sources. There's a lot more tweakability in sample land if you know how to do it.

With multisampled synths you just buy presets. Only an option for preset junkies with more hard drive than brain space...

Oh, that sound harsh... but I can't help...

Of course if the sampler you use has enough options to tweak the sounds it still might be an option, but you usually pay twice, once for the sampler (like Kontakt) and for the sounds. And you pay for unecessary hard drive space.

I would prefer even a mediocre softsynth emulation over the sampled one... Creating a good sound needs feedback through my own ears. And the best sounds comes out of creating patches from scratch...

Some good shit will never sound good sampled. Some soft synths will never sound like what they emulate. Gotta figure that for yourself right? The big deal is how you wanna work. For a guy usin loops? Samples are king for speed. For a guy doin tricky shit with a big ass mod stack on the fx bus? Soft synth is gonna win for flexibility. Samples need space and plugs need power. Figure out how your work flows and balance that shit best you can.

First reply in this topic really provides some interesting unexpectable details.

But if you're talking about sampled synths, like, "a legend sampled!", there's much less you can tweak. some Moog samples are available for download... Though are they of any better use than a softsynth? Softsynths can do it all I believe.

Old analog oscillators were replaced by digital ones in some (real) models for better performance. And what we have now (on PC) is digital synths...

Tj Shredder wrote:With multisampled synths you just buy presets. Only an option for preset junkies with more hard drive than brain space...

Oh, that sound harsh... but I can't help...

Of course if the sampler you use has enough options to tweak the sounds it still might be an option, but you usually pay twice, once for the sampler (like Kontakt) and for the sounds. And you pay for unecessary hard drive space.

I would prefer even a mediocre softsynth emulation over the sampled one... Creating a good sound needs feedback through my own ears. And the best sounds comes out of creating patches from scratch...
Yes, I think that really sounds a little hard.

You're right, most play with a sampler only presets. But with a softsynth this will not be different. Many just use the presets they buy or find for free on the internet.

Whether you use sampler or softsynth ... with both you can invent sounds from scratch or just play presets.

Personally, I find it more convenient to create the sounds from scratch. I quickly have the sound I want, as if I search through preset banks for hours.

Thanks for the answers.

I think I'll go with softsynths for all synths sounds and samples for some acoustic instruments. I don't have a lot of space in my hard drive.

I always prefer softsynths to samples....
Samples often have artifacts that once in the mix, tend to stand out and loose something.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”