Plugin to change pitch based on sidechain pitch?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

are there plugins out there that can read the pitch of let's say a kick drum and apply this pitch to a sample in real time?

Thanks for your suggestions.

So this thing would detect a pitch from sidechain, detect a pitch from its main input, then pitch shift the main input to match the sidechain? It would require a good amount of PDC and I don't think it would work like you think it would. Given your example, a kick drum is generally a rapidly decaying pitch that doesn't settle on a specific frequency before the amplitude decays. Try it with a pitch detector and see how well it works.

I think that's why it doesn't exist. However, you can build a plugin chain in your DAW with parameter modulation as a proof of concept. For example, in Reaper, you would put ReaTune on the kick track, have it transmit MIDI to the sample track. On the sample track you have another ReaTune transmitting MIDI. You'd write a small script to calculate the semitone difference, then use that output to set ReaPitch accordingly.

Pretty sure it would sound like shit even if it were optimized. You're better off MIDI controlling a pitch shifter, but even then the results would probably be poor. Sounds like you want something like Melodyne.

Thanks, yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to achieve. I'm using Reaper but I can't write scripts. An offline process would be fine I guess. Can Melodyne analyse the original kick tracks pitch and apply this to the sampled track assuming the hits are properly lined up?
yellowmix wrote:So this thing would detect a pitch from sidechain, detect a pitch from its main input, then pitch shift the main input to match the sidechain? It would require a good amount of PDC and I don't think it would work like you think it would. Given your example, a kick drum is generally a rapidly decaying pitch that doesn't settle on a specific frequency before the amplitude decays. Try it with a pitch detector and see how well it works.

I think that's why it doesn't exist. However, you can build a plugin chain in your DAW with parameter modulation as a proof of concept. For example, in Reaper, you would put ReaTune on the kick track, have it transmit MIDI to the sample track. On the sample track you have another ReaTune transmitting MIDI. You'd write a small script to calculate the semitone difference, then use that output to set ReaPitch accordingly.

Pretty sure it would sound like shit even if it were optimized. You're better off MIDI controlling a pitch shifter, but even then the results would probably be poor. Sounds like you want something like Melodyne.

Theres a new and very expensive plugin called Transformizer that changes one sound to match the pitch envelope of another.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

colonel_claypoo wrote: Are there plugins out there that can read the pitch of let's
say a kick drum and apply this pitch to a sample in real time?
You can put your wish on the wishlist of the "developer challenge 2018".
Maybe someone creates such a plugin? :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”