Open-back vs closed-back headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

TLDR: how loud is the bleed from open-back headphones - is it going to disturb people in other rooms in the house if I'm working on a track at 4am?

The long version:

I need some new headphones for mixing and generally listening to music. I've been using Sennheiser HD280 pro (which are closed-back), but one of the earpieces has started to cut out intermittently.

I've been looking at Sennheiser HD600s (which are open-back). The specs look good, but a potential issue is that I often work quite early in the morning (e.g. 4am), and I'm a bit concerned about the bleed from the open-back design disturbing other people in other rooms in the house. Is this likely to be a problem?

Is it worth me tracking down a pair to listen to, or should I just order another pair of HD280s? I can always keep my existing pair for recording (even if I have to wiggle the earpiece once in a while).

Thanks.

yes they will bleed but not so much that it will disturb the guy in another room

these are head phone not speakers man...
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Thanks - that helps. :hug:

Will audition some open-back!

Of course it always depends on the level, but, i can't imagine someone next room hearing anything with open-back headphones, if the doors are closed. Mine hardly bleed more than in-ear phones.

chk071 wrote:Of course it always depends on the level, but, i can't imagine someone next room hearing anything with open-back headphones, if the doors are closed. Mine hardly bleed more than in-ear phones.
Thanks! :hug:

When your headphones bleed into other rooms, your ears probably bleed into your headphones :hihi:

I use the 280's as well, but more in order to keep sounds outside, rather than inside.

fluffy_little_something wrote:When your headphones bleed into other rooms, your ears probably bleed into your headphones :hihi:
Unfortunately that doesn't happen that way. More probably some damage will accumulate over time and result tinnitus some day.
~stratum~

counterparty wrote:
Is it worth me tracking down a pair to listen to, or should I just order another pair of HD280s? I can always keep my existing pair for recording (even if I have to wiggle the earpiece once in a while).

Thanks.
Definitely upgrade from your HD280, which are not very good by the way.
The HD600 are highly recommended (more than HD650).

(user of HD280, HD650, AT M50x, AKG K701, Audeeze LCD-X, plus other older models)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Thanks very much for your replies :hug:

Up until now my music has been as bad as my headphones, so it hasn't really been a problem.

However, it sounds like an upgrade might improve both.

(Ok, maybe just the headphones)

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”