Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
chk071
KVRAF

15714 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am Re: Best drum synth?

TBH, i like creating drum sounds with "general purpose" synths much more than with dedicated drum synths, because i feel like the synthesis is more flexible, and it sounds better to me as well. Dune CM is capable of some great drum sounds, for example.
c_voltage
KVRian

1057 posts since 16 May, 2004, from Soviet Union

Postby c_voltage; Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm Re: Best drum synth?

I think Microtonic is the best what was made out among software drum machines, by different criteria, beginning with sounds variety (despite such a simple configuration), ending with a lack of bugs, convenient and no cpu consumption. Some astonishing coding. But I agree with the above think about the fact that it would be great to make this device more complex.
yellowmix
KVRian

576 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm Re: Best drum synth?

Yeah, I prefer general synths, especially if they have MSEGs and FM. Zebra makes some awesome stomps, Serum EDM kicks thud your heart, then there's stuff like Chromaphone 2, which is great for uncanny valley sounds. Battery is fast and smooth for layering sounds. Nothing like stealing a transient from an acoustic bass drum and marrying it with an electronic body.

However, creativity can be sprung from limits, and things like Microtonic are a joy to use, especially with the Patternarium, and if you have a PO-32 to take it on the go. But there is no "best". For fast workflow, there's stuff like Sonic Academy Kick 2. But honestly, I got tired of it during the demo, since it prescribes how to make a kick a little too strictly and I saw its limits. I much prefer my preset templates in Serum, Avenger, Zebra, etc., because I can break out of them if I want to.

Last year I spent a day making kicks, claps, and snares and I'm set for a while. A lot of them pitch tuned as well. So which would you rather have, an explicit drum synth you'll use rarely or a general synth you'll not only use all the time but master in the process? You have Synthmaster, have you tried making drums in it? It's not the best workflow but it's gonna feel weird constricting yourself in anything less.
codec_spurt
KVRAF

3441 posts since 20 Sep, 2005

Postby codec_spurt; Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm Re: Best drum synth?

Tremor. If you have the CPU.

Drumatic. Very under-rated. Very good. Fantastic in fact.

Image-Line DrumSynth. Free in FLStudio, extra as a VST. Great softs.

Drumaxx. Also by Image-Line. Works very well with Drumatic.

Drumatic really can cover all those 909 and 808 and 606 sounds though. Not too expensive either.
“Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.”
dune_rave
KVRian

1102 posts since 22 Jun, 2006, from Hungary

Postby dune_rave; Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 pm Re: Best drum synth?

RP Punch
whannel
KVRer

7 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Postby whannel; Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 am Re: Best drum synth?

Sytrus, for full screen graphic envelopes and FM.
Silaris
KVRist

216 posts since 14 Jan, 2003, from USA

Postby Silaris; Sat May 19, 2018 10:07 am Re: Best drum synth?

FXpansion Tremor and Rob Papen Punch are the best drum synth plugins I own, but the workflow of both products could use some improvement. Punch can also load audio files.

With that said, I rarely use either plugin at this time.
The Chase
KVRAF

10507 posts since 12 Jun, 2004, from Alberto Balsam

Postby The Chase; Thu May 31, 2018 11:22 am Re: Best drum synth?

I know you're looking for something specialized, but the old hideous freebie Voyager I find unbeatable for synthesizing hihats until you get into semi/modulars, or xoxos' drum synths.

Old school analog synth hats are 4+ pulsewaves through two parallel bandpass filters, Voyager's 4 oscillators and parallel filters can whip them up in a hurry.
Mea Thrills
KVRer

10 posts since 30 May, 2018

Postby Mea Thrills; Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:19 am Re: Best drum synth?

D16 Punchbox and Tremor are pretty god. Tremor is a CPU beast though.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)