Phonec v1.0 has been released!

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I uninstalled an reinstalled Ableton and believe it or not now it loads the Phonec ! Now I can run the demo. :D

Endor-8o8 wrote:I uninstalled an reinstalled Ableton and believe it or not now it loads the Phonec ! Now I can run the demo. :D
Excellent! I figured it was something simple. Glad you got it working :)

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:I uninstalled an reinstalled Ableton and believe it or not now it loads the Phonec ! Now I can run the demo. :D
Excellent! I figured it was something simple. Glad you got it working :)
I'm really glad it works. The Phonec seems to be full of sonic possibilities of experimentations...Now Dubtron and Phonec are definitely on my wishlist.
Really great work for a very (ridiculous) fair price !! :D

Not bad :) The sound quality is good, though not stellar, but it is very flexible thanks to those unusual features. Although it is done in SE, there don't seem to be any limitations on the number of instances I can use :)

What are the differences between those 4 LP and 4 HP filters respectively? (db, SV or whatever?)

Zero feedback delay? Oversampling?

How many voices are there in polyphony mode?

The travel of the envelope sliders is a bit short...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Not bad :) The sound quality is good, though not stellar, but it is very flexible thanks to those unusual features. Although it is done in SE, there don't seem to be any limitations on the number of instances I can use :)
Multiple instances should not be an issue with newer Synthedit plugins. This was mainly a problem with plugins compiled with an outdated version. So many older plugins will have this problem on some dual core machines.
What are the differences between those 4 LP and 4 HP filters respectively? (db, SV or whatever?)
They are basically just using different algorithms that can be heard mostly with resonance.
Zero feedback delay? Oversampling?
I'm using Chris Kerry filter and oscillator modules, which are some of the best IMO, but no zero feedback delay and no oversampling. However I hear Synthedit v1.2 will support oversampling, although I'm not so sure what that implies exactly.
How many voices are there in polyphony mode?
32 voices
The travel of the envelope sliders is a bit short...

Try adjusting the 'Time' sliders. They are located to the right of the release slider of each envelope. This will make the envelope longer or shorter.

Thanks for the answers :)

I was just listening to those videos posted on http://parallelstructures.wordpress.com ... vhs-sound/
So, basically it is almost like an effect for decreasing and aging the sound quality of analog synth sounds. I even sense that kind of sound in some old TV themes like Hill Street Blues.

I guess oversampling and zero feedback delay technology would only hurt that purpose...

I haven't managed to create the "ethereal pads" you mention on your site.

Would it be too much trouble to list the brief specs of those 4 LP filters? Just so I know which is which, I assume there are 12db and 24db and maybe state variable filters among those four options. Thanks.

Although you have not even answered to my previous post, yet (makes me wonder if you are making your synths just for fun or if you are actually trying to sell licenses), one more question: How do I get the pitch bender of my keyboard to work with your synth?

The Time sliders are great by the way, they allow for slowly evolving sounds :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Although you have not even answered to my previous post, yet (makes me wonder if you are making your synths just for fun or if you are actually trying to sell licenses)
I apologize, I must have missed your last question. For the record, I'm just one guy with a 9-5 dayjob trying to pay my rent. Psychic Modulation is something I have always taken very seriously and I try my best to answer questions and emails as timely as possible, but sometimes life just happens.
I was just listening to those videos posted on http://parallelstructures.wordpress.com ... /phonec-an d-the-vhs-sound/
So, basically it is almost like an effect for decreasing and aging the sound quality of analog synth sounds. I even sense that kind of sound in some old TV themes like Hill Street Blues.

I guess oversampling and zero feedback delay technology would only hurt that purpose...
Not necessarily, but due to the lofi nature of Phonec, this might just not be noticed so much and is definitely not a focal point of this project.
I haven't managed to create the "ethereal pads" you mention on your site.
Check out the PADS/AMBIENCE section in the presets, experiment with the Detune and Buffer on the Echoshifter and make use of the envelope Time sliders.
Would it be too much trouble to list the brief specs of those 4 LP filters? Just so I know which is which, I assume there are 12db and 24db and maybe state variable filters among those four options. Thanks.
The filter used in Phonec is Chris Kerry's BiQuad Filter. I'm not sure of the exact specs, but if you'd like, I can get this information for you.
How do I get the pitch bender of my keyboard to work with your synth?
This was a mistake with the initial release and will be implemented in the next update (like a week or so).
The Time sliders are great by the way, they allow for slowly evolving sounds :)
I'm glad you find them useful :)

Ah, Ok, I thought you were a full-time developer :) No problem...

Yes, I have already tried those pads, but I did not find them nearly as ethereal as those of your other synth, which is even called Aethereal :) Unfortunately the interface of the latter is a bit too much for me to be intuitive and fun.

Don't bother those filter specifications. I was just wondering as most developers know the filters they build into their synths by heart. Thus I concluded you would at least be able to tell me right away whether LPx is 12 or 24 db. Either way, I already found my favorite filter, LPC.

I've just charged my PayPal account, will buy Phonec as soon as the new version is out :) But take your time, I hate bugs :P

fluffy_little_something wrote:Don't bother those filter specifications. I was just wondering as most developers know the filters they build into their synths by heart. Thus I concluded you would at least be able to tell me right away whether LPx is 12 or 24 db. Either way, I already found my favorite filter, LPC.
The different types of LPF and HPF are just different algorithms, but the filter itself is a 2 pole 12db filter. I can include an option in the next update to add more cascading stages to the filter. So for example if you want 4 pole 24db, you would set the filter stage to '2'.

Ah, all four are 12 db, interesting, didn't expect that. I though maybe LP D was 24 db, it sounds so muted compared to the others :)

One thing I have not quite figured out yet is the behavior of the controls. When I click twice on them, they are not reset. Sometimes they are reset when I click them three times, though. And sometimes they don't react at all.
The four controls in the Melt section don't seem to show in the value display. Plus, the speed control there is reset to an odd position, is that deliberate?

fluffy_little_something wrote:One thing I have not quite figured out yet is the behavior of the controls. When I click twice on them, they are not reset. Sometimes they are reset when I click them three times, though. And sometimes they don't react at all.
I think only fast double clicks trigger them. But I do notice it doesn't respond every now and then. Maybe I can try to work with it.
The four controls in the Melt section don't seem to show in the value display.
This is due to being limited to a certain number of pins on the module I used. I figured these wouldn't need fine tuning as much as some of the major controls so I left them off.
Plus, the speed control there is reset to an odd position, is that deliberate?
Simple mistake I guess. The default value is correct at an even number, but the max value goes over a bit making it seem offset. Must have been a typo.

For anyone following this thread but not the Psychic Modulation sub-forum, version 1.1 has been released. There is a separate thread on it here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362649

Is there any chance you might expand on the melt feature and release it as a stand alone effect? Cause I'd totally pay for that.

Return to “Psychic Modulation”