New Psychic Modulation projects in the works...

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: Phonec's evil twin
Now that is interesting :D

Totolitoto wrote:
Yes, I had this idea of a Phonec like synth but with more of an 80s horror/sci-fi kind of sound. It's gonna happen...

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
Totolitoto wrote:
Yes, I had this idea of a Phonec like synth but with more of an 80s horror/sci-fi kind of sound. It's gonna happen...
Jack are you kidding? this would be my dream synth come true LOL I'm serious!! I'm a huge Horror/sci fi nut and love those 80's soundtracks

ged leitch wrote:
jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
Totolitoto wrote:
Jack are you kidding? this would be my dream synth come true LOL I'm serious!! I'm a huge Horror/sci fi nut and love those 80's soundtracks
:)

Jack if you continue that way, Boards Of Canada are gonna sell all their stuff and will record their next piece with Phonec and its "evil twin". :D

If it's any help Jack, I do know they used a lot of spring reverb on the old John Carpenter soundtracks - the Furman RV 1 , I have an impulse of it and it sounds very nice indeed - not like a "Hi fi" Lexicon verb but nice and lo fi with character.

Endor-8o8 wrote:Jack if you continue that way, Boards Of Canada are gonna sell all their stuff and will record their next piece with Phonec and its "evil twin". :D
:lol:

that would be the day...

ged leitch wrote:If it's any help Jack, I do know they used a lot of spring reverb on the old John Carpenter soundtracks - the Furman RV 1 , I have an impulse of it and it sounds very nice indeed - not like a "Hi fi" Lexicon verb but nice and lo fi with character.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into this.

I managed to create a kind of reverb for Construct early on, but it was abandoned and eventually replaced with a dub delay. Maybe I could re-examine that idea if I decide to go that route with this new synth.

This new synth sounds interesting, but could someone point me to some examples of the style of sounds were talking about? I'm not too familiar with the genre and most of what I remember from 80's movies was pretty straightforward analog synth strings and filter seeps etc..

Not that I'd object to a PM version of a Jupiter or OB-whatever, but I don't think that's what you're aiming at.

Thanks

jPod wrote:This new synth sounds interesting, but could someone point me to some examples of the style of sounds were talking about? I'm not too familiar with the genre and most of what I remember from 80's movies was pretty straightforward analog synth strings and filter seeps etc..

Not that I'd object to a PM version of a Jupiter or OB-whatever, but I don't think that's what you're aiming at.

Thanks
It's really an idea I have based on how I remember scary 80s movies from my childhood. So I wouldn't say it's a genre so much, but rather an idea of a genre. Memories, especially from childhood tend to become exaggerated, so this might turn out to be a pretty weird synth bordering on the experimental, rather than just another vintage analog. But I do plan to research a good bit of 80s horror and sci-fi, just as I researched video logos when I created Phonec. So I'm imagining it will be similar to Phonec in terms of a nostalgic vhs sound but not as organic and jazzy. Imagine a dark, synthesizer based soundtrack from an obscure fictional horror film from the past about a bleak future, recreated in a present day context. That's what I'm aiming for.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:Imagine a dark, synthesizer based soundtrack from an obscure fictional horror film from the past about a bleak future, recreated in a present day context. That's what I'm aiming for.
That sounds great -- makes me think of dirty filters, ring modulators and "exotic" modulation FX. I.E. the good stuff. :)

It also reminds me of the sounds in Close Encounters. The main synths in that were all ARPs, a big ass 2500 and a Pro/DGX. Maybe something like the Pro's resonator system would be an interesting element to consider.

Actually, I think the EMS synths are the royalty of weird soundtrack tones and effects. Phonec has that wonderful HFO which yeilds similar sounds so maybe that'd be something to expand on.

Just thinking out loud...

Thanks

jPod wrote:
jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:Imagine a dark, synthesizer based soundtrack from an obscure fictional horror film from the past about a bleak future, recreated in a present day context. That's what I'm aiming for.
That sounds great -- makes me think of dirty filters, ring modulators and "exotic" modulation FX. I.E. the good stuff. :)

It also reminds me of the sounds in Close Encounters. The main synths in that were all ARPs, a big ass 2500 and a Pro/DGX. Maybe something like the Pro's resonator system would be an interesting element to consider.

Actually, I think the EMS synths are the royalty of weird soundtrack tones and effects. Phonec has that wonderful HFO which yeilds similar sounds so maybe that'd be something to expand on.

Just thinking out loud...

Thanks
I appreciate that info, thanks :)

Return to “Psychic Modulation”