• *GUI update: aesthetic improvements as well as various fixes
    *Improved sliders, now easier to control
    *Fixed sequencer random mode not working
    *Fixed volume changes when switching Melt modes
    *Fixed problem with panning envelope
    *Fixed various legato/portamento related arp issues
    *Noise level can now go higher
    *HFO velocity was inverted, now fixed
    *Added two new switches to seq; for adding an octave to pitch seq, and inverting filter/amp seq
    *Changed LFO3 target list, 'Melt' and 'Echo Tune' were not compatible with a polyohonic LFO, caused cpu spikes; added 'Sub Pitch'
    *Improved presets
    *Includes a separate 'effect' version so Cubase users can utilize audio input routing
Read more and download the latest demo here:
http://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html

If you are a registered user you should have received an email with download details, if not, send me a PM.
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Jack I just bought 1.3 , I have to thank you for making one of the most original Instruments ever!! This thing is 200% what I was looking for, and it sounds fantastic - I'm digging your music on soundcloud - your one heck of a talented dude.

keep up the great work.

ged leitch wrote:Hi Jack I just bought 1.3 , I have to thank you for making one of the most original Instruments ever!! This thing is 200% what I was looking for, and it sounds fantastic - I'm digging your music on soundcloud - your one heck of a talented dude.

keep up the great work.
Wow, thanks man!

I'm glad Phonec is working out for you :)

First, some praise:

I'd just like to chime in and echo Ged's statement.

This is one of the most original concepts I've seen executed in a long time. And as it stands, exactly what I have been looking for. The idea that you explicitly called out the "VHS" effect as the inspiration for the Melt feature (and the instrument overall) was exactly why I bought it!

So many times VST designers are all keen to use the word "analog" or "tape", or whatever, but it's obvious that there are different schools of thought on what that means. Or at least, why that is supposed to be cool or interesting. Phonec is the first VST that I've ever seen that has understood this for the reasons I actually wanted, and I am even more pleased that you implemented the ability to use it as an effect as well!

The Melt feature, and the clever implementation of the polyphonic LFO3, the HFO are all incredibly original, and something I am amazed to see come together under such a clear vision. In one fell swoop, you have created 3 completely original effects that I have never seen in another instrument before. I mean, that's almost amazing, if you think about it.

Thank you for having the guts to create a truly unique and beautiful instrument. I can see myself using Phonec for a long time to come. Now if only I had some Beyond the Black Rainbow style projects to work on :(

Second, a features suggestion\question:

There was only one features I noticed was missing on my first time using Phonic, and that was After Touch (or Midi learn in general). Is there any chance these midi learn will be added in future updates? I would really like to apply it to the cutoff for some Blade Runner style emotional swells. I am sure I can jury rig some make shift solution in Cubase in the mean time.
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Norrin_Radd wrote:First, some praise:

I'd just like to chime in and echo Ged's statement.

This is one of the most original concepts I've seen executed in a long time. And as it stands, exactly what I have been looking for. The idea that you explicitly called out the "VHS" effect as the inspiration for the Melt feature (and the instrument overall) was exactly why I bought it!

So many times VST designers are all keen to use the word "analog" or "tape", or whatever, but it's obvious that there are different schools of thought on what that means. Or at least, why that is supposed to be cool or interesting. Phonec is the first VST that I've ever seen that has understood this for the reasons I actually wanted, and I am even more pleased that you implemented the ability to use it as an effect as well!

The Melt feature, and the clever implementation of the polyphonic LFO3, the HFO are all incredibly original, and something I am amazed to see come together under such a clear vision. In one fell swoop, you have created 3 completely original effects that I have never seen in another instrument before. I mean, that's almost amazing, if you think about it.

Thank you for having the guts to create a truly unique and beautiful instrument. I can see myself using Phonec for a long time to come. Now if only I had some Beyond the Black Rainbow style projects to work on :(

Second, a features suggestion\question:

There was only one features I noticed was missing on my first time using Phonic, and that was After Touch (or Midi learn in general). Is there any chance these midi learn will be added in future updates? I would really like to apply it to the cutoff for some Blade Runner style emotional swells. I am sure I can jury rig some make shift solution in Cubase in the mean time.
Well thank you, I'm glad you appreciate my efforts.
Right before I released Phonec, I was almost worried that not many people would get it. But I'm glad I pushed through and did it anyway. Comments like these really inspire me to go further. :)

Ah, Beyond the Black Rainbow 8) I've been talking about a variation of Phonec dedicated to sci-fi/horror. This is a perfect example of the sound I'd be trying to capture with this next instrument.

As for your feature requests. I have an update in mind for improvements to Phonec's echoshifter, giving it some dub delay features. Aftertouch is something I meant to implement early on, but kind of forgot about it, so I'll add it this time around. Midi learn is something I should implement in all of my synths, just havent really looked into it yet. If it's something I can do easily, I'll try to put this in as well.

Jack, just completed a new song using Phonec for all synth parts + bass, and cubix for drums...

http://soundcloud.com/garth_knight/gart ... subroutine

ged leitch wrote:Jack, just completed a new song using Phonec for all synth parts + bass, and cubix for drums...

http://soundcloud.com/garth_knight/gart ... subroutine
Man this sounds incredible! :love:
Do you mind if I add this to my Phonec playlist on the PM website?

why of course, please do, i'm really glad you like it - I love Phonec especially belive it or not for bass - also cubix is a fantastically effective drum synth - so easy to get ideas flowing.

ged leitch wrote:why of course, please do, i'm really glad you like it - I love Phonec especially belive it or not for bass - also cubix is a fantastically effective drum synth - so easy to get ideas flowing.
I'm glad Cubix is still getting use these days. I find it really useful for jotting down quick beats, testing effects, or even for making minimal, loop based tracks.

Return to “Psychic Modulation”