The Future of Psychic Modulation, Synthedit Mac Compatibility and 64-bit Plugins

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's been a lot of talk lately, well not that much actually, about Synthedit catching up to the current state of today's technology. So I just thought I would chime in with where Psychic Modulation stands on this bridge of uncertainty. At this pioint in time, Synthedit is still only able to produce 32-bit plugins, and cannot port to Mac. That's not good, and doesn't seem very promising for serious musicians or developers. However, there is talk of a beta version currently in the works that is able to port to mac, in a very limited way, but it's a start. Apparently 64-bit capability is on it's way as well. I feel slightly optimistic, slightly only because I have no idea of any timeframe. But I'm optimistic that it will eventually happen.

That being said, I have no plans of abandoning Synthedit. I've been using this platform to make plugins for nearly 10 years, it's what I know and it integrates very well with my music and has become an artform in itself. Each plugin I work on is like a painting, starting with a blank canvas I'm able to get my ideas onto it quickly, and it just flows. I've never coded, but I couldn't imagine it having the same creative workflow. As an artist and musician, a program like Synthedit integrates seamlessly. I just love using it. My plugins wouldnt be the same if I were using a different process. However, in the unlikely worst case scenario that Synthedit were to become obsolete, I guess I would just have to learn Reaktor...

Now some of you might have concerns about the future of commercial Psychic Modulation plugins like Phonec, Construct or Dubtron. These plugins will evolve and adapt. Take Cerebrum for instance, it's at v4.0. It's come a long way. I don't abandon projects easily. And my recent works are no different. So my current plans, and future plans are as follows:

Dubtron2 will be the last 'new' plugin until Synthedit is able to produce 64-bit Mac plugins. I don't see the point in working so hard on something that most people will not be able to use, or where various aspects might become obsolete at any point, like 3rd party modules, GUI functions, etc. However I will continue to do various updates on all current plugins, bugfixes, sound improvements, etc. using Synthedit in it's current state.

When Synthedit does aquire these capabilities, I plan to jump straight into Phonec v2.0 and possibly a new instrument. During this 'in-between' moment, I'll reserve my energy for gathering ideas, and experimenting. But I don't want to release anything else until I know it will be a solid product.
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fair enough! thank you for the info mate!

a happy customer of yours.. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Thanks for the information, glad to hear Phonec won't be abandoned any time soon.

Keep up the excellent work!

I agree it makes sense to think of new concepts until day x so that you can start building immediately. New concepts might be difficult, though, as I assume the number of available modules will be much smaller initially so you probably can't even do Phonec 64-bit, let alone something wild and new.
And regarding the 32-bit version, I feel like developers have already done what is possible with it. All they can do is make ever more complex stuff, but that usually does not appeal to most people.

I have owned and demoed various non-SE synths, but at the end of the day I always end up returning to my good old SE stuff :) They offer the best balance between sound quality, features, CPU load, and price.
Basically I am only using your Phonec and Superwave's Tarkus these days as far as real synths (i.e. not romplers) are concerned. Both stand out from the ocean of standard SE plugins...

These are some passionates and wises words Jack. Keep up your amazing work, I'm eager to test Dubrtron2 ! (hope this one will include the pitchwheel I was asking for!)
Long live Psychic Modulation ! :tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote:New concepts might be difficult, though, as I assume the number of available modules will be much smaller initially so you probably can't even do Phonec 64-bit, let alone something wild and new.
Yes there will be fewer 3rd party modules, however so much can still be done using Synthedit's standard modules. It all really just takes experimentation. Chris Kerry's modules, his arpeggiator for example, is usually a go-to for me, however an arpeggiator can also be built using native modules. In most cases modules just make it easier and more efficient to do some things. Kind of like a shortcut. However some modules are fundamental to the GUI, like David Haupt's Sub Control modules. But we've also seen some of these standardized into Synthedit's architecture more recently, so I'm hoping that's the case with the new version. But in any case I have no doubt that we will see a new wave of 3rd party module developers crop up.
fluffy_little_something wrote:And regarding the 32-bit version, I feel like developers have already done what is possible with it. All they can do is make ever more complex stuff, but that usually does not appeal to most people.
I don't think we've even scratched the surface of what's possible. Some of the best cretions were done in the early days of Synthedit. Have you heard of Land Of Cockaign plugins? I don't think they're available anymore, they kind of dissapeared off the internet, but they were way ahead of their time and showed us all what Synthedit was capable of. And keep in mind that was like 2002 I think? Synthedit has come a long way. If it were to stay in it's current 32-bit version, it would only become obsolete because platforms will not be able to run it's plugins, not because it's limited in it's abilities.

Great to hear that "so much can still be done..." Its inspiring to hear this.
"It all really just takes experimentation". I find this to be true especially on my side.

PsyMod has always released useful plugins with many innovative features. Aethereal, Photon and Metatron come to mind.
Why not release updated versions with what using them has revealed maybe along with some detailed usage notes ?

As for a new approach, sonic plugins need not necessarily be music tools.
ChakraChimes is a Metaphysical Sonic Instrument. A bit over the top maybe but a new direction anyway ...

http://www.anotherplanerecords.com/sonicpath.htm

PsyMod has always released useful plugins with many innovative features. Aethereal, Photon and Metatron come to mind.
Why not release updated versions with what using them has revealed maybe along with some detailed usage notes ?
Some of these have evolved into newer synths and some have plans of evolving. Aethereal, however is one of the older ones that is well overdue for an update. And yes alot of my update plans are based on the strengths and weaknesses I've discovered through using them in my own music.
As for a new approach, sonic plugins need not necessarily be music tools.
ChakraChimes is a Metaphysical Sonic Instrument. A bit over the top maybe but a new direction anyway ...
I like the concept of the plugin you sent me. I still haven't got around to trying it out, but the idea seems interesting.

Edit: Nevermind, I saw the other posts.

Return to “Psychic Modulation”