phonec feedback

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just wanted to say, thanks so much for developing Phonec and especially the Melt function. I had been looking for a way to obtain that degraded VHS type sound to process external audio like pads, or simply to add "character" to samples, for a very long time - trying to automate pitch shift plugins, combining vinyl and tape emulation plugins with LFO generators, trying to write jesusonic scripts in reaper, etc but nothing ever got me the sound I wanted. So when I finally came across phonec, dialed up the melt knob, and got exactly the sound I had been looking for all this time, I was floored! Just the right amount of randomness and control. I now use this all the time and couldn't live without it.
The funny thing is that after only using Phonec as an fx for routing external audio through the Melt function for a while, I started playing with the synth a bit more, and I now find myself using it in this capacity more and more. In fact, I even use it in places where I would have traditionally used samples and not dreamt of using a synth VSTi because up to Phonec they simply couldn't match the "character" of samples. So well done, you really have a unique approach to designing synths that are inspiring and don't just follow the mold of what everyone else seems to be doing.

A couple feedback notes on phonec:

1) I placed the phonec fx plugin after the aethereal demo in reaper (to use the Melt function on the aethereal output), and everytime I changed the aethereal preset, the phonec fx would also change preset, so I would lose the Melt settings I had dialed in. I don't know if fx versions of VSTi's are supposed to ignore program changes, and not sure why doing a program change in one VSTi would be transmitted out anyway, but it's something I noticed in case it can be fixed (no big deal though).

2) Would be cool to have some more options for the noise knob, perhaps a panel where you can color it with filters or eq, different types of noise, noise amplitude random variances etc.. With the melt function engaged, I think noise adds more character than it might with a 'regular' synth and thus is more important, so it would be cool to have a panel within phonec with more control over it. I have a preset right now where I just can't quite get the noise volume right - I think I need to lowpass it - I can probably do what I need with 2 phonecs in series and maybe an eq though.

3) Like I said, I really love the Melt function as it is now, but if you were to continue to expand/develop it further (perhaps into a standalone fx plugin?) here are some ideas:
- the ability to add melt sliders (pitch, jmp etc) as modulation targets in phonec (I know they can be automated, but it's nice to have everything self-contained in a phonec preset)
- maybe a subtle flutter that randomly comes in on occasion to further degrade things?
- on pads I sometimes like to add a vinyl warp effect for a more dramatic 'jolt' to the pitch, something like Izotope Vinyl, or Speakerphone (Gramophone section)

but I'm not really satisifed with how these plugins sound and don't really like the regular periodicity of the effects (every LP rotation), I'd prefer it to be more random. I guess it similar to the melt-jump effect, but more dramatic and rarer (but more pronounced).

Anyway, just some thoughts, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with, and especially synths and effects with that late 70s early 80s sound aesthetic.

just wanted to say, thanks so much for developing Phonec and especially the Melt function. I had been looking for a way to obtain that degraded VHS type sound to process external audio like pads, or simply to add "character" to samples, for a very long time - trying to automate pitch shift plugins, combining vinyl and tape emulation plugins with LFO generators, trying to write jesusonic scripts in reaper, etc but nothing ever got me the sound I wanted. So when I finally came across phonec, dialed up the melt knob, and got exactly the sound I had been looking for all this time, I was floored! Just the right amount of randomness and control. I now use this all the time and couldn't live without it.
Excellent! I'm glad you found what you were looking for :)
The funny thing is that after only using Phonec as an fx for routing external audio through the Melt function for a while, I started playing with the synth a bit more, and I now find myself using it in this capacity more and more. In fact, I even use it in places where I would have traditionally used samples and not dreamt of using a synth VSTi because up to Phonec they simply couldn't match the "character" of samples. So well done, you really have a unique approach to designing synths that are inspiring and don't just follow the mold of what everyone else seems to be doing.
Thank you :) I'm happy that Phonec has been so well received. It really is an addictive little synth. I've been using it quite a bit in my own music, and like you stated, in ways that I normally would have used something else.
A couple feedback notes on phonec:

1) I placed the phonec fx plugin after the aethereal demo in reaper (to use the Melt function on the aethereal output), and everytime I changed the aethereal preset, the phonec fx would also change preset, so I would lose the Melt settings I had dialed in. I don't know if fx versions of VSTi's are supposed to ignore program changes, and not sure why doing a program change in one VSTi would be transmitted out anyway, but it's something I noticed in case it can be fixed (no big deal though).
That's strange. Might just be a simple fix, I'll look into it...
2) Would be cool to have some more options for the noise knob, perhaps a panel where you can color it with filters or eq, different types of noise, noise amplitude random variances etc.. With the melt function engaged, I think noise adds more character than it might with a 'regular' synth and thus is more important, so it would be cool to have a panel within phonec with more control over it. I have a preset right now where I just can't quite get the noise volume right - I think I need to lowpass it - I can probably do what I need with 2 phonecs in series and maybe an eq though.
This was part of the original idea, I planned on having a much more elaborate noise generator, but I guess I got sidetracked with other features. But Phonec is still a work in progress, so this is a great idea that I need to return to. Essentially I'd like to be able to modify the sound enough to emulate VCR noise and tape hiss.
3) Like I said, I really love the Melt function as it is now, but if you were to continue to expand/develop it further (perhaps into a standalone fx plugin?) here are some ideas:
- the ability to add melt sliders (pitch, jmp etc) as modulation targets in phonec (I know they can be automated, but it's nice to have everything self-contained in a phonec preset)
- maybe a subtle flutter that randomly comes in on occasion to further degrade things?
- on pads I sometimes like to add a vinyl warp effect for a more dramatic 'jolt' to the pitch, something like Izotope Vinyl, or Speakerphone (Gramophone section) but I'm not really satisifed with how these plugins sound and don't really like the regular periodicity of the effects (every LP rotation), I'd prefer it to be more random. I guess it similar to the melt-jump effect, but more dramatic and rarer (but more pronounced).
I'll take these into consideration, namely the 'jump' improvements. I know what you mean, and totally agree.
Anyway, just some thoughts, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with, and especially synths and effects with that late 70s early 80s sound aesthetic.
Well thank you for the feedback, it really triggered a few ideas, i appreciate it.
Check out the new Dubtron2 that I'll be releasing next week. It's got a similar vibe going. Much different than Phonec, but similarly full of character.

Phonec is my favourite VST synth, but I have an ongoing problem in Tracktion in that it keeps losing the selected preset when I save and exit projects. Each time I do so it defaults to the first preset when I reopen the project, both in the default bank and in Organics.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any reference to it here.

Richie

richiehoop wrote:Phonec is my favourite VST synth, but I have an ongoing problem in Tracktion in that it keeps losing the selected preset when I save and exit projects. Each time I do so it defaults to the first preset when I reopen the project, both in the default bank and in Organics.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any reference to it here.

Richie
Hi Richie, does it eventually revert to the right patch or just stay on the default? In other words, is it just initially or is it simply losing the patch altogether? Also, does it save any changes to the controls at all?

Return to “Psychic Modulation”