GUI suggestions

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First, a disclaimer: I'm not one of the alpha testers, and I'm not a former Muzys user (I briefly tried CM Muzys).

I have a comment to make about GUIs in general and, since this doesn't really fit in with the already existing topics, I though people might want a separate thread they can add to for GUI discussions.

All I want to say to Jo is, whatever you do with your GUI, make sure it works sensibly on multi-monitor systems. I hate apps that assume they are the only thing on-screen that you want to interact with. These are the ones that, by default, open maximised and make you do everything in the main window. One of the problems there is that Windows typically maximises the window on only one monitor, so you are already wasting half the screen real estate on a dual-head system.

I like apps that let me move child windows outside the main frame window, and position things freely over however many monitors I have (and remember their positions). Unfortunately, not many audio apps (well, that I've used) offer that complete flexibility. Some go part way there, some not at all.

But that's my big hobbyhorse, so I thought I'd mention it to you before the whole GUI for your new app is so entrenched it's difficult to change.

ooh i like this idea too...

HI

I also mentioned this to Jo some time back ...

Hopefully widows will be able to be moved around and placed between 2 monitors.

Being able to spread the arrange page accross the two would also be a good idea - other app tend to 'stretch' a single page GUI accross 2 monitors - which does not look particularly good.

Porpoise.

porpoise wrote:other app tend to 'stretch' a single page GUI accross 2 monitors - which does not look particularly good.
I agree - stretching like that is particularly ugly.

Currently MUTON is using 2 windows: the main window and the audio mixing desk window.

They both can be moved and resized as you please.

So you can move (one of) them to another screen too.

Example:

Move the mixing desk window to monitor 2.

This leaves more space on monitor 1. So you can give more space to the main window on monitor 1 :)

Is this what you guys are talking about?

And hide/unhide mixing window could be possible?

Yes that's possible:

Hide => close window
Show => Edit Menu->Show Audio Mixing Desk

you are the MAN jo!

muzycian wrote:Is this what you guys are talking about?
Yes, that sounds good to me.

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to move the windows for each VST plugin anywhere also, but I don't know how that fits in with your current UI. For example, in FL Studio and Audiomulch, VST windows are clipped to the main window. This irritates me (other people may not be so fussy). Whereas, in Plogue Bidule, you can move the VST windows anywhere. This is (IMO) much better, but the GUI library Bidule uses has a bug where it doesn't remember the positions of those windows, and so if I move them to the second monitor, save the project, close everything down and start it up again, the windows are centred on monitor one.

It's these sorts of details that maybe aren't essential to some people, but getting them right creates a good impression.

MUTON indeed allows you to place the plugin window anywhere you want. And it memorizes this position.

So it should all work fine.

(though i couldn't yet try it out myself as i don't have a multi-monitor setup right now)

I only have to finetune something regarding the different editor windows of multiple instances of the same plugin.

muzycian wrote:Yes that's possible:

Hide => close window
Show => Edit Menu->Show Audio Mixing Desk
could we possibly get this to open and close by pressing a "f#" button?? like in cubase, you pres f3 and it toggles the mixing desk... I find that it makes things so much quicker when i dont have to click around the screen :)

Yes, lateron some kind of "Window Sets" will answer that need.

This is a pure cosmetic gui question from a dinosaur.

Had a job writing code in machine language years ages ago (when intel and Apple were in startup, but not for them), then moved on to other ventures and so don't have a notion of the infrastructure of todays software. Is it possible to open in a rack type arrangement the gui for all the effects at once for a given channel as in guitar rig. there is just something pleasing about messing with the control of a track this way.

hmm doesnt sound likely, but i see how that might increase workflow efficiency.

guitarfrodo wrote:This is a pure cosmetic gui question from a dinosaur.

Had a job writing code in machine language years ages ago (when intel and Apple were in startup, but not for them), then moved on to other ventures and so don't have a notion of the infrastructure of todays software. Is it possible to open in a rack type arrangement the gui for all the effects at once for a given channel as in guitar rig. there is just something pleasing about messing with the control of a track this way.
You can open the editors together for all effects for that channel.

That gets you very close to your request, right?

Return to “MUTOOLS”