LUNA PreRelease 5

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pljones wrote:I had an idea for picking targets... This might sort out the confusion of having the same instrument/effect plugged into multiple racks, too. If a "folder structure" was presented, where the racks were the top, the entries were the next level and then any lower level targets with them:

+ Some collapsed Rack
- Some expanded Rack
..- Multitimbral VSTi
....> MIDI In #1
....> MIDI In #2
....> MIDI In #3
..+ Some collapsed effect
..- Some expanded effect with a side-chain input
....> The side-chain audio in
+ Some collapsed Rack
etc
Nice!

++ edit

The only thing is then: A Rack will be shown as a group, and the first item in that group must be the rack itself.

Thus it would become like e.g.:

- Racks
..+ Rack A
..- Rack B
......Rack B
......Synth 1
......Effect 1
......Vol/Pan/Mute
......Effect 2
..+ Rack C
+ MIDI Outputs
+ Others
Last edited by muzycian on Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

muzycian wrote:Thanks for the crash log! Researching this.
<edit>this crash log gives me some xml file, not a crash log file..?</edit>
I just tried it and it looks like a normal log here. Oh, and I'll try getting the other one up now, too. Yep, the other logfile's there now.
Yeah, now i got the second log file, which first leaded to an xml. Maybe because of some default rerouting on your server? Anyway, got it, and i could extract the exact crash location from it. So got another piece of the puzzle, thanks.

I tried hard to let crash PR5c, but i couldn't.

Maybe you guys can get me some fresh i.e. PR5c crash reports?

muzycian wrote:
pljones wrote:One more feature request... (Reviving an old one for PR6 ;))

Can we have the MIDI In panel back, with each port*channel having the same routing choices as a Sequence Part, please? You could hide it under "Edit->MIDI In Routing" so it doesn't clutter the simple user interface.
I've added it to the Whish List.

But it's a more "Pro" feature that certainly has less priority than things like:

(in unsorted order)

Breakpoint Automation Envelopes
Integrated Synth / Effects
Flexible Audio Loops
Freezing
I'm curious if Luna will also have a integrated sampler at some point?

MattmaN wrote:
muzycian wrote:
pljones wrote:One more feature request... (Reviving an old one for PR6 ;))

Can we have the MIDI In panel back, with each port*channel having the same routing choices as a Sequence Part, please? You could hide it under "Edit->MIDI In Routing" so it doesn't clutter the simple user interface.
I've added it to the Whish List.

But it's a more "Pro" feature that certainly has less priority than things like:

(in unsorted order)

Breakpoint Automation Envelopes
Integrated Synth / Effects
Flexible Audio Loops
Freezing
I'm curious if Luna will also have a integrated sampler at some point?
That's under "Integrated Synth / Effects".

So you may read that as "Integrated Synth / Sampler / Effects" ;)

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Crashes are spooky sometimes. I was categorising my Effects. I'd done about 50% of them and thought: "What if LUNA crashes now? Should I exit? I'll just do the one I was about to start and then exit..."

So it crashed just after hitting OK on the Plugin Manager.
http://www.drealm.info/luna/200701211257-drwtsn32.log

What happens to the MIDI channel on incoming MIDI events? I'm trying to use a multi-timbral VSTi - ORGANized Trio. Chs1-3 have different settings. If I switch my keyboard between channels, I expect to get different sounds. But I don't: it's as if LUNA is deciding what channel to use. But changing the Part's channel doesn't seem to have any effect, either.

So I'm confused!

--edit--
And another thing: if I click off a part so that the part panel is blank, incoming MIDI is routed to the last selected Part's target. Is that intended?

pljones wrote:Crashes are spooky sometimes. I was categorising my Effects. I'd done about 50% of them and thought: "What if LUNA crashes now? Should I exit? I'll just do the one I was about to start and then exit..."

So it crashed just after hitting OK on the Plugin Manager.
http://www.drealm.info/luna/200701211257-drwtsn32.log
I'm sorry about that crash.

I'm still hunting for a possible crash bug, but even with the crash log files you send (thanks!) i still couldn't find him :(

I've a suspicion that the bug is when a window (that includes a popup menu window) is closed.

But it's so unrepeatable, arrgh :-o

I keep on searching.

For now, please regularly save.

By the way: message to all LUNA FREE users:

If you can find a repeatable bug and send me the necessary info to kill a bug, then you win a LUNA Unlimited User License, and that includes a full year of updates!

pljones wrote:What happens to the MIDI channel on incoming MIDI events? I'm trying to use a multi-timbral VSTi - ORGANized Trio. Chs1-3 have different settings. If I switch my keyboard between channels, I expect to get different sounds. But I don't: it's as if LUNA is deciding what channel to use. But changing the Part's channel doesn't seem to have any effect, either.

So I'm confused!
LUNA sends the incoming midi events to the current target (cfr Part Property Panel).

Now there is a little issue in pr5c that makes that if you change the midi channel for a part, then that is not immediately reflected in the midi input event processing.

Solution is to reselect that part again and then you'll hear the events on the new midi channel.

This issue is fixed in the next release.
--edit--
And another thing: if I click off a part so that the part panel is blank, incoming MIDI is routed to the last selected Part's target. Is that intended?
Yes.

What happens to the Channel on the incoming MIDI message? Is it just discarded and replaced with the one on the Part? (So Parts can't be multi-timbral?)

pljones wrote:What happens to the Channel on the incoming MIDI message? Is it just discarded and replaced with the one on the Part? (So Parts can't be multi-timbral?)
Yes, the incoming channel is replaced by the channel set for the current part.

And yes, indeed, parts can not be multitimbral.

If you want to sequence a multi-timbral synth, use different parts, each having its own channel.

So this means live MIDI Input cannot currently be routed to a multi-timbral VSTi? (Can you tell I'm having trouble accepting this idea? ;))

I'll see what i can do.

It breaks the model of one MIDI Channel per Part, so I'm not sure now is the time to be fixing it. It's not a high priority, actually, for me - but it might surprise people. Less with PR6 and the fix to following the Part's channel.

Really, for multi-timbral support, you need to get back to something like the Muzys multi-player and that's definitely a 1.x not 1.0 feature. So long as 1.0 has a consistent "single channel per Part" (and per recording) approach, I think that's best for now.

Return to “MUTOOLS”