What makes a Synth a Synth?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just thought I'd (finally) have a play with SFZ Buddy. It works really easily in LUNA - just drop it in the rack above SFZ and it controls all the "hidden" (MIDI CC-driven) parameters without any fuss.

My only question is... it was listed as a Synth. Yet it has no audio outputs. In fact, it just turns User Interface gestures into MIDI Output messages. Is it a Synth just because it has no (declared) audio inputs?

(I know I've got at least one "Synth" that also works as an effect (either ZR3 or Organized Trio - OT, I think).)

Also, I used the VST Plugin Manager to give SFZ Buddy a Group... but the Synths don't appear to use this.

Doesn't sound like a Synth to me. OTOH, it's hard to see it as an Effect, either. Listed as a Synth where? I don't see it here on KVR.

Originally, of course, a synth(esizer) was something that created sound synthetically, rather than through some natural acoustic process. So, our VSTi instruments qualify as synths in my mind, but this sounds like more of a software-based MIDI controller.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

The dev declares whether the plugin is a synth or effect within the code for the plugin. LUNA probably uses this declaration to catagorise plugins as VSTi or VST effects rather than the number of inputs.

pljones wrote:Also, I used the VST Plugin Manager to give SFZ Buddy a Group... but the Synths don't appear to use this.
Will be improved!

Return to “MUTOOLS”