How best to organise plugins folders ?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[ Culled from my earlier post ]:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

I'm creating a revised folder structure for my 3rd party (non-MuTools) vst's, soundfonts, samples, players, etc, as my existing folder structure isn't as tidy and consistent as I would like.

At the same time, because MU.LAB now uses the term 'Module' as a basic unit, I'll probably reflect that in my folder-naming.

I'm on Windows, and am thinking along the following lines - but just wondering whether other people use a different approach ?

The 'MODULES' folder would contain 2 sub-folders:

The 'SOFTWARE modules' sub-folder would contain 3 sub-folders, as follows (for example):

The contents of those 3 sub-folders would be something like this (for example):

This structure may seem a bit detailed but, as you can probably guess (!), I like to have a place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Les J.

Improviser wrote:At the same time, because MU.LAB now uses the term 'Module' as a basic unit, I'll probably reflect that in my folder-naming.
Note that MU.LAB still uses the term VST plug-ins.

To clarify the MU.LAB terminology:

A module is anything that can process audio and/or MIDI.
A VST plug-in is also a kind of module.

My personal VST folder structure is like this:

Code: Select all

+ MyVstPluginLibrary
  + TryOuts
  + Selection
    + Effects
    + Synths
Personally i don't mix audio files and plugins, i put these two in separate folders.

Anyway, it's something personal, organize it in a way You feel comfortable with :)
Last edited by mutools on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Man, you are just too organized. Tied up in your own ropes.

You have too much Structure and no Proper Vibe.

Go with the flow, Mannn...
Free your Mind and the Folders will Follow!

It's a balance: organize it, but indeed don't over-organize it, the goal is making music :)

mutools wrote:A module is anything that can process audio and/or MIDI.
A VST plug-in is also a kind of module.
Thanks Jo, for taking the time to give feedback - and for reminding me that a module is something that can process audio, not just midi.
I guess I knew that really, but I tend to think mainly about midi processing, as I'm a bit more involved with midi than audio, at the moment.

Indeed, it may therefore make sense to retain the current naming of my top-of-the-tree folder as 'PLUGINS' rather than MODULES.
mutools wrote:Personally i don't mix audio files and plugins, i put these two in separate folders.
Could I ask whether you mean, by this, that the files in your 'Selection' folder (and its sub-folders) are mainly .DLL's - rather than including any files relating to instruments of the 'sample libraries' type, etc ?

Thanks again.
Les J.
Last edited by Improviser on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mauseoleum wrote:Man, you are just too organized. Tied up in your own ropes.

You have too much Structure and no Proper Vibe.

Go with the flow, Mannn...
Free your Mind and the Folders will Follow!
Big smile !
Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully I'll avoid getting bogged down with 'organisation'.

Creating and naming a few folders on disk only took 10 minutes. Posting them to forum took a bit longer (because of the image-making, etc).

Anyway, comparing this with my playing live since 1959 (yep, I'm no spring chicken !), I reckon my balance of 'Structure' to 'Proper Vibe' is probably not too bad.

I hope, like me, you'll continue to enjoy making music !

Les J.

Improviser wrote:Could I ask whether you mean, by this, that the files in your 'Selection' folder (and its sub-folders) are mainly .DLL's - rather than including any files relating to instruments of the 'sample libraries' type, etc ?
Indeed, mainly DLLs but also patch banks that belong to the plugin.

mutools wrote:
Improviser wrote:Could I ask whether you mean, by this, that the files in your 'Selection' folder (and its sub-folders) are mainly .DLL's - rather than including any files relating to instruments of the 'sample libraries' type, etc ?
Indeed, mainly DLLs but also patch banks that belong to the plugin.
Thanks for clarifying.
I'm getting there !

Les J.

Note that the "TryOuts" folder may not be relevant for you. I've created it as i have to try out vst plugs from time to time for MU.LAB development, but i want to keep them separate from my personal favorites. Sometimes i try one out and i like it and so it moves (simple move or reinstall, depending on plug) to MySelection.

I also have a separate folder "MySoundLibrary" where i store all sample files, grouped per category.

Anyway, as said, all this is pure personal, and please do it the way it fits your way of making music.

mutools wrote:Note that the "TryOuts" folder may not be relevant for you. I've created it as i have to try out vst plugs from time to time for MU.LAB development, but i want to keep them separate from my personal favorites. Sometimes i try one out and i like it and so it moves (simple move or reinstall, depending on plug) to MySelection.

I also have a separate folder "MySoundLibrary" where i store all sample files, grouped per category.
Thanks. I guessed that was probably the case.

A slightly related topic, but regarding the VST Plug-In Manager:

(a). In VST Plug-In Manager, I can easily delete a plug-in from the list, by selecting it, then doing Right-click->Delete.
I may have missed something, but is it possible to select several plug-ins, and delete them all in one go ?

(b). Using VST Plug-In Manager, I can create and name a 'Group' of plug-ins, which will then show up in the "Choose Module->VST->" list, when clicking an empty Rack slot.
Is there a quick way to delete such a 'Group' ?

Les J.

Improviser wrote:(a). In VST Plug-In Manager, I can easily delete a plug-in from the list, by selecting it, then doing Right-click->Delete.
I may have missed something, but is it possible to select several plug-ins, and delete them all in one go?
Not yet. But if the plugins you want to delete are following eachoter, then use the [Delete] key and it will go very quick.
(b). Using VST Plug-In Manager, I can create and name a 'Group' of plug-ins, which will then show up in the "Choose Module->VST->" list, when clicking an empty Rack slot. Is there a quick way to delete such a 'Group' ?
Yes, just choose "No Group" from the group list. This has been added very recently, i.e. version 3.0.37.

mutools wrote:Not yet. But if the plugins you want to delete are following eachoter, then use the [Delete] key and it will go very quick.
Got it. Thanks.
mutools wrote:
Improviser wrote: (b). Using VST Plug-In Manager, I can create and name a 'Group' of plug-ins, which will then show up in the "Choose Module->VST->" list, when clicking an empty Rack slot. Is there a quick way to delete such a 'Group' ?
mutools wrote:Yes, just choose "No Group" from the group list. This has been added very recently, i.e. version 3.0.37.
Thanks.
It's also working nicely here in version 3.0.38.

I also meant to say that I like the way MU.LAB picks up (from the VST Manager's 'Type' column) on whether the plug-in being added to a Group is a synth or an effect, and puts it in the right part of the "Choose Module" list - even if (just for fun), I make a 'Group' containing a couple of synths AND a couple of effects !
MU.LAB is becoming spookily human !

Les J.

Return to “MUTOOLS”