midi question

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Guys,

I have a korg electribe es-1 sampler. I don't know if you're familiar with this device, but what I am trying to find out if I can midi it from my fast track pro soundcard and be able to play mu.lab synth's from the es-1, since it has so many knobs and buttons. I have been trying to get it to do something last night and I have had no luck.

Funk01

I know I am not as advanced as you guys, but when it comes to midi, I have alot to learn. I tried reading up on it, but I still can't get it.
This is the best KVR forum, because everybody is so helpful. I keep checking for replies and it's still at zero. Sorry I just had to say something which so much activity going on.

Thanks,

Funk01

If the Korg machine sends out MIDI notes and/or controllers, then you can indeed use it to play sounds and control parameters in MU.LAB.

It's about making a typical MIDI setup.

Connect MIDI out of Korg to MIDI in of FastTrackPro.

In MU.LAB, EDIT menu -> MIDI Setup: Make sure you have enabled the FastTrackPro MIDI input.

There you go!

You can try opening the Modular Area and adding an event monitor module. Double click on this to open it and then play with the controls on the es-1 to see what MIDI data it is outputting.

I funk01, sometimes there is a lack of activities in this forum. I guess we are just playing and enjoy M3 so much and most of the problems are being worked out so less and less checking out for answers.

I am not sure if you want to have the MuLab synths's parameters being controlled by your es-1 or the other way around.
Are you sure that the es-1 is able to function as a Midi controller?
Otherwise I do not think you can map its controllers to MuLab synths.

My knowledge in this area is not as deep as others users.
I use DAWs as straight forward as possible.
Hope this will draw some attention from more TechUsers.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Thanks for the tips you guys. Im gonna keep trying and use the advice you guys have given me.
And yes liquidsound I do want the es-1 to become a midi controller, but what I need to find out if it is.

Thanks again mu.forum.

funk01

I am not familiar with you device but a controller has usually a Midi out (but that doesn't make it a controller) and /or a USB connector, but again that too is not a controller exclusivity.

For sure you have one or both of these outputs, so then you should follow Jo instructions and then take it from there.

Also the es-1 manual should have some kind of reference to this. You can usually find manuals if you Google for it or use the Korg forums.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

The manual doesn't show any examples of it being a controller, just on how to link it up with another midi device. It has midi in/out
But again that does not mean it can be a controller.

According to the manual:
  • Tap Tempo and MIDI Clock can be used to synchronize the performance with an external sequencer, turntable, etc.
  • The ES-1 can be controlled from an external sequencer or keyboard as a MIDI sound module.
So, it doesn't sound from that like you can use it as a sequencer to control another unit (e.g. MU.LAB). However, in the MIDI Implementation Chart at the back of the manual, it claims to transmit MIDI Note On (min vel 30, no note off) and NRPNs/Data Entry messages (that will be for the knobs, then) - and a bunch of other less interesting stuff. Unfortunately, the "NRPN/Data Entry messages" is where it falls apart. I don't think MU.LAB can bind to an NRPN.

If this is the case then it may be too complicated to work.

Thanks for the feedback,

Funk01

pljones wrote:I don't think MU.LAB can bind to an NRPN.
That's correct.

Return to “MUTOOLS”