Creating Your First 'Mod Map'in MUX

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The modulation matrix is basically a system for mapping controllers to various destinations on your synth. In offering multiple sources and destinations the mod matrix provides the user with an amount of control similar to that of a modular system. This sort of freedom allows us to build more complex involving patches that would be be pretty much impossible with a few limited modulation controls.

Not all instruments have a mod matrix included in their feature set and you may need to turn to more advanced synths to find one.
It seems that MUlab has no modulation Matrix and will have never be one?
So can we construct modulation matrices ? in MUX

Within a MuSynth:

A meta-parameter can be mapped to multiple destinations using the parameter mapping table.

Two meta-parameters might target the same destination.

Multiple meta-parameters can be controlled from the same (MIDI CC) source.

If you want to do this with collections of external modules, yes - you can use a MUX to get pretty much the same effect.

pljones wrote:
If you want to do this with collections of external modules, yes - you can use a MUX to get pretty much the same effect.
The main problem is to know what you want to modulate and therefore is a modulation matrix handy
In MUX it is a set of modules connected and therefore you must organise this
to get oversight of the modulations seems to me?
That is a disadventage

If you see increased flexibility as a disadvantage, yes. In most systems, the mod matrix has a fixed set of sources and targets. In the MUX, this doesn't apply.

pljones wrote:If you see increased flexibility as a disadvantage, yes. In most systems, the mod matrix has a fixed set of sources and targets. In the MUX, this doesn't apply.
what do you have on increased flexibility when you cannot control this and have oversight?
But this in theory ..now in MUlab ? :)

MULAB tells you what you've got your Meta-Parameters connected to and what's controlling them, so I'm not sure what further information you're missing?

I think MU.LAB's modular editors are implicit modulation matrixes!

No 'traditional' modulation matrix needed, it's all in there, in the modular editors, as you can route modulations as you want!

mutools wrote:I think MU.LAB's modular editors are implicit modulation matrixes!

No 'traditional' modulation matrix needed, it's all in there, in the modular editors, as you can route modulations as you want!
Yes, you're right ! It's far better than what you can see in Reason, where all these cables are a nightmare !

pquenin wrote:Yes, you're right! It's far better than what you can see in Reason, where all these cables are a nightmare !
Cables.... :hihi:

Maybe janamdo is also alluding to the visual feedback of a matrix system....
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote:
pquenin wrote:Yes,
Maybe janamdo is also alluding to the visual feedback of a matrix system....
Yes , it seems to me handier to work with
Therefore perhaps Mulab can do filtering in the controllermap to collect the same parameters
But in practice.. how many parameters are to handle in MUX ?, probably less than MegaMatrix synthesizer ?

I just discovered a another synth as example the ultimate modulating matrix..i loaded this in MUlab :o
--------------------------------------------------------
The Starplugs MegaMatrix synthesizer is a classic "old school"
modular synthesizer. Its totally free routing concept combined with
highly precise and powerful modules are the basis for very special
synthesizer sounds and effects.
Like the classic analogue modular synthesizer systems the
MegaMatrix features a long row of single synthesizer modules.
Starplugs invented a new kind of routing matrix for the
MegaMatriX synthesizer to connect the synthesizer modules highly
variable. It combines a 1060-routing-point matrix with a 256-
mixing matrix. You will appreciate this easy to handle concept and
you'll get used to "the addiction factor" of the MegaMatriX. You
will be lost in time and space while winding up your music with
powerful and extravagant sounds.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Wow that's monster! I'll need Neo to deal with that size Matrix... :D
I use the MUX for blending together synth such as z3ta+, Albino, zebra etc. and the sound quality can not even be approached by any single monster synth for example.

But I understand your point on a Matrix system if you are into that.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “MUTOOLS”