How to use Reason rewired????

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I select Reason as a "plugin" in a rack, choose target of the track and choose Reason...

I open Choose Midi Channel menu and there I find Bus 1 Channel 1-16, Bus 2 Channel 1-16 and so on....

But how to route a Reason device permanent to this system???

I tried, but it plays always the device which is selected in the Reason sequencer???

Trancit

OK, what I found out so far:

Bus 1 plays the Reason devices depending on the focus in Reasons Sequencer

Bus 2 triggers Bus A in Reason advanced Midi device
Bus 3 triggers Bus B...

Is this correct, or is there another way???

Trancit

Trancit wrote:OK, what I found out so far:

Bus 1 plays the Reason devices depending on the focus in Reasons Sequencer

Bus 2 triggers Bus A in Reason advanced Midi device
Bus 3 triggers Bus B...

Is this correct, or is there another way???

Trancit
As far as I know there are two ways but I am leaving work as we speak.. (write).
If no one answers, tonight I will explain my favorite one.

BTW it's so good to be able to use Reason without their sequencer! :troll:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Hi Trancit! Back from dinner. Bad restaurant!

This is the way I rewire Reason but I am sure that it can be done differently.
I am just stuck with this method because it works for me from the beginning and I like to use Reason as a collection of individual VSTs.

The other way is to use it as a complete unit going through one rack, as I understand it, in sync with MuLab sequencer.

Here we go:

Open Mu.Lab first and open a New Session.
Open the MPA, the Modular Area in the Edit Menu.
Right click anywhere on an empty spot preferably on the top area.
A small context menu appears and choose: Add Module.
A long context menu appears and under ReWire choose Reason.
A long Module appears with the name Reason.

So far so good... Next

Before anything else, connect the first (left) RED output of the Reason Module to the RED top triangle of Rack A.
Double click the Reason Module: Reason will launch and open with a Default template which I have no idea what will be because it has to do with the way you set up Reason.
Whatever template loads up I need you (for this exercise) to delete everything including the mixer.

You should be left with only the Hardware Device in the Reason Rack.
The Hardware Device should display " ReWire Slave Mode". If not, something went wrong and you may have to Quit all programs and repeat from the very beginning.

Stay in Reason and Create a Thor. TAB to show the back and open the hardware device in order to see the cable connections. Thor is on Output 1 and 2.
Create another device. Try not to create a subtractor right now because we want only stereo devices. So get a Malstrom.
Connect the Maltrom outputs to the hardware device to output 3 and 4.
You can now add more if you want, adding one by one to the hardware device. No effects yet please. (keep short for now)
(If you want you can use Reason effects by inserting them in the audio chain between the Thor, for example, and the Hardware device.)

Go back to MuLab (be careful not to close Reason by accident) and in the Modular Area connect the second AND third RED triangle of the Reason Module to the RED top triangle of Rack B.
If you have loaded more devices in Reason then keep on going: 4 & 5 to Rack C etc. It would be better not to run out of Racks yet...

If you want you can close the MPA. Up to you.

Right click Track A (it says Rack A) and Choose Target Module: Select Reason.
Do the same for Track B and Track C if you have more Reason devices.

After this, Right click again on Track A (now the name has changed to Reason)
and Choose Midi Channel. Here you need to go down until you get to Bus 6 where you will see the names of the Reason devices, Thor, Malstrom etc.

(Do not choose Hardware Interface. Also if you had insert the effect as mentioned above after Thor you would see it in the Bus 6 list together with the other devices but you would still select the Synth, no the effect).

Select Thor and click OK.
Go to Track B and repeat and choose Malstrom.
If you have more, keep on going.

Done!

Now each Track controls each individual device in Reason and each Reason Devices has a Rack in MuLab!
You can use exclusively MuLab magnificent midi editor and mixer etc.
All your mixing can be done here! Each Reason device has its own Rack!

This is how I use Reason and I must confess that I prefer MuLab built-in synths to the ones in Reason. MuSynth has a superb quality to rival them and Tho, if you will!

Now you can experiment more with combinators etc. Do not forget that you can use Reason inside a MUX as well. MU.LAB IS INSANE! :hyper: :wheee:

I hope this helps you to use Reason as an alternative to the method in the MuLab Docs on line if I recall correctly.
:?

I would appreciate if anyone has a better way to do the same thing.

Arrivederci! :D

liquidsound wrote:Hi Trancit! Back from dinner. Bad restaurant!

I am just stuck with this method because it works for me from the beginning and I like to use Reason as a collection of individual VSTs.

The other way is to use it as a complete unit going through one rack, as I understand it, in sync with MuLab sequencer.
Look at the example of routing a Multi VstI in the MUlab tutorials :Using A Multi-Out VSTi Within A Rack (http://www.mutools.com/mulab/tutorials/ ... index.html)
- a sub mix ( see example )
- all channels or less (racks)
- one channel(one rack)

It is a analog situation for a rewire instrument its now only streaming audio
to route this to racks ( the rewire instrument looks like a multi vst)
Last edited by janamdo on Sun May 09, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

janamdo wrote:

Look at the example of routing a Multi VstI in the MUlab docs :Using A Multi-Out VSTi Within A Rack
- one channel(one rack)

The audio routing was not my problem...it was the choosing of midi targets.

I didn't see before that from Bus 6 they were named, so I dealed with the advanced midi device of Reason, but the named targets in the list of the track are better of course...

Thx very much to liquidsound!!!!

Trancit

By the way, is there a special reason, why MuLab shows the named ones not before Bus 6???

Trancit

I think that's a question for Propellerheads.

MU.LAB just shows what Reason tells to MU.LAB.

Trancit wrote:By the way, is there a special reason, why MuLab shows the named ones not before Bus 6???

Trancit
Yes I have the same result in Tracktion.
Maybe the Propellerheads figure that we need more room in the busses before loading an Instace ( Disturbance :hihi: ) of Reason. :lol:

janamdo wrote:Look at the example of routing a Multi VstI in the MUlab docs :Using A Multi-Out VSTi Within A Rack
- one channel(one rack)

liquidsound wrote:Do not forget that you can use Reason inside a MUX as well. MU.LAB IS INSANE! hyper Wheeeeeee
:roll:

You love the MUX as much as I do :).
As far as I know though if you want to use Reason and have a "Standard Mix" ( as usual ) having Reason really function as VSTs in each Rack of the mixer, using a MUX, to my knowledge, is probably impossible.
It would be nice if the Rack added in the MUX could be "Docked" in the mixer or if the additional Audio Out modules in the MUX would show up as additional Triangles so that in the MPA you could connect the MUX to each Mixer Rack.

BTW if you use the MUX in the MPA you need then to additionally assign in Reason, in the hardware Device, the Devices to the relative Midi channel.

But Again... I might have missed something here.... :D

Maybe i'm missing something but why not simply inserting Reason In the Modular Session Area?

Then you can use all its outs, route them to racks, racks are visible in rackdesk.

mutools wrote:Maybe i'm missing something but why not simply inserting Reason In the Modular Session Area?
You mean MPA?

Well, this is what I did the previous post.
I was trying to answer to janamdo because he mention the MUX.

Since your here can you tell me if there is any other way to do what I do in order to have Reason playing from different Tracks and each Track targeting its own Rack in the Mixer? (you may have to go through my painful detailed post... :oops: )

I can't read the whole text now, but in short there are 3 ways where you could plugin Reason:

1) In a rack slot
2) In a MUX
3) In the Modular Area (will rename it Modular Session Area it think)

Option 1 only allows the use of Reasons main stereo out.

As you want more it's option 2 or 3.

With option 2 you can also use racks in that MUX, but the racks won't be visible in the rackdesk as the rackdesk only shows the racks in the MSA.

So that's why i propose option 3.

Hope this helps.

(going offline now, will be back lateron)

mutools wrote:I can't read the whole text now, but in short there are 3 ways where you could plugin Reason:

1) In a rack slot
2) In a MUX
3) In the Modular Area (will rename it Modular Session Area it think)

Option 1 only allows the use of Reasons main stereo out.

As you want more it's option 2 or 3.

With option 2 you can also use racks in that MUX, but the racks won't be visible in the rackdesk as the rackdesk only shows the racks in the MSA.

So that's why i propose option 3.

Hope this helps.

(going offline now, will be back lateron)
YES. Option 3 is the one I proposed to Trancit so you don't need to read the text.
I guess janamdo didn't read it either :x :wink: (as usual?)
Last edited by liquidsound on Sat May 08, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here we go:

Open Mu.Lab first and open a New Session.
Open the MPA, the Modular Area in the Edit Menu.
Right click anywhere on an empty spot preferably on the top area.
A small context menu appears and choose: Add Module.
A long context menu appears and under ReWire choose Reason.
A long Module appears with the name Reason.

So far so good... Next

Before anything else, connect the first (left) RED output of the Reason Module to the RED top triangle of Rack A.
Double click the Reason Module: Reason will launch and open with a Default template which I have no idea what will be because it has to do with the way you set up Reason.
Whatever template loads up I need you (for this exercise) to delete everything including the mixer.

You should be left with only the Hardware Device in the Reason Rack.
The Hardware Device should display " ReWire Slave Mode". If not, something went wrong and you may have to Quit all programs and repeat from the very beginning.

Stay in Reason and Create a Thor. TAB to show the back and open the hardware device in order to see the cable connections. Thor is on Output 1 and 2.
Create another device. Try not to create a subtractor right now because we want only stereo devices. So get a Malstrom.
Connect the Maltrom outputs to the hardware device to output 3 and 4.
You can now add more if you want, adding one by one to the hardware device. No effects yet please. (keep short for now)
(If you want you can use Reason effects by inserting them in the audio chain between the Thor, for example, and the Hardware device.)

Go back to MuLab (be careful not to close Reason by accident) and in the Modular Area connect the second AND third RED triangle of the Reason Module to the RED top triangle of Rack B.
If you have loaded more devices in Reason then keep on going: 4 & 5 to Rack C etc. It would be better not to run out of Racks yet...

If you want you can close the MPA. Up to you.

Right click Track A (it says Rack A) and Choose Target Module: Select Reason.
Do the same for Track B and Track C if you have more Reason devices.

After this, Right click again on Track A (now the name has changed to Reason)
and Choose Midi Channel. Here you need to go down until you get to Bus 6 where you will see the names of the Reason devices, Thor, Malstrom etc.

(Do not choose Hardware Interface. Also if you had insert the effect as mentioned above after Thor you would see it in the Bus 6 list together with the other devices but you would still select the Synth, no the effect).

Select Thor and click OK.
Go to Track B and repeat and choose Malstrom.
If you have more, keep on going.

Done!

Now each Track controls each individual device in Reason and each Reason Devices has a Rack in MuLab!
You can use exclusively MuLab magnificent midi editor and mixer etc.
All your mixing can be done here! Each Reason device has its own Rack!

This is how I use Reason and I must confess that I prefer MuLab built-in synths to the ones in Reason. MuSynth has a superb quality to rival them and Tho, if you will!

Now you can experiment more with combinators etc. Do not forget that you can use Reason inside a MUX as well. MU.LAB IS INSANE! :hyper: :wheee:

I hope this helps you to use Reason as an alternative to the method in the MuLab Docs on line if I recall correctly.
:?

I would appreciate if anyone has a better way to do the same thing.

Arrivederci! :D
Respect for the effort and time you spend trying to help and explain (in great detail) to fellow MuLabrians on this forum liquidsound! :tu: :hail:

Return to “MUTOOLS”