Oscillator samples

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Musynth uses very high resolution samples for it's oscillators (4096 samples) which is nice. I've got a bunch of 2048 sample waveforms though which I would like to use. Musynth loads them but there is a gap in the waveform. Would it be difficult to interpolate the waveform as it is loaded or does anyone know of any tools that could convert them?

My usual answer for something like this would be "sox", though I've not done this with it.

Hi,

i've been loking for tool to make this for a long time but i finally didn't find one so i decided to open a thread in the samples forum.
The result is that a very gentle guy, nix808, has created a tool that does the resampling quite well. I've already used it with mulab's osc and works fine

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 46#4071446

Read his license terms on the post, if you want to use it comercially you have to buy a license thought

also this should be useful if you plan to create the samples yourself

http://members.casema.nl/bertkoor/MusicCalc.html
Last edited by Juan Mendoza on Sat May 08, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

pljones wrote:My usual answer for something like this would be "sox", though I've not done this with it.
thanks for this :tu: , i was looking for a format conversor/fast-player i'll chech it assap

I just thought... sox can probably automate trimming your samples, Juan... ;)

* Load the waveform as a sample
* Select all of the sample, and copy to clipboard
* Paste it into the oscillator waveform display and then Mix=100%
MU.LAB will automatically resample it to correct length

:)

Edit:

1) Juan, i think we were talking about this before, right? It could be that i didn't realize at that time it was already in there :oops: Now by looking things up again, i saw it was possible in the above way

2) I've added a note on the whishlist to also be able to do this directly on "Open WaveForm"

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

pljones wrote:I just thought... sox can probably automate trimming your samples, Juan... ;)
WOW, i'll tell him, i hope so :cry: is really boring to trimm let's say 300 samples or more. But i'm not shure if he'll be able because he creates his SW using SynthMaker and i don't know if this app has such precise audio editing tools, but i'll tell him about this.

mutools wrote:* Load the waveform as a sample
* Select all of the sample, and copy to clipboard
* Paste it into the oscillator waveform display and then Mix=100%
MU.LAB will automatically resample it to correct length
This works, also for 96khz 32bit files, nice :)

the problem is that seems that this process changes the waveform a bit, seems that quantizes the wave in some way. Maybe it's the oscillator itself, i don't know.
That's what i do: i load a single cycle as a sample (i.e. a sharp sinish wave), select it entirely copy & paste it to the oscillator at 100%, the waveform is resampled but visually seems to be rounded and looks more like a pure sine.
Then i save the wave from the osc save wave option and cheeck this wave in the audio editor > when i compare the waves they are so much different. because the new one (i.e. the saved from the osc) is infact an almost perfect sine wave and the original one is so imperfect

1) Juan, i think we were talking about this before, right? It could be that i didn't realize at that time it was already in there :oops: Now by looking things up again, i saw it was possible in the above way
yes :roll: :D

the problem is that seems that this process changes the waveform a bit
could this be that the osc is generating the mising bits or samples till it matches 4098 samples?

Juan Mendoza wrote:the problem is that seems that this process changes the waveform a bit
Please mail me that original waveform so i can have a look to what you mean.
yes :roll: :D
Sorry mate! It must be the workload here.

I did some test, if i use normal single cicle waves all is fine, the resampled versions are like the original waves, there's no noticeable change. The problem happens if you load very tiny waves, just a few samples, then the resulting wave is rounded. But i don't see a problem here because it's normal that if there's not enough infomation to fill 4098 samples then appears non existing data.
In the zip file you'll find two waves Test and Test1, those are the waves i used yesterday for my test. Test is the original wave, and test1 is this wave imported and saved by the oscillator.

EDIT: I've sent you the waves by email.

Juan Mendoza wrote:I did some test, if i use normal single cicle waves all is fine, the resampled versions are like the original waves, there's no noticeable change. The problem happens if you load very tiny waves, just a few samples, then the resulting wave is rounded. But i don't see a problem here because it's normal that if there's not enough infomation to fill 4098 samples then appears non existing data.
Indeed.
In the zip file you'll find two waves Test and Test1, those are the waves i used yesterday for my test. Test is the original wave, and test1 is this wave imported and saved by the oscillator.

EDIT: I've sent you the waves by email.
Thanks.

Return to “MUTOOLS”