changing grid size for all selected parts

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to change the grid size for all parts in a composition,
or all selected parts ?

I can change the grid size of a composition, but this does not affect the already available parts.

When selecting some parts, in the context menu there is no grid menu.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

There is no direct way to change the grid of all selected parts at once. But using a shortcut will speed up the action.

OK, thanx

add remark:

when I set the composition grid size,
then adding new parts should default to this composition grid size,
but this is not the case (isn't it?).
In particular, if you choose a swinged grid for whole composition,
there might be only very few cases, where you want your single parts in a no-swinged mode.

Eggu wrote:add remark:

when I set the composition grid size,
then adding new parts should default to this composition grid size,
but this is not the case (isn't it?).
You mean new parts inherit the composition grid?

No, that's not the case.

I think the composition grid often works per beat or per bar where sequence parts rather work on 1/16th etc.

If I like to give a (ready) composition a "little swing",
it is very annoying changing grid part by part.
(might be a real composer only decides once at the launch of new composition).
I also noticed I have to open the seq editor to change grid,
in the context menu of the part there is no grid menu, isn't it ?

"Qunatize notes" I can select in the seq./functions menu, also with multiple parts selected, but then only one (the last selected ? seq. under cursor ?) part is affected.

Fastest way is using shortcuts.

There is a note on the wishlist about doing multi part operations.

PS: Tip: Sometimes i need to repeat a certain function a couple of times, but don't need a permanent shortcut for it. That's why i personally reserve the X key for temporary shortcuts so to speed up certain actions. Also note you can also assign a shortcut to open the shortcut editor! So things can go quite quick.

How about a shortcut that performs the last function :wheee:
(not a redo, but displays the dialog box again if there is one)

That's a good idea, i'll research it.

Thank you for your hints
to have a workaround for multiple-part-actions.

But once again I like to state my (very personal) opinion,
that especially the "swinged grid" should be
a property of the complete composition (along with the "beats per bar" property.

I think it's an interesting musical question to fellow musicians here:

When using a 'swing' in your composition, then is the 'swing factor' always equal for all sequences in that composition?

Or do you also use different swings in the same composition to create an even more 'live' feel?

mutools wrote:I think it's an interesting musical question to fellow musicians here:

When using a 'swing' in your composition, then is the 'swing factor' always equal for all sequences in that composition?

Or do you also use different swings in the same composition to create an even more 'live' feel?
Just last week I was reviewing a year old database I wrote for my department and due to the complexity we had to upgrade to get a database management tool to have an "top" view of every Field (Parts?)and tables (Composition?) of the database (Session?).

The list editor is a great editing tool, rarely found in the extents of Mu.Lab.
I was thinking that since you have a Logical Selector (another great tool), this could function as a Filter in the List Editor window in order to show only the results, and hiding the rest, allowing us to work in different ways with those results.

BUT

If this is done at the Composition level, than you can select anything anywhere, through a Filter, and then apply, for example, a Swing factor selectively, if so, to whatever you wish etc.

Of course, than the List editor should include other values and this could be a killer tool for a musician.

You could include more data to really have an idea of relation ships within the composition.

It may sound crazy, but.....
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

mutools wrote:Or do you also use different swings in the same composition to create an even more 'live' feel?
Ooh... I'd be happy with a single swing factor when doing scratch composition but I'd probably want to be able to vary the feel through a larger work - faster sections with less swing, etc, maybe dropping to straight time for some parts. I guess it's a bit like a Tempo Change...

Well, since we are talking about grid, it could be helpful to shortcut the grid sizes themselves so that during writing we can just jump to details without going through those swings settings ( with the Shortcuts) and then here and there ending up in the No Grid zone.

I tend to do a lot of work in the higher grid settings (64th - 128th) and back to 16th or 8th and it's a pain to go through the menu or "sliding via shortcuts"....it's hard on my brakes! :)

Anyway, that's me again with the Pencil work.... :roll:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “MUTOOLS”